Home Remedy for Bartholin Cyst that WORKS!

Posted , 108 users are following.

I'm 24 and starting getting bartholin cysts just over a year ago. It has recurred at least 6 or 7 times, and I have had an Incision and Drainage performed twice, one under local anesthetic and once under general. I can't stress enough, GET THE GENERAL! The needle with the anesthetic was BEYOND painful, and I'm not ashamed to admit I screamed bloody murder when they cut the thing open! Hands down, the most painful experience of my life. With the general, I experienced zero pain and no memory of the procedure.

Yesterday, to my horror I felt the familiar hardened bump start to rise. Today at work, where I sit at a desk all day, the pain went from tolerably uncomfortable to unbearable. After being driven to the ER and speaking with a doctor, I decided to forgo the surgery, or at least postpone it, and give home remedies one last try. In my searches through forums and websites, I saw the same remedy mentioned a few times: Phoebe's Cure. I decided I had nothing to lose, drove to the pharmacy, and picked up the necessary ingredients: a bottle of calamine lotion, a bottle of witch hazel, a bottle of tea tree oil, and a roll of gauze. At this point, it was about 5:00 in the afternoon. I drove home, drew myself a hot bath and added Epson salts, and sat for about 20 minutes. When I got out, I soaked the gauze in a mixture of 6 oz of calamine lotion, 2 teaspoons of witch hazel, and 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil. The recipe actually only asks for 1 teaspoon of the latter two ingredients, but at that point I was almost hysterical with pain so I figured, go big or go home. I soaked the gauze in the mixture, then covered the cyst (likely an abscess at this point) with the gauze, held in place with my underwear. I left this for about 40 minutes, swapped for a hot compress for about 10 minutes, then applied another soaked gauze for about 30 minutes. At this point, I couldn't even help crying from the pain. I took a painkiller, and drew myself another hot bath, this time using table salt instead of Epson salts. I stayed in again for about 20 minutes, then restarted the cycle of changing the soaked gauze every 30 minutes or so. I could feel the cyst growing in size and getting even harder, and I noticed the mixture in the gauze was causing some stinging. At around 9:00, about 3 and a half hours after I drew the first bath, (WARNING, this is gross! Please do not read past this point if you are squeamish!) I was lying on the couch and suddenly felt liquid drip down. I put some mild pressure on the gauze, then went to the bathroom to see what was going on. Full disclosure, I'm also on my period right now, making it extremely difficult for me to tell exactly what was going on. I pulled the gauze away and sure enough there was a large spot of pus about as big as a Canadian Twoonie. I wanted to cry in relief, but didn't let myself believe I was out of the woods yet. I swapped for a new gauze again, left it, checked again, and sure enough, more pus. I put pressure on the spot where it seemed to be originating from with the gauze, and when I pulled it away, more pus. I cried with absolute relief.

I have never, ever found a home remedy that was even remotely effective for this ailment or any other. I am BLOWN AWAY at how effective this was! Let me preface this by saying I'm not a medical professional by any means, but I believe this worked by bringing the pus to the surface of the abscess until it finally burst. The originating spot of the pus was the spot that had become the hardest and probably the most painful point on the abscess over the three and a half hours of changing gauzes.

If you experience painful bartholin cysts or abscesses, PLEASE give this a try! Absolutely worth it!

10 likes, 190 replies

190 Replies

Next
  • Edited

UPDATE: I just woke up after having left the gauze with calamine lotion, tea tree oil, and witch hazel on all night, having switched it whenever I woke up every few hours. I noticed it was stinging intensely all night. When I woke up this morning, I went to the bathroom and felt a small pop when I wiped. I looked down and see pus just pouring out of a small hole, where it had burst the night before. This cure made a hole that I can drain the pus through, I can't even describe the relief right now! I have never been so impressed with a home remedy!

• Posted

I am so pleased you are out of the woods so to speak.

Mine started yesterday. I have been using the turmeric and oil pack. This morning a little pus came out in the bath. I squeezed a bit but couldn't get any more out. I the tried the salt pack but it's so sore In there I had to remove it.

I have just done another turmeric pack. It's very inflamed and very sore.

• Edited

I too tried Phoebes cure today, left it on for 45mins, hotbath, another cotton bud soaked in the cure for 45 mins and a little hole appeared never been so glad to see blood! Whoever Phoebe is, thank you! And thank you brave women for discussing it so openly, it's not an easy topic!

• Posted

After 36 hours of bathing, and switching to the mixture of phoebes cure I woke at 3am to such pain, I waddled to the bathroom  as you do, my body tired and broken. I sat on the loo, and when I did a pee, and did all I could muster for a wipe, I saw pus.. that cyst was going to be empty by the time I was finished with it. I delicately, and I mean delicately!! Used the tissue to squeeze the cyst empty. Once it started to empty, a mixture of pus and blood, the relief really was instant! I cried with relief!! A few hours later, I managed to sleep a bit and now it feels like a distant memory! It did mess up our ivf cycle which was the most upsetting thing about it. But we can try again I know. 

Stick with this treatment ladies, it will work for you. It just has to get worse before it gets better x 

• Posted

Hi Jody

Curious if you’ve had a BC that wasn’t abscessed or infected. I detected mine early last time and warded off infection for a few days. After two days of applying tea tree oil and taking aloe Vera pills along with regular sitz baths, mine just reabsorbed. Has that ever happened to you?

Felt one again about 2 days ago after evading it for 15months. Caught this one early too and am doing regular sitz baths but the simple tea tree/aloe combination hasn’t worked its magic yet so I have started Vitamin C supplements, probiotics, a silica spray along with heating pad over long hours. 

It’s not worse but it’s not much better.

Do you recommend Phoebe’s cure for an uninfected cyst? I would really rather that it reabsorbed like last time and did not come to popping.

• Edited

I'm 45 and have had the cyst for 7 years, never infected, never abscessed, never painful. I have never had pain so far, but it's pretty big and ugly. I'd like to try something to let it reabsorb but I'm too scared to let it burst because it's never been painful. I found Makala O' Siggins youtube channel, where she shares some more remedies to let it burst when painful. I still haven't heard cases like mine, where the cyst is painless for so many years and if it possible to let it reabsorb. Ant advice is welcome.

• Edited

i have had one for four years now and mine is also not painful. it can get a little uncomfortable during sex but thats it. you are the first person i have come across with symptoms similar to mine.

• Edited

Thanks for sharing Jessica