Home flow test

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone know how you can calculate your flow rate using a measuring jug ? i had one in hospital a couple of months back at a time of day when the pressure felt really good .Apparently my reading was 7., earlier in the day it would have significantly lower than that . I have recently been self cathing at least once a day and have noticed a much improved natural void . Im confused by this .

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello:

You can get a pretty good approximation of the maximum flow rate from a device sold on Amazon. The device is called "Uflow Meter" and sells for about $11. It will let you know if the maximum flowrate is less than 10 mL/sec, between 10 and 15 mL/sec, or greater than 15 mL/sec. Note that this is the maximum urine flow rate and not just an average.

• Posted

I have a graduated beaker I pee in while timing on a second hand clock. I time from the time flow starts to the last dribble. I assume this gives an average flow rate which seems to me would be a better indicator. Not sure how this differ from the device mentioned by rdemyan.

• Posted

thanks but excuse my ignorance how exactly do you work out the flow rate ? for example if you pee 500 ml in 1.5 minutes how do you do the maths ?

• Posted

In your case. You divide the volume (500 ml) by the number of seconds it takes to go (90) = 5.5ml/sec

I pee 300 ml in 15 seconds. = 20ml/sec

This number is the average flow rate.

When reach 400 ml in my bladder flow rate drops.

• Posted

Any time. Glad I can help. Maybe some one will chime in on the error of my ways

• Posted

Hi unclefester:

The flow tests in the uro's office usually quote maximum flowrate. The average flowrate can be affected by a number of things. For example waiting till the last dribble might add one second for a teenager, but 20 seconds for us old guys. If you're getting an average flowrate of 20 mL/sec, that leads me to believe that you have had a BPH procedure. Your max flowrate is probably around 30 mL/sec or so, which is great.

• Posted

Hi rdemyan

No I have not had a BPH procedure. I had severe bleeding in Nov. 2015. Prior to that I had slower rate from memory I would say 15ml/sec. I figured I would eventually end up on Flowmax but didn't give it much thought. I had all the usual tests to rule out cancer. Of the course uro I had said I should have TURP. Almost went through with is but found this forum and realized I was about to be butchered. Anyway I'm very blessed with a good flow rate I hope it stays that way until they have an injectable cure for BPH ( I know I'm optimistic ) . I've been on finasteride for 3 years which I'm sure has helped. Dr. never figured out what caused the bleeding. I was taking Krill oil at the time. So my theory is the Krill oil caused it by thinning my blood too much. I start pretty fast usually with a second or 2 of trying and only dribble for a second or 2.

The only thing that concerns me a bit is my bladder capacity is 400ml. and at that point I'm ready to pee my pants.

• Posted

Your bladder capacity and flow rate are normal. Finasteride must be doing its job. Is there a reason the Uro wanted to do a TURP?

• Posted

Hi unclefester:

Agree pretty much with what Timothy said below. Be sure to check your max flowrate with the UFlow device. Please report back when you do. Most men on this board would kill for an average flow rate of 20 mL/sec let alone a likely max flowrate of around 30 mL/sec. You want to make sure you have these numbers correct.

Have you had your PVR (post void residual) measured by a bladder scanner or by catheter?

• Posted

Yes I know I'm very lucky. I do my beaker test a couple of times a week. I put one of those flow meter things in my amazon shopping cart. So I'll post what my peak flow number is.

Timothy, The uro wanted to do TURP to make some $. I bled heavily for 10 days. It started again in 3 months. It slowly tapered off over the course of a year. Each time I bled there was less blood and the duration was shorter. I can't describe fear that engulfed me in Nov. 2015 when I had me first episode. We're not talking pink or red urine. I was literally peeing blood, massive clots, and what looked like sheets of skin. Sounds unbelievable I know. Thank God it stopped and I didn't have cancer.

Personally I believe I had prostatitis. DRE was extremely painful and I had multiple prostatitis symptoms. There no money to be made handing out antibiotics for prostatitis so lets talk this guy into surgery.

• Posted

Last time my PVR was checked it was very little. I don't remember the figure but PA said it was very good. That was 2 years ago though. Next week I go to the uro I'm going to request PVR test. Went I'm done peeing I feel empty. I don't know if that would reflect on PVR or not.

• Posted

Based on my CT scan when my bleeding started ~125 grams according to Dr. K . I think finasteride has helped but I have no idea how big my prostate is presently

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.