Holy Basil Leaf

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone take this?

Has it helped?

How much and when do you take it?

(I had a mad ordering spree after reading loads of stuff last week and I can't remember half of the reasons why!)

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jane

thats the one not to take for long periods of time .. Need a break every now and then

the bottle will tell you how and when to take it on the label depending in the make and strength 

i dont take it 

jay xx

• Posted

thank you both. mine is Swanson too. It says take 2 twice a day but after internet search it seems that is very subjective. If it will help me sleep I will try as you suggest rcharris.

Thanks for the warning re not taking long term Jay.

I am having awful nights I think now, due to the hot flushes but they seem to happen after I've woken rather than waking me. I am having up to 8 a night so constantly exhausted. I also have a permanent headache and pain in my hands, arms, lower legs and feet so I am trying everything!

• Posted

I get flushes too. I use thin bedding but with warmer stuff near by when cool down. i found mixed feedback on the long term use basil so it may be ok. just with try guess hope works or helps for you. I'm still looking at other herbs to use in combo as well to deepen sleep. Have to do lots research so they don't interact x 
    • Posted

jane

i had my hot flushes return post meno, i also got them in early peri..

for them i took Rain forest Maca 5.1 

that was fab for peri early on.. I still take it now ..

when i have a break from it i can tell as its very good and i return to it .

now i get no flushes since i have been taking Vit E capsules orally for a while.. I get none..

Vit E is a great help for flushes ... 

Also Solgar Chelated magnesium .. I take that too

Menapol plus i take 2 x daily aswell 

Vit B 100mg is also a must 

i take all the supplements which I know help ..

if you trial any you have to trial them for over 3 months ... A week here and there isnt long enough for any trial of different supplements.

some ladies will say they tried this that and the other but dont give them time to work .. 

jay xx

• Posted

So it's magnesium spray and pills too?
    • Posted

JJ recommended both but i just use spray and take multi complex with mag in too. So i guess i use both but think through spray the big diff. Works well with holy basil x 
    • Posted

robin you may find this helpful..

chaleted magnesium = ( Bisglycinate ) magnesium 

useful magnesium  info .... 

i take Solgar Chelated ( Bisglycinate) Magnesium

Magnesium bisglycinate is an essential mineral needed for more than 300 enzymatic reactions in the body.

This mineral is required for the formation of healthy bones and teeth, protein and fatty acid formation, activating B vitamins, supporting muscle activity, nerve transmission, relaxing blood vessels, clotting blood, temperature regulation and ensuring intestinal mobility also called bowel movements. 

Magnesium bisglycinate is magnesium bound to the amino acid glycine. This binding makes the magnesium highly absorbable.

For example you would have to take 4 times the amount of magnesium citrate to get the equivalent amount of magnesium bisglycinate.

The bisglycinate form of magnesium does not require stomach acid for absorption as it passes into the cell via its amino acid transport which means even those with poor digestion or absorption get the benefits.

Magnesium bisglycinate is the only magnesium shown to cross the blood brain barrier which makes it an excellent choice for aiding those with depression and/or anxiety, or migraine headaches. 

Stress of all types including chemical, emotional, hormonal or physical stress depletes magnesium from the body.

Since magnesium relaxes muscles and nerves, more magnesium is needed when you are under stress.

magnesium Chelate is calming and a tablet before bed can aid reatful sleep.

When we are under stress our adrenal glands produce cortisol which further increases acidity in the body thereby increasing the need for even more magnesium. 

Because magnesium is required in the metabolism of estrogen in the body, low levels of magnesium increases estrogen leading to estrogen dominance.

Symptoms of too much estrogen include premenstrual breast and uterine pain, headaches, backaches, premenstrual depression and mood swings.

Women on the birth control pill or hormone replacement therapy also become deficient in magnesium as the drugs deplete magnesium.

Anyone with an estrogen dominant condition like endometriosis, PMS, fibroids, ovarian cysts, period problems or breast cysts need magnesium bisglycinate.

