Hiv symptoms but tested negative ?

Posted , 33 users are following.

So around 3 months ago I had unprotected sex with someone and shortly after developed symptoms similar to herpes. So I went to my doctor and asked for an std test and also an hiv test as I was also having hiv symptoms at the time. Everything came back negative including the hiv test. However I don't know what would be causing my symptoms. My symptoms are :

•weakness

•sore and aching muscles

•sore throat that comes and goes

•yeast infection and bacterial infection

•nausea

•weight gain without a change in diet

•dizziness

•racing heart at times not always

•shortness of breath at times

•swollen lymph node on one side of the neck

However the person that possibly could have infected me claims he regularly gets blood tests done and has been tested for stds. I'm just worried that I maybe tested too early . I tested around 1 month after possible infection. Is it possible to get a negative test when I'm positive if I test only a month after ? im really scared to go do a second test as I don't want to go through all the anxiety that it caused me doing the first test .

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Please help, I don’t know where to turn to next , getting hopeless. So this may be a little long. So almost 2 years ago I started dating a guy, I was in perfect health. After I started dating him, I started having burning when peeing that was the first symptom. Then muscle twitching , then severe Pelvic pain, follow by weak legs for a short time , eye pain, ear pain, loose stool for a short period of time, the since of being unwell. The muscle twitching seem to spread all over my body, my head, my hands, my arms everywhere you can think of. I had a sore throat at one point of time, heart palpations, tingling in feet and numbness in hands when I wake I have to shake it off . I also was having jerks , in my legs while awoke or when I’m on my way to sleep . I also had a few small rashes nothing too crazy

My boyfriend at the time told me his mom died from HIV but he was negative , which I thought he was as well cause we got tested together. Test was indeed negative. However , after I started to put all of this together, there was a common denominator after me getting sick and it was him. I also started to notice he was having muscle twitching just like I and or the same symptoms .

On top of this , I was tested for a year straight after possible exposure, all negative . After a year went to get a hiv test done again, antigen was weakly positive and the antibody was negative so I was asked to retest because of possible false positive.

Went back and had extensive blood work done, I repeated the same test, had a viral load test done and a pcr. All negative . It has been a year exactly since the ‘ false positive ‘ and I have been tested on 4 different occasions after that all negative , in fact all test are negative besides hsv 1

I have seen an infectious disease doctor for the hiv testing before, I have seen a allergy/immune doctor , a neurologist who didn’t do much testing. No one seems to find anything .

I’m concerned that I have a special strain, or something that’s not picking up.

I am in a new relationship, due to all the negative testing I have been having unprotected sex and I fear him ever having anything from me .

• Posted

There are with out a doubt other disease causing retroviruses besides Hiv and htlv. I was infected with my rare virus 1 year ago. I researched beyond the max in hopes of finding some answers. finally I started really taking care of myself. I healed my gut flora which in turn boost your bodies immune system. After my infection I lost 35 pounds had a dry mouth with a white tongue , rashes that would come and go chronic fatigue. I looked like a aids patient. All test negative!!! I thought I was loosing my mind. Now 1 month after diet change and natural antiviral supplements Im feeling much better. There is a glimmer of hope, my symptoms are slowly going away.

• Posted

anthony, im so glad that finally you're healing up and im pretty sure you will be very fit in no time.

tho i didn't have anything like you guys i still have white tongue and im planning to quite smoking and hopefully it will help me to get back

• Posted

Nice to hear that you are healing now .bro what I will tell you my symptoms are going worst day by day .sore throat is still there and white tongue is not healing too,every day I see new rash on my face and in head.today I noticed big water blister close to vulva.It is increasing day by day .I didn't use any antiviral complement except ginger.any suggestion for me pls.

• Posted

Nice to hear that you are healing now .bro what I will tell you my symptoms are going worst day by day .sore throat is still there and white tongue is not healing too,every day I see new rash on my face and in head.today I noticed big water blister close to vulva.It is increasing day by day .I didn't use any antiviral complement except ginger.any suggestions or anti viral food recommendations for me pls

• Posted

i haven't had sex since then I'm just waiting for a right time and gotta clear up mind first! how bout yours?

• Posted

Not yet every time I am searching on internet next month I have planned to do blood work .what about your health?

• Posted

Im getting better but not even close to what I was. My testosterone is very low. I believe the virus is causing this.

• Posted

everyone feels the same after something bad experience weather its because of health issue or something some loses and people get better as the time pass by just give a little more time you will eventually feel the same too. just forget what was happened keep in mind that you are okay and gonna be okay.

• Posted

Hi Brandi,

I would highly suggest that you use condoms or abstain from sex. Also, abstain from all oral sex.

• Posted

If you had unprotected vaginal / anal intercourse with a person of unknown sero-status, you might need to test. Although, having sex is absolutely natural and not every one we come across is HIV positive.

The earliest you can test for conclusive is at 28 days post exposure with a IV Generation HIV test, a test that simultaneously looks for antibodies and P24 Antigen, a viral protein. Alternatively, with a standard antibody test at 6 weeks post exposure.

Hence, if your test was not a IV Gen at month's mark, you can take a test right now anytime to attain conclusive.

Symptoms mean nothing, your 4 weeks negative changing ahead is highly unlikely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.