Hiya all I'm 31 and have just been diagnosed with copd,

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just got diagnosed 2 weeks ago I was a smoker and stopped the day I got my diagnosis I have 3 children and I'm scared I wont be here to watch them grow up, roughly how long do do have left thanks anks

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My heart is with you buddy. It seems highly unlikely to be diagnosed with copd at this age. How long and how much do you used to smoke. How did the doc. Diagnosed it ?
  • Posted

31 is very young for a COPD diagnosisis , can you get a second opinion?

• Posted

I know but I runs in the family and I've been smoking 20 years, they done the respitory breathing test after months months of chest infections and struggling to breath
    • Posted

hi Louise sorry to hear it runs in the family, (sigh) I am sure you ll get great care & other posters are giving you terrific advice.  My 2 cents would be to avoid air polution, sounds silly but I hve noticed those living in bad air quality places get worse faster.  Protect your lungs every way possible.  It may sound odd but I would move if the air was nasty in my living environment that said best of luck girl you are young & determined

I can tell !!!smile

• Posted

Hi there Louise! Do I ever feel your panic....was the same for me when diagnosed a year ago. The best thing you can do for yourself you are doing....stopping smoking. The next best thing is learn about this disease from reliable sources. You can control this beast and live for decades and enjoy your children and grandchildren. Taking your meds properly, exercise, proper nutrition and stress reduction are all a part of it. I stumbled upon Noah Greenspan's webinars in a marvelous Facebook support group called Breathe Easy. They calmed ne down and taught me we are in control !Have you been tested for Alpha 1 ?
  • Posted

Hello Louise. Don't panic. You can live to a good old age . I was diagnosed at 40 and I am now 57 and still not requiring oxygen. My Mam lived 40 years after her diagnosis and lived to 74. If you have not already had indepth testing from the consultant and hospital please request it. I find some GP are too quick to say people have COPD without the patients having proper lung functioning tests
    • Posted

Hi there thanks for the reply I was giving the breathing test can't remember the name of it they said my lungs are of age of 61 some days I struggle to walk to the shop and other days I'm not so bad
  • Posted

Hi how long is a piece of string?   Do you know your lung function? (FEV1).  I would guess you are mild in which case you will have many years left of a healthy life.   A normal lifespan if you look after yourself.   Please don't ask Dr Google as you will go from alive to dead in 3 clicks!  

Because of your young age you need a simple blood test to see if there is a genetic link.  This is called Alpha 1 Deficiency Test.   It is rare but should be done as standard for someone your age.  If you haven't been offered one yet ask your doctor.   Do you have any close family members who have or had COPD?   This might indicate a genetic link.

If you google stick to recognised sites like this one,  the NHS or The British Lung Foundation.  There is also an American Lung Association too.   x

• Posted

Hi there thanks for the reply I was giving the breathing test can't remember the name of the it my lungs were re age of 61,yeah my dad has this and my gran did also but the weren't diagnosed as young as me
    • Posted

Well I was told my lungs were 89 when I was 56!  I am still mild though 6 years on.   Your dad and gran were living in different times when there wasn't so much research or treatment.  It definitely sounds like it runs in your famuily..  You must insist on the blood test.   All this means is that it is still copd but because you are so young it has come on earlier than usual.   You might need more aggressive treatments to fight it. 

I admire your positivity to fight it but do remember that you need to look after yourself,  especially your lungs.   If you get overtired you are more liable to become ill.   It's achieving the correct balance which is important.   You will learn when to fight it but also when it's time to rest.   x

• Posted

No.   But if it is making you too tired and ill then you might have to reconsider.   You have 3 children and that is tiring enough if you don't have to work outside the home.  On the other hand it's great to just be you and not a mother etc.  so it depends entirely on how you feel (and if you need the money of course).

Listen I am not saying treat yourself like an invalid or anything as you need to lead a normal life.  I am only saying be aware of what your body is telling you.   If you do get problems with your lungs ie an exaceration or something don't be brave and try and tough it out - seek treatment.   

There is a big difference between being 'brave' and being foolhardy.   Learn to know the difference.   Ok?  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.