Hip replacements and martial arts

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi i had double anterior hip replacements 4 years and in the last 12 months gone back to taekwondo and mauy thai boxing . I cant kick as well as before , but im kicking thai pads with 70 % power . I do hold back . Is there anyone else out there training like myself . Im 47 years old

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

While I'm not doing martial arts I am working back towards adventure racing.  I am almost one year out of my right hip replacement and just over 4 months post on my left, both with bone grafts.  I am 31 years old.  I want to get back into my physical activities but won't be able to return to all of them (rugby is for sure a big no).  I'm back in the gym after my second replacement and working with my therapist (who is also a trainer) to get my strength back so I can attack more physically demanding activities.

I'm glad to see that you have been able to go back to martial arts, that gives me hope that I can also return to some of the more aggressive (without contact) sports that I enjoy.

• Posted

Hi YoungHipBionic

I don't know about Adventure Racing. It looks like they take a few falls and run into the odd tree. Possibly not ideal with a replacement hipbiggrin. Looks like fun if I was a bit younger though.

Mike

• Posted

I have definitely taken a fall off the bike in the past! I just won't be as rambitious (aka reckless) as pre-replacement.  I just can't sit still though!  Although I'm sure my surgery would like me to do that to some extent haha  As long as I stay strong that will help protect a lot of the joint, just prevent any impact is key for me

• Posted

Greetings all! While I am not named Michael and my reply seems to be 6 months after the OP,  I am a double hip replacement patient. Anterior THR right hip in May 2015 and the same for the left hip November 17, 2017. Puts me right around the 18 weeks post op point as of today. I've been a martial artist for approx 14 years. (Tang So Do) and will be 54 this coming July. It is encouraging to discover I am not alone in my trials and endeavors here. The cause of my hip issues are genetics-improperly formed femur heads lead to osteoarthritis and some lovely other issues that formed in my hip sockets along the years. After a lifetime of activity, roller skating, baseball, football, cycling and of course my MA training-I thought I had an annoying groin pull when in fact it was a deteriorated right hip! In all my prior activities-I never once had issue. The doctors were pretty amazed. However, that was then and this is now. After my 1st THR I returned to MA training entirely too soon (6 wks post op) and  developed Iliop-soas tendonitis in my right thigh then on top of it, bursitis on the same outer thigh. Pain is a word I thought I knew...I hope this helps someone out there to understand you MUST let your body heal-It is great to be motivated to return to your respective training discipline and do what you do regardless of all obstacles-I get it. PERSEVERE-a word I live by-but persevere smartly. It took me another 9 months to recover enough to train 'well' again. Sadly, after a few months the left hip ( I already knew it would have to be replaced) decided to start hurting and here we are today. I have done it smarter this time. Walking was my friend-I was off the cane by week 4 post op. I walked slowly, little victories-Outside, treadmill etc. I returned to MA training only 2 classes per week so far as of 3 weeks ago. Again, little victories. My kicks are not even waist high yet-I am using my acquired knowledge over the years to re-train myself like I would a beginner. Proper form and technique will increase strength and power. and yes, IT SUCKS! to not be able to do what I could and know I will be able to do so - run the marathon not the sprint. I mix workouts up-I do something every-day. Whether its treadmill work-simple walking or formal classes where I modify as needed-I stretch as much as possible daily, as many times as needed to get some relief. Flexibility is key-keep moving-do not remain stagnant-yes, it hurts and will-whats the option? Stop moving and you will STOP. Never quit. We are never out of the fight. I have added an old workout from Billy Blanks, Tae Bo Cardio to my weekly workout regimen-at least once per week, no more than 2x. again-it is OK to modify as needed-build slowly. I do daily pushups and crunches 7 days per week, no misses. Again-it was like starting over but I am making slow but steady progress. I have read where many of you sadly, have had to have second surgeries and do not want to put myself into a situation I possibly could have avoided. So thank you for bearing with my rant-I want someone to know its ok to feel like you do-there are others out here feeling like you have. Don't quit, Don't be afraid to modify-you will get better. It takes time. Blessing to you all! As we say in my art-Tang Soo!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.