Hip replacements and martial arts

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi i had double anterior hip replacements 4 years and in the last 12 months gone back to taekwondo and mauy thai boxing . I cant kick as well as before , but im kicking thai pads with 70 % power . I do hold back . Is there anyone else out there training like myself . Im 47 years old

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good for you Michael. I'm 51 & had a very successful posterior THR 6 years ago. I returned to Crossfit after 18 months & Spin classes. All was going well until 2 years ago when the other hip needed replacing. I had anterior approach 12 months ago & it was a disaster. Had revision 6 weeks ago & still in rehab mode. I hope I can get back to Crossfit & Spin soon! Seems recover from revision is much harder😔

• Posted

Yes, I think recovery after revision surgery is slower. I had a two stage revision with the old hip removed in March and the new one in July. I'm now 9 wks post op, still walking with a stick (though I can walk a bit without) I have been on an exercise bike and think I will try riding a real bike in the next few days, Meanwhile my wife is 3 weeks post RTHR and has neen walking without a stick for over a week.

I'm 69 and have told my surgeon (who is cycling 100 miles next weekend) that I'm planning on doing 70 miles in a day to celebrate my 70th next year. Bit of work needed in the meantime!!

Mike

• Posted

Good on you Michael what an excellent goal👏👏life too short not to set your sights on achieving your goal.  My take is mindfully prepare & you will get there.

Damn hip revision surgery hey?? So frustrating! I'm progressing very slowly but setbacks occur. I guess more has to right itself, my hope is it will eventually be good. I have things I want to achieve just like you??

• Posted

When i had my both anterior done together they broke my right leg . It took me 12 months to back to normal in saying that i constantly have tight hip flexoirs cant jog . So i just take a couple of pain killers and train 3 times a week martial arts. I say it is what it is life short have a crack at what you enjoy and if the hips wear out i suppose we canbget them redone.
  • Posted

Dear Michael

I really do not want to be  kill joy but I would be very careful with the kicking because that could very well give you a dislocation!

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

Shores Goju Shodan. 67 and practiced up until had a LTHR at 65. Doctor told me to be smart unless I wNted a revision in a few years. We are all different. I now walk, swim, treadmill, weights. Just no violent kicks. Good luck 
    • Posted

Shorei.    Darn spellcheck
  • Posted

Hi - I had a hip replacement 2 years ago and was back doing Tai Chi Chuan after 2 months. It takes a while to build up again but I would say that I am back to where I was before my hip gave out. I think the weight bearing nature of TCC is particularly good for building up the muscles and bedding the new joint (uncemented) in. 
  • Posted

Hi,done kickboxing for 30 years(49now) and had to have rthr july this year,just gone back to the gym in the last couple of weeks and feeling good but don't think i will be doing anymore kicks just some light boxing from now on as the left hip is a few years away from a replacement i need to look after it.All i will say to you is try not to pivot fully into your kicks just to protect them hips a little but I admire you for getting back to it.

regards paul.

• Posted

No experience, but I'd say this...

You've taken time and built up muscles. You love your sport and life is not so wonderful without it. Just going myself now to a HIIT/synery360 class, 5k Parkrun at weekend, and a desert trek shortly. Not everyone is is lucky as us getting well after my 2 hip ops, but hey, sitting in chair dying isn't fun, ...life is wonderful so go for it!

Mic

X

• Posted

Such a great post to read Mic.

I'm 7 weeks post revision aaargh!!!  I love to train, spin classes, HIIT & strength work. At the moment my bottom lip is well & truly out😔 Got pain referring from my groin down to my knee. This is new pain & I think I brought it on myself because on Saturday I did some spin bike sprints out of the seat. I hope it settles down & that I haven't done any damage. 

I had a bone graft & psoas release as well as the acetabular cup replaced. (Fix up of THR done badly last June) 

I just want to get my life back. 

• Posted

Dear Mic

After my hip replacement twenty years ago ny surgeon said NO RUNNING and I respected this but I did everything else and lived a very physical active life with lots of fifteen hour working days for twenty years. Just had it revised because of wear to the poly cup. I was lucky with the outcome and recovery both times but not everyone is!

Unless you are prepared to have your hip fail sooner than otherwise would be the case and could be much sooner I strongly suggest that running would be a poor decision.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard,

Thanks for this reply: this is an interesting group and no two surgeons seem to advise the same!

I had my Birmingham hip resurfacing in 2002, still going strong.

My Exeter THR was in 2015: still going strong. 

My only advice was NEVER to go bungi jumping: this I have done.

I was told on both occasions common myths of no running or breast stroke swimming were not clinically based.

Still plan my Park run on sat: but no judo planned as yet!!

Warmly, good luck with your revovery

Mic

• Posted

Dear Mic

Thanks for your reply. I know how horrible it is to loose one's mobility so I'm going to do all I can to preserve my revisions.

Yes I agree that different surgeons seem to have different thoughts on what is safe to do. Nothing in life is certain so we make our choices and hope they are sound<G>

All the best. Richard

• Posted

Just to clarify...i have NOT done any bungi jumps and will not!

Folk still being advised not to do breast stroke swimming btw.

Exercise well and listen to Renner saying we must rest well too

Bye

Mic

• Posted

Dear Mike

I cannot see that bunji jumping would be any problem as you are not actually jarring your joints as in running or are you unless the weight/distance has been incorrectly calculated. Logic says to me that running has the potential to wear the joint faster and to cause the stem to loosen if it is not really firmly fixed in the first place.

Cheers, Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.