Hip Replacement very soon

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hey all pre-admission today and I cried all the way through almost!! Embarrassed much! Terror is a word I would use to describe how I am feeling. The operation is scheduled for 5th December early am and I am having thoughts of backing out trying to convince myself I am doing ok.

So I am also having a bone graft with mesh.....not the kind that has proved to be problematic for women I am hoping??? : (

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a spinal block, it was brilliant. I opted for no sedation as I wanted to know what was going on. I think most people like to be sedated though! I believe you can have different levels so you could have earphones and listen to music if you wanted.

• Posted

I think you are really brave. I couldnt do that. Thanks for your response. I have such a sore stomach am not sure if anything is up or if its anxiety....no idea....seeing surgeon tonight to have a chat with him and bloods tomorrow.

• Posted

Hi there

Have just found out that I am having a GA due to them not knowing how long the operation will take....feeling horrendous : (

• Posted

Take the positive from this. At least you'll be asleep through the operation and i'm sure you'll be fine!! The worst part of the op for me was walking up to theatre and sitting on a bench and getting my spinal, not knowing if id be awake or id feel anything during the op. At least with a GA you'll be asleep through it all. It'll be fine, I promise.

Good luck,.......try not to worry!

• Posted

Best of luck for your op. It is supposed to be one of the most successful operations in the world today. A lot of people prefer GAs.

• Posted

Good luck today Lilylou, in a few hours you will see your fears were unfounded and be able to laugh about them. Your recovery begins today. 😁

• Posted

Hello people

Well its done....not without some tears....so I lost 40% of my blood and needed a couple of blood transfusions, I have felt ghastly the past few days but today (I have just got home), I am noticing a difference in how I am feeling (thank goodness).

I am walking up and down my driveway with crutches, it all feels a bit tight and I am not sure what I should be aiming for distance wise by when...but I am moving regularly then resting on my bed or sitting in a chair....and repeat....I am on paracetamol and a slow release tramadol that I can take once every 10 hours and thats it....

Apparently the operation itself is a success and a bone graft with the stainless steel mesh in the end was not needed so it is a primary straight forward replacement.

Any advice on walking distance or what I could be aiming for would be fabulous....I am worried I am relying a little too much on my crutches.....I may have unrealistic expectations of myself : )

Anyway just wanted to update you all as the first few days were a write off in terms of experiencing a fast heart rate due to extremely low haemaglobin....its still low I went in to the operation with 145 and after the transfusions its gone up to 91 so it will be a few weeks of eating red meat, spinach and orange juice to help absorb the iron.

They have also noted that I take a long time to come around after the anaesthetic (I requested that I wanted to be fully cognizant after as I was given a choice)....but I drifted in and out of sleep fo ra long time. I was first in at half seven am but last out of recovery at 9pm due to everything that happened (Wednesday just been). Anyway thanks for your support and shared stories....any advice to my questions will be gratefully received. xxxx

• Posted

Lilylou, do not try and give up your crutches too soon, you can regret it further down the line. Use two crutches outside, if you are comfortable in a few days try one in the house. Only do what is comfortable for you, do not think you need to copy other people who say they are doing this and that incredible quickly. Do not worry about feelings around your scar like tingling, itching, hurting they may well persist for a few weeks

I used one crutch until about week twelve because the bone with the implant in slightly hurt when I put weight on, so do not worry if you feel aches, etc., for a few weeks.

So pleased you are recovering, onwards and upwards now. 😀😁

• Posted

I am glad you came out the other side OK. I had a blood transfusion too. I then had drips later on. Sounds like you are doing well, take it easily for the first couple of weeks just relax. Then slowly get back to normal. It takes time. I adopted a high protein diet and it really does seem to help healing. They say think of food as zero calories after a hip op!

• Posted

that sounds a bit hair raising but here you are now well on the road to recovery .

with my previous hip replacement i was given a hip guide which i followed exactly and gave me weekly targets

have you not been given a guide ?

sounds as though you are managing well but dont overdo it x

• Posted

Hello all

The guide I have been given by the surgeon is to walk, walk and walk walk........no weekly guide which sounds useful.

So I have been walking up and down my driveway then sitting for a bit then heading back to my bed to elevate my leg and ice it and repeat.....I am using both of my crutches but am so keen to ditch them but I want to be sensible.....

I am feeling less faint thankfully, I turned white yesterday and felt faint briefly so went to be for half an hour and then all good....I guess with very low haemaglobin I am on the backfoot....

Thanks all for your generosity in sharing your stories it helps xx

• Posted

Walking is really good and easy to do! Just don't overdo it. I go swimming too which I love.

• Posted

Did anyone have any swelling of their ankle on their operated leg? I have some minor swelling of my ankle on the operated side...my husband said I have a kankle......is that to be concerned about or a normal part of the body trying to repair itself?

• Posted

Swelling is very normal after a hip op. It will improve over time. A kankle is a lovely name for the ankle swelling.

• Posted

Hey there no the foot isn't swollen just the ankle....my thigh feels a bit numb still....

Good to hear its normal....

• Posted

totally normal swelling keep them raised now and again i used to after lunch when i had a nap

'toes above your nose' x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.