Hiya all I'm 31 and have just been diagnosed with copd,

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just got diagnosed 2 weeks ago I was a smoker and stopped the day I got my diagnosis I have 3 children and I'm scared I wont be here to watch them grow up, roughly how long do do have left thanks anks

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi google NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) and the guide is as follows.  If under 35 the following test should be done. 

Alpha-1 antitrypsin test

If early onset, minimal smoking history or family history

I would go back and remind your doctor of this.  If s/he refuses again see someone else.  x

• Posted

Thank very much for this I will defo go back and ask to see another doctor also I asked for scans as I have a lot if pain in my ribs and front Chest also but the doctor said there was no need for further tests and he would review me after 3 months I also asked if I could get another respitory test done in a few months of me stopped smoking and he said I had to wait and get one every four years rolleyes x
    • Posted

You are very welcome Louise.  Have a gander for yourself on the NICE guidelines as there is some very interesting stuff on there..... Let us know how you get on.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.