Hip Replacement/tying shoes

Posted , 22 users are following.

I had hip replacement 6 1/2 weeks ago.  I have been unable to easily tie my shoe for years.  I was under the impression after surgery, I would be able to do this.  I am able to get about as close to my shoe as before surgery.  I have been doing PT and exercises at home.  Trying to walk without cane.  I get very sore after this.  I am getting so frustrated.  Will I ever get to the point where I am pain free and feel this was worth it?  I am really unsure at this point.  

1 like, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi MK, I asked this very same question at about 5 weeks post op.  I'm now about 5 months post op & can (with only a wee bit of difficulty) tie shoes.  I also still have a limp; but have been given by my physio (NHS) exercises to strengthen the muscles around the replaced hip. Remember that these muscles have been wasting away for well over a year (leading up to my qualifying for the THR); so it's likely going to take a number of months before one can walk without a limp; & without any pain afterwards.  However ~ take heart: as your muscles return to fitness you should find that both limp & pain disappear.  The only 'problem' is that it takes months, rather than weeks.  Hang in there; good luck.
  • Posted

Hello from Toronto Canada!

I am 6l, waited 4 years for surgery (just the wait time for dr, tests and specialsts, etc) and am now l3 week post op for my right hip.  I can't even get near my laces either, and to put on my right sox i have to lay ont he bed and kinda bend my leg and with luck and a few tries can get the sox on!!!! This is how, believe it or not the physiotherapist told me to do it without stresses my hip! (just glad no one has a camera in the bedroom!!!).

I just started back to work, only 3 hours standng (retail)  2 days a week and I'm in pain with that, so will be going to 2 hours.  I also go to physio twice a week and do my l5 exercises at home twice daily...it is a work in progress....it took me a long time to get as bad as I was so I'm not expecting any quick fixes...surgery is the first step, physio the second and then time is the third.....lots of good advice on this site...best of luck, patricia

• Posted

I do know I can reach down and tie my shoe now.  I just had to be brave and trust my new hip really could flex more than before.  I just got my sock on myself last week at 2 1/2 weeks.  Keep stretching.  It really does work.  I have actually fallen down the stairs twice due to my legs being different lengths and the new hip is strong!
  • Posted

If its helps you feel better mkwins63......

I am 11 weeks post, left-hip replacement. I have been quite lucky and was mobile very quickly (4 weeks off crutches - 8 weeks could do pretty much everything) BUT...

still cannot get down far enough to tie my left shoe lace easily: its a big struggle. So what I'm saying is ....dont worry ... you're not alone and its quite common! Keep doing those exercises!   

• Posted

You will get to that point of appreciating the fact that you had the operation done. The reason you can't reach your shoe now, is not because something is wrong inside it is because your hip is tight. It's just going to take time for your bones and muscles to grow onto it. I am about 8 weeks out and I am finally at the point where I am happy I had the surgery done. But keep in mind it is different for everyone. I pushed myself really hard, not too much to where my hip couldn't handle it but I did everything I was supposed to, and took it to the extreme. I did that because I wanted to get back to dancing, now 8 weeks out I'm starting to dance again pain free!
  • Posted

I'm 14 weeks post op and can only just fasten my shoes now.  6 and a half weeks is still early  - why do people have such high expectations?  This is major surgery and messes with muscles etc and it does take while.  Be patient and carry on with your exercisises 
  • Posted

I was in tears at six weeks post op because I couldn't get down to tie my laces after someone else had told me that they could. Surgeon told me that I must not try to force my body to do anything and to be patient and just allow it to get there. I have had two hip replacements and can bend to the floor ok now. Just give it time.
    • Posted

Tip to all those who can't tie their laces.........wear slip on shoes with no laces and get a long shoe horn.
  • Posted

I am 13 years post op on a bilateral hip replacement. I can tie my shoes but I choose the easy way out. Tie then before you put them on, ordinary lases or elastic laces if you cn get them and I use a long shoe horn, 89p from Ikea to put them on.

Socks are ok to put on but I am still careful not to twist too much even after all this time, do only what you are comfortable with doing.

You can buy a gadget to help  put your socks on with, just look on the net. Things will get easier for you but don;t forget it is still early days, don't rush it.

• Posted

If you are 13 years post op then you can do mostly anything you like to do. All activities. I mean your muscle is already healed. There is no way that hip will dislocate.

Disloaction will only occur when your Gluteus Minimus and Gluteus Maximus are weak and still healing from the stitches. Then we become vulnerable to hip dislocation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.