Holiday Oxygen Abroad for COPD sufferers

Posted , 7 users are following.

For those who are unaware you can now travel anywhere in Europe and receive your oxygen requirements against your EHIC card. Also many more airlines are now providing on board oxygen for passenger use (some charge) and both Monarch & EasyJet will allow you take 2 cylinders with you for use on board during the flight. Obviously you need to arrange this prior to your flight and will need a letter from your GP stating you are fit to fly and also the flow rates required. To arrange oxygen in the country of stay you need to check out on the internet where to apply and how to fax the information required. Takes a bit of time and effort but worth it if you fancy a holiday abroad.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Where can I get oxygen in Portugal to keep in my holiday apartment and how much does it cost and thank you for that info so far Ruth x

• Posted

You need to start by phoning the Overseas health team on 0191 2181999 or Dept of health customer service on 02072104850. It should be free of charge against your EICC card to have oxygen in the apartment you may also be able to get portable oxygen for walking out if needed although this is limited to approx 4 hours a day 
    • Posted

Thans so much for that info Ruth Yvonne and for the phone numbers been lookin for ages  so grateful,  you are a star xx
  • Posted

Thank you so much for those phone numbers and the info Ruth Yvonne you are a star xxx
    • Posted

You will find that as part of the process you have to fax all the information asked for to a number in the country your going to which will normally be a copy of your passport the EICC card and a letter from your doctor. Along with the full address you will be staying at the hotel's phone number and dates of holiday. Best of luck. I also find it quite a lot of work and a bit stressful but it has to be done if you want to holiday abroad. 
  • Posted

Thanks again Ruth Yvonne  I know the first time I do all this it will be lots of work  It will be worth it as Colin can breathe better in Portugal.  We know someone who didn't need her inhalers after moving there.  Once we get this set up I am hoping to stay for the coldest part of our winter as Colin can't go out here without being ill.  Thanks again I'll let you know how I get on xx
    • Posted

I wish you and your other half a really pleasant and easy time arranging it all and hope you find it all worth it. Would love to hear how you get on. x
  • Posted

I will let you know Ruth Yvonne,  Colin is scared and is finally realising he can still go to Portugal with help.   Love  Anne x
    • Posted

I am always the same, having booked it I then start fretting as to whether it will be there or not and I have had a couple of times when I have needed to phone them and hotel staff are very good at helping out with that task it has always worked out well for me so i wish you all the best and tell Colin to relax so he can enjoy his holiday. Love to you both x
  • Posted

Hi. Although I don't need oxygen full time, I do need it occasionally so when travelling by car in the UK, I always take a small cylinder with me. My problem now is that for our holiday this year, we are going to tour France, Belgium & Germany by car ... so apart from going to & from the same port of entry (Dunkirk), our hotels will be all over the place rather than one fixed place. Any guidance much appreciated please !
    • Posted

I would contact your oxygen supplier and see what they suggest you do. Could you not take enough cylinders for your needs or is that not allowed? Failing that phone The Overseas Health Team for their advice on 0191-2181999 the Dept of Health customer services 0n 02072104850
  • Posted

My supplier says that I must not take my cylinders out of the UK and offered no advice. NHS confirms that UK prescribed cylinders must not be taken out of the country.

An alternative would be a portable concentrator but these are very expensive to hire and the insurance cover excludes leaving it in an unattended car, so it would have to be lugged into every hotel. My wife is understandably not keen on this any more after the last holiday when the strap gave way and the unit crushed her foot.

• Posted

Nothing is ever easy is it? I really don't know what else to suggest for you.

I take two of my cylinders on flights with me and nothing is ever said but then I am not letting them out of my sight so not likely to go astray.

Hope you find a solution

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.