Home flow test

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone know how you can calculate your flow rate using a measuring jug ? i had one in hospital a couple of months back at a time of day when the pressure felt really good .Apparently my reading was 7., earlier in the day it would have significantly lower than that . I have recently been self cathing at least once a day and have noticed a much improved natural void . Im confused by this .

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As has been suggested by others here just pee into a measuring beaker and count the seconds. You don't need a watch - just do it in your head. Easy to calculate ml/sec. "Normal" for males is about 20ml/sec. Mine is about 3ml/sec, and 2 at night. You should also measure the amount of urine over a 24hr period both day and night. I average about 75ml/hour at night and 45ml/hour during the day. My PVR was last measured at 170ml, so at night that's about 2 hours+ still in by bladder. No wonder I have to get up 5-6 times at night.

After you do this for a couple of days it will all make sense. Also, it isn't always the prostate that is causing issues with urine flow, it can be the bladder outlet being obstructed - you don't have that issue. So, these ideas are also for others who are reading this.

Tom

• Posted

Thanks Tom for your helpful reply .

you say that " i dont have that problem " re bladder outlet obstruction but i was diagnosed with

" "severe bladder blockage" after a urodynamics study back in March . My natural void seems so much better since i have self cathing as if the cathetar has been opening me up . Very strange.

• Posted

dcooperxyz;

I'm pretty sure that bladder outlet obstruction can be caused by BPH. Maybe others want to chime in, but that's what I've always been led to believe.

• Posted

i think thats correct but can also be caused by other issues . Prostate issues get all the attention but the prostate is not always to blame . Input welcome in this .

Darren

• Posted

Oh, yes. BOO can be caused by BPH, but there may be other reasons. That's why performing tests prior to a procedure is important. Is it really the prostate that is causing the majority of the problem or are there other issues (weak bladder, urethral stricture, etc.)?

• Posted

Just did some searching on the net about average bladder size in males. 16 oz seems to be a common number but also found 16-24oz in a few places. 16 oz = 473ml. Another report said that the "urge" to pee occurs when the bladder is about 1/4 full, so that would be 4oz or only 113ml. This means that measuring the PVR is very, very important, because if it's anything like mine (170ml), then the "urge" comes on very quickly and often, especially at night. Another report said that the average time for mammals to empty their bladder is 21 seconds. It certainly takes me a lot longer than that. So, before bed I try to empty my bladder several times to try to "buy" some sleep time before the "urge" comes on and wakes me up. So, it seems to me that the goal is to get that bladder empty by whatever works - be it reduction in prostate size or clearing bladder obstructions is that is the problem. Some use CIC before bed. I have also taken Trospium (Sanctura) and that seems to help slightly, but not much.

• Posted

Tom:

The numbers that I have seen regarding when the "urge" typically comes to urinate is around 250 mL in the bladder. This is not an urgent, clear the way, urge but one that IIRC needs to be satisfied within about 30 minutes (this would also be for someone who has not had some bladder damage due to BPH, for example). Of course everybody is different, but I think 113 mL is way too low.

• Posted

Agree - 113 is much too low. I also agree that this figure should be about double, as you suggest. I find I can go about 1 1/2 hours at night, sometimes 2 hours, before I have to get up and go to the bathroom. Assuming I am producing about 75ml per hour sleeping, that would be about 113 ml, however, add that on top of the PVR and it would support the higher figure. Bottom line here is that the easier one can get an empty bladder the longer it is between bathroom runs. This can make a huge difference in lifestyle (quality of life issue) - not just sleeping, but going out to a 2 hour movie, or social gatherings, or a sporting event. Anything that can get that bladder empty is a good thing.

• Posted

Tom:

I measure all of my voids, even at night. I'm still experimenting but am having some success wearing compression socks during the daytime. I do not look like I have water retention in my legs; I weigh less than 190 lbs and am 6 feet tall. However, the compression socks have resulted in less urine being produced at night while I sleep (typically 33 to 40% less) This hasn't necessarily reduced the number of times I get up (2 to 3), but you might give it a try to see if it works for you.

Good luck.

• Posted

I bought one of the Uflow Meters on amazon. Results were similar to what I get using a graduated beaker and second hand on watch. The Uflow Meter only has 3 rates. <15ml/sec, 15ml/sec, >15ml/sec. I measured in the 15ml/sec. I was half way up the funnel, If I had some extra pee in me I might have actually overflowed the meter. Much like many of you my flow rates can vary quite a bit. Waking during the night my flow can be very low. Maybe on the edge of AUR

• Posted

Hi Unclefester:

For the benefit of others who might be interested in the device, I want to make some corrections to your post. The Uflow Meter provides estimates of maximum flow rate in three ranges (via chambers): < 10 mL/sec, 10 to 15 mL/sec and > 15 mL/sec. It sounds like your max flowrate was in the top chamber almost reaching the top reservoir (so > 15 mL/sec).

My understanding of the device is that 15 mL/sec is the "magic" number. They designed it under the assumption that if the maximum flow rate is 15 mL/sec or above then a man is having good flow.

However, as you say, at night time when the bladder gets fuller, flowrate goes down quite a bit. I know it's difficult, but you might want to use the device during one of your night time trips to get a better idea of just how low or suprisingly high your max flowrate is. Turning on the light is an issue, but if it's important enough......

Lastly, I am having some good success with wearing compression socks during the daytime. I may have a post on this in the near future. I do not look like someone who has water retention in my legs; my uro didn't think compression socks would help. Yet the preliminary results show that when I wear the socks during the daytime, I urinate about 30 to 50% less total volume over a 7 to 8 hour sleeping period. I am still getting up 2 to 3 times a night (a few days ago it was only one), but I am urinating less volume with each go. The total amount of urine voided during the day is typically within 10%. So the compression socks appear to be "cajoling" the kidneys to produce more urine during the daytime and less at night (which if you read the literature is an expected result).

Take care.

• Posted

Thanks for the clarification rdemyan. I will give it a shot in the next night or 2. Night time peeing is all over the place for me. Last night it was very low I would guess <5ml/sec. I'd love to figure out what causes this. I asked my uro once but didn't get an answer. The only thing that know if that causes problems is spicy foods at supper time so I avoid it. . Lunch doesn't seem to effect it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.