Interestingly, many women crave chocolate during their premenstrual and menstrual period. Chocolate is high in magnesium! 

Magnesium deficiency is common due to our consumption of processed foods and the depletion of magnesium from agricultural soils and water.

Magnesium supplementation can help with many conditions from high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat or heart palpitations, to insomnia, anxiety and depression to fibromyalgia, osteoporosis and leg cramps at night or following exercise.

Always make sure when you are purchasing minerals that the label states whether or not the dosage is in its elemental value. This tells you if you are getting exactly what you are paying for. 

Which Magnesium Is Best?

Magnesium oxide and citrates are *laxatives causing diarrhea and they are poorly absorbed. Avoid..

Magnesium bisglycinate is much better absorbed and it does * not cause diarrhea.

Magnesium bisglycinate is four times more effective than citrate forms of magnesium 

• Posted

vit E capsules 

Vitamin E

This is an important vitamin to consider at the menopause.

Over many years clinical studies have shown its effect on reducing hot flushes.

Vitamin E is also helpful for vaginal dryness and one study showed that just 400iu taken daily for between 1 and 4 months helped 50 percent of the women given supplemental vitamin E.

Although most women fear breast cancer, our biggest killer is heart disease. There is now such a wealth of information on the beneficial effects of nutrition on heart disease and unfortunately HRT has been shown to increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

A study published in the Lancet showed that 2000 patients with arteriosclerosis (fatty deposits in the arteries) had a 75 percent reduction in their risk of heart attack when given vitamin E.

At the time, researchers claimed that vitamin E was even more effective than aspirin in reducing heart attacks.  

• Posted

I just took my first pill form this afternoon and medications scare me. I read about it as well on sites and saw so many helpful things it does. I am just not sure how much is too much or too little. I did well today on it. Gave me no worries but I have herd it can warm your body. I didn't get that. If anything I got more cold. which I rather have anyways. ^.^ I had menopause. 

I just want to know what to look for as a bad effect. I herd 2 so far.

1* bad burps when taken alone(which I am okay with)

2* Lowers blood sugars. (I sometimes show Hypoglycemia because I never watch when I eat. I just would hate to end up in the ER from low blood sugar all because I took an herb to help with Anxities and depression and menopause symptom. rolleyes)

So far after taking it and it is now Texas time 6:52pm I herd you should take 800mg and i took only 400 mg. They said also it might wear off after 6 hours. well I am now past that timing. I just wonder what is the best time and what are the best amounts. Also I use mag oil but have chelated mag which sometimes hurts my tummy. Ulcers seem to love living in my tummy, I had taken the chalated magnesium since 2013. Before that it was the other round pills which they say are bad on the tummy. Is why I am using the oil now. But every time I use the oil my left arm aches. Just in the upper o on another time just the lower part of the arm. But last two days I have had a ache in my lower rib and upper tummy on my right side. 

Sorry I tend to ramble. ^.^ Well anyways just wanted to put my foot in the door so I might get an answer as well. Also to rcharris8 I also am an early menopause. I started in mine like my mother that was 35 at the time. I started threw mine at 35 as well. My sister had a partial Hysterectomy so she went threw it even sooner because of the surgery. I was told by my RP that I am now done. But other females tell me that you are never done. That we will deal with menopause symptoms our whole lives. sad 

NOT FAIR! lol

anyways how long should a person be able to take Holy Basil for? It says not more than 6 monthes or weeks not sure might need to look that up again. But that worries me. could you enlighten me? Thanks to all that respond.   

• Posted

Hi love I took mine for about 6 weeks before it stopped working. However after a break I started to take it again and it was helping. It's never given me any real problems so I can't answer all of your questions but I must say I didn't notice any warnings about side effects with it as it tends to be pretty good. Sounds like you're being on a very conservative dose which is good. I take 800 milligrams a day when I use it. I found a combination of therapies with the best for me. One of the best things that help to me is the menogest cream which I still use everyday. Hope this is helpful and that you are doing ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.