Hiya all I'm 31 and have just been diagnosed with copd,

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just got diagnosed 2 weeks ago I was a smoker and stopped the day I got my diagnosis I have 3 children and I'm scared I wont be here to watch them grow up, roughly how long do do have left thanks anks

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Louise,

You have come to the right strength as the members exeprince and knowledge of COPD will be valuable to you. As long as they have elimanted its not the A1 gene that is the cause of you being diagnosied so young. We are here for you as its an illness where you have bad days as you explain. Are you still having to work?exclaim

• Posted

Hiya I'm going to go back to work this Monday I do not want to give into this illness I want to try and push myself to live a normal life and be here to watch my baby's grow up I'm petrified of leaving them
  • Posted

Hiya all I just want to thank yous all for your kind words and advice, today hasn't been a good day, I took my baby out and was struggling to push the pram, I'm just heartbroken I have made an appointment with the doctor to get further tests as I'm convinced I'm worse than they think or it may be something else I no if I'm suffering from anxiety and refusing to accept I have copd I'm just convinces I'm going to die soon, I no this might sound stupid bit I can't look at my babies without crying think thinking they will be left without a mum to look after them :-(
    • Posted

Hello Louise

I understand your bad day. And you are frightened and worried.

Not being able to breathe well is frightening and worrisome also.

COPD can and certainly is possible at your age, and younger. The primary cause is smoking. The more remote cause is genetic.

You have been disagnosed recently.

Presumably you have been given medications.  I would be intersted to know what they are.

It is extremely important to take them as directed and to take them properly in the case of inhalers/puffers.

You were struggling a lot today. Please know that some of the inhalers do not begin to work to their full potential for several days or even weeks.

It takes time for them to relieve some of the inflammation in the lungs. And it takes time for some to open the airways but relaxing the muscles.

In your efforts to fight the disease you must first get things calmed down....get the medications working and get some rest. Once these are in place, your breathing should improve and allowe you to do more.

You should have been given a "rescue inhaler", often it is blue, and to be used when you are feeling short of breath. I would recommend that you use this inhaler about ten or fifteen minutes before going for your walk. Also, there is a tool which you can use with this inhaler to ensure the majority of the medication gets into the lungs, and also gives you more time to inhale the medication. It is called a 'spacer", it is a plastic device that fits onto the blue inhaler and allows you to inhale the medication at the other end. Please talk to your pharmacist about this. Where I live you do not need a prescription for it, but if you do, ask the pharmacist to call your doctor for a prescription.  Follow the instructions on the inhaler..and use this as I said, in a proactive manner as well as when you find yourself acutely short of breath.

You should also ask for a referral to a COPD program as soon  as you can...you will learn a lot on how to manage the COPD and be able to lern what are steps you can do to help yourself.

Not smoking, breathing cleaner air and taking your medications properly and as instructed as well EXERCISE are the most important things to do!

You will move forward. Many people live long and active lives with COPD.

Know all you can learn.

Lill

• Posted

That is some good advice and its thoughtful that you have giving your time to help her.
    • Posted

Hi I am sorry you are feeling so bad.  I think it is an excellant idea to get the tests done to rule out any other serious conditions.  Once you have had them done and they are hopfully clear you will be able to accept that it is copd and nothing more serious.   I say nothing more serious because although copd is a progressive condition if you are at the mild stage there is a lot you can do to hold it at bay.   Iill has given you some excellant advice.  

If after all the tests you still feel that you are going to die soon then the main problem could be your anxiety.  This by itself can cause breathing problems as you tend to hyperventilate with it.   If so then perhaps some anxiety meds would help you?  Let us know how you get on please.  x

• Posted

Hiya all just a little update, I was really unwell yesterday and had to call an ambulance as I ran out of my inhaler, I then went to the doctors to talk about my diagnosis I was told that I mild copd but he also thinks I have asthma, I was giving 2 inhalers a brown and blue, also the doctor says that when I getting short of breath I panic and am making my self have panic attacks it's scary I really struggle to breath and feel like it's the end, so I'm unsure what to our from here, also I asked for the alpha 1 test and he said in less someone I'm my family has had a positive then there is no need so I'm still confused after being to the doctors, can I just just thank yous all this site really helps it's good to have ppl that understands as I feel I can't talk to m dad cause h feels guilty even though of course it's not his fault
    • Posted

I am sailing in the same boat as you are. the only difference is none of my docs. have ever told me that I have COPD. I have had X-ray and CT scan, both came clear. Its been a year since I had my first episode. I am getting better but at a very slow pace. I would suggest you should get CT scan too. I still dont feel you have COPD. I have smoked for 10 yrs. Around 10 ciggs per day. Docs said it cant damage my lungs to this extent which is backed by my clear CT scan. Some people have persistent asthma due to smoking and it takes time to clear out the infection. How long have you smoked for  and how many ?
    • Posted

Hiya sorry to hear you are struggling, I smoked for 10 years since I was 11,dmiked 20+ per day roughly, why would t doctor diagnose me if it wasn't I'm clearly I'll and the rest showed I had it
    • Posted

20+ is a big number though. Still I would suggest get a second opinion and a CT scan to confirm if its really COPD.
    • Posted

there are many other lung conditions that can cause shortness of breath. How long have you been having these symptoms ? Have you ever experienced chest tightness and chest pain ? I used to feel pain around my chest with chest tightness when it first started. It started when I started running. First few days I was ok. One day I started to have a little pain in my chest and the next day I woke up with it. I would still say ask for CT scan. 
    • Posted

Hi Louise I'm sorry but that's rubbish the doctor has told you.  If respiratory conditions run in your family then there is every chance the Alpha 1 gene is there even if it was never diagnosed.  Many folk with this go undiagnosed which is why the doctor should be doing the test on you.   I would go back and insist on it.  It's just a simple blood test which will take a minute to do.  

Are you in the UK?   If so have a look at NICE guidelines - google it.  I also think you can get it done online too....seen something about it.  I will try and find out for you and put the info on here.  Ok?   x

• Posted

Hello Louise

COPD is diagnosed with Pulmonary Function Testing~ specifically with spirometry. A small device that you blow into. If you have had this done and the results analysed to be COPD then that is what you have.

COPD is comprised of bronchitis as well as emphysema.

There is also, sometimes, an under lying asthma as well ~ in other words you can have both.

CT scans are not used to diagnose COPD. They are ordered if symptoms are such that more serious or more complicated problems could exist. For instance they would be ordered if COPD was diagnosed but the symptoms are not responding to medication or are becoming worse despite medications..then the physician may want to look more closely at the structures.

I think the new medications need a few days or so to start working well. Some medications make a difference immediately and others take some time to get up to their full effects.

I think though also, that it sounds to me as though your doctor, if I could be so forward, was too swift to blame your shortness of breath on your anxiety. Certainly anxiety does conttribute to that, but you also related you had run out of your inhaler. That would likely cause an exacerbation of the shortness of breath and once you had that, it is more than understandable that you would become increasingly anxious and panicked. 

Now that you have your inhalers, and ensuring that you know HOW to use them as well as when to use them, you may well discover your breathing becomes under better control.

I hope you will keep us updated!

Lill 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.