Hip scar sunken in and dented

Posted , 32 users are following.

My thigh was tight and the scar area was hard in the beginning and now 4 months later my scar is sunk in and dented. It looks dented and feels dented. It also is still sore when I touch it. When I put my hand in my pants pocket I feel the big dented scar. Anyone else have this issue?

5 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Loral,

I will be seeing my Surgeon next week to discuss a THR. I am 57 and a bit overwhelmed right now. Any thoughts from folks out there regarding posterior vs. Anterior surgery? I'm retired so I don't have the pressure of a quick return to work and want to make the right decision for the long term, muscle viability, and rehab.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Kristen, I'm 54 and I had Anterior approach in May 2015, I am doing quite well. I used a wheeled walker for a few weeks, and a cane for about 2 weeks. I had Physical Therapy at home for 3 weeks and outpatient for 6 weeks. I have a bit of bursitis in my hip if I over do some activities, especially bending down. I would recommend Anterior, the hospital stay was 3 nights. The choice was my surgeons he's the expert. Good Luck with your decision, I can guarantee you that any procedure is better than the pain you are in now...Take Care

• Posted

Hi Loral, 

I am just over 4 months post op and mine is exactly the same. 

Comparing it to my unoperated side, there is a bit of a indentation there naturally, but its not as bad as the operated side....  It can be quite sore to touch and a always have dull ache in the muscles around it. 

The scar was a really deep red, however its started to fade in areas now.  It looks like someone has drawn a dashed line on me! 

David.

• Posted

Hi Local,I had my right hi replaced last year (March 2015) & very sadly for me I am not happy,as I feel achy & dentedI was never given time to recover properly as I am a full time carer,for my Disabled Hubby.He too has awul Osteoarthritis,but now from my point of view,I dead future ops,as I m so tense & dread ops.i try & have regular Reflexology every other week.My Husband is also severely sighted & deaf.So sorry to ant.regards Amanda

• Posted

My horror story startd 6 yrs ago,was sent 4 physio,diag as tendonitis,did physio 4 5wks couldnt do it.then had scan 4 hernia,not that either.Then had x rays,couldnt find anything.By this time when i sat down,it took 2 mins b4 i cud walk off.So next went 2 c rheumatology.After 2 visits he said u will need new hip soon.Then  was seen by surgeon 2 av inj into hip to define prob.My god that hurt.6 months later had new hip.Probs from day 1. So much pain.2months later had aspiration test and painkilling inj.that didnt work either.was seeing consultant inbetween. Then had ultrasound and inj into groin.That did nothing,But rad/ographer said something is going on.But again nothing done.My surgeon got another surgeon 4 second opinion.He said it was a trapped nerve.nothing done.So now i av gone nearly 2 yrs on crutches,With pain in my groin/thigh.tenderness to the touch over the scar,And it feels like i am sitting on a piece of wood,As well as being diagnosed as having Fibromyalgia.My brain is fried.Half the problem is i dont look 63 and i look well.This wk went 4 private consultation. Consultant doesnt want to know.So i am well up the KHYBER.Sorry 2 av droned on. TEDDY
  • Posted

Hi ,I got my surgery like 5 years ago n mines was dented in, n to this day it still is myOrtho said it's dead tissue,n will heal wen new grows in,he told me that many times,n yes it's still very sore I can't even wash that spot, I feel so embarrsed, I try to keep doin treadmill ,ihad to learn to walk again in rehab 3 months but can't jog orwalk fast

• Posted

hI I HAD A similar experience fell abroad broke neck femur had to have emergency surgery sadly went werong i got a fungus infection in the hip metal  plate and screws this happen 18th januay this year i am back in uk been in and out hospital but still problems. My scar and around goes in but my phsio says its because i lost lot weight and muscle damage so i think wearing a bikini for me no will look awful. I am walking in home with frame sometimes just a stick but really been housebound since ths as i have 24 steps my home no lift. it is a mess really they deceided keep the plate in and i have regular ct scans its not bonding they say, i dont want have more surgery i just dont, egypt ruined me     I cream the scar and i massage it but when i lay on that side its painfull. I spend a lot of time in bed now my room get so fed up what happened.
    • Posted

Hi I had mine done 5 years ago, n I can't even touch it lay on it or wash it I pay it in shower I had to learn to walk again in rehab 3 months I can't jog skip nothing it hurts 24-7 I had numoros MRIs x-rays said healed ok but idk y is this hurtin

• Posted

Hi Loral! I AM A 60 yr old female, and am 7 months post-op from my total hip replacement (anterior, so scar is on the side). My scar is 11 1/2 inches long! I too have noticed that, besides still being a bit sore from time to time, I now have this weird dent that is about a third of the length of my scar! Feels really strange when I rub my hand over that hip .. the scar is very smooth so that kind of makes me feel better!!!

• Posted

I had a THR 5 months ago and my scar was stapled. total length of scar is approx 8-9 inches, it is partly on my buttock and partly top of my thigh. The top 4 inches of my scar is dented and when I look in the mirror i can see it.

I am 76 so i am not worried about the long scar showing but until i read all the comments on this sight I was getting worried about the dent....but now realise this is obviously normal. I have not asked my doctor about it as getting an appointment these days is nigh on impossible.

I have a treadmill at home so i am going on it every day in the hope it will build up my muscle under the scar. My leg is a tiny bit shorter on that side but does not appear to have any effect.

• Posted

Mines a strange shape to my right hip scar bit knobbly but its a badge of honour for me !!!!

• Posted

I too have a huge dent which I absolutely hate, in fact I purposely have to wear shirts that hang outside my pants because it looks so bad! I'm 54 and shouldn't have to hide my body, not yet anyway! How can we fix this?

• Posted

I HAD MY HIP REPLACEMENT 7 MONTHS AGO.

SOMETIMES THE SCAR TILL HURTS AND IT STILL RED AND THERE IS A DEEP DENT.

I THINK THE DENT WILL STAY FOREVER BUT HOPEFULLY THE REDNESS MIGHT DISAPPEAR WITH TIME. I PUT ON VITAMIN E CREAM .

I NOTICED THAT YOU POSTED 4 YEARS AGO. IS THE SCAR ANY BETTER NOW?

• Posted

you are lucky. I am almost 2 years after my total hip replacement on the right side. It has never ever stopped hurting and my scar (about 8 inches long) at the bottom is indented more than an inch. I now have pain from the top of my hip down the front of my leg and into my knee since that surgery which I was told is the femoral nerve. I went back to my orthopedic surgeon six or seven times after the surgery complaining that the pain was so bad and it hurt worse now then before the surgery and he had the gall to say to me “well why did you have the surgery then?“ Well obviously I had the surgery because he’s the one who told me I needed it! I would not recommend this surgeon to a dog at this point and now I need to look for a new one to get another opinion on what’s going on and whether or not I need a revision surgery. Looks to me like litigation is definitely going to be coming. If anyone lives near Brooksville Florida I’m more than happy to share the name of the surgeon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.