Hiv symptoms but tested negative ?

Posted , 33 users are following.

So around 3 months ago I had unprotected sex with someone and shortly after developed symptoms similar to herpes. So I went to my doctor and asked for an std test and also an hiv test as I was also having hiv symptoms at the time. Everything came back negative including the hiv test. However I don't know what would be causing my symptoms. My symptoms are :

•weakness

•sore and aching muscles

•sore throat that comes and goes

•yeast infection and bacterial infection

•nausea

•weight gain without a change in diet

•dizziness

•racing heart at times not always

•shortness of breath at times

•swollen lymph node on one side of the neck

However the person that possibly could have infected me claims he regularly gets blood tests done and has been tested for stds. I'm just worried that I maybe tested too early . I tested around 1 month after possible infection. Is it possible to get a negative test when I'm positive if I test only a month after ? im really scared to go do a second test as I don't want to go through all the anxiety that it caused me doing the first test .

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Brandi,

Hiv does not cause weight gain..! You need not worry.

Have you checked for h.pylori and hcv ?

But there must be some infection you must check out.

• Posted

Hi. Can I ask if there was any other reason for suspecting a sexually related disorder? Any ulcers or blisters appearing?

If so there can be an answer to that which is not hiv or an std.

Your general symptoms sound auto immune in nature and could be a whole range of things not necessarily hiv. Did you have no symptoms of illness at all before this encounter?

• Posted

hi margaret, my symptoms are exactly like brandi's one and like you said recently some ulcers in my mouth and tongue have been appearing and going im worried coz i havent tested yet!

• Posted

None of your symptoms as a whole sound anything like hiv or herpes

If you google a symptom then put hiv on the end it will come up related

But that is everything

Your symptoms do sound very much like anxiety though!

And the swollen lymph node is probably swollen due to you keep touching it! Leave it alone for 2 weeks and it'll return to normal

If you tested negative after 3 months then those results are 100%

• Posted

Hey I’m having the same issue have hiv symptoms diarrhea,headache,rash,nausea,sore throat swollen glands but no fever at all  .I tested 2 weeks after exposure and it was negative, I  tested at 4 weeks and it was negative as well and my last test was at 6 weeks and it was negative as well I’m at my 8th week rn and these symptoms are still going on. 
  • Posted

Hi Brandi,

Again, you do not require to worry about hiv, but see whether anyother virus caused this. did you had any abnormal values in whilte blood cells, ESR...etc 

• Posted

Hi darl I have had some of the same symptoms as U did U ever find out what was the

cause

• Posted

Same situation. Any updates ?
    • Posted

I had exactly the same thing like the original post 18 months ago. I have tested hiv at 1m, 2m, 3m, 6m all negative. Last week I was feeling unwell, I have a ghsv1 outbreak at my anal. I went hiv testing again. Now I am waitibg for result. I hope it will be negative. Over these past 18 months, there was little happiness, but only constant worries about hiv or cancer. I am on psy meds for the whole period. Anxiety really kills me

Peter

• Posted

You are in my prayers.. please keep us updated.. and anxiety is the devil!!! 
    • Posted

I have good news to tell all of u. I did hiv test after 18 months its still negative. All previous test at 1 m, 3m, 6m were negative. So I concluded myself that I am not infected. My mind still bothering me sometimes , I got pimples at my anal and neck sometimes, headache sometimes, back pain, that must be due to anxiety disorder or post traumatic anxiety . God bless. Alleluia.
    • Posted

Hello Peter how are you feeling now .I have same case I tested for hiv after 20 months later ,result is negative but I have aids symptoms

• Posted

so tbis will be lengthy .

So i started dating this guy. after dating him i started to get symptoms .

Maybe a month later , i started having muscle twitching, pelvic pain and some burnng while urinating. several months later is when these symptoms started

Eye pain

tinnitus

jerking in legs

headaches

numbness in hands n tingling in feet

sore throat that would come and go

a rash on back of arms

weakness in legs

bloating

lose stool sometimes

i was treated for std like claymdia and would feel completely fine but then shortly the symptoms would come back.

i am 19 months past exposure and still nothing .

symptoms i have now muscle twitching all over body, numbness in hands and tingling in feet , tinnitus.

i dont know what to do ..

all tests negative

what about you

• Posted

Shakira, I too have many of the symptoms you speak of. I also have tested negative way past the window period. My only explanation is that there is something else out there of unknown aetiology. More then likely a unknown rna virus. If you are from the U.S. call the nih infectious disease department. Tell them your story , because the only way people like us are going to get help is if we speak out. Doctors cant help , because there is not a specific test for the virus we are infected with. The reason you keep testing negative for hiv is because you dont have hiv. The only thing you can do now is try to heal your damaged immune system. I hope this helps

• Posted

whats weird is all my test are normal. i even went to the immune doctor who did extensive testing and says i have a normal immune system

• Posted

What kind of tests he did to check your immunity ?could you please mention test names

• Posted

i was stated i want to sens them . and are any of you experienxing muscle twitching like all over?

• Posted

hi any updates , I have tested negative for 17 months, but check by cd4 ans is 365 with a ratio

of 0.78 scare as hell

• Posted

try taking 1 oral fluconazole, you might have an active yeast infection in your body! ask your doctor for a blood test and tell him you suspect a yeast infection, systemic Candida is treatable but very dangerous if left untreated.

• Posted

hi any updates please i am 5 years negative post exposure but simptoms

• Posted

hi, what was your exposure and symptoms.

have you tested for 5 years?

you can do what up 3059063860

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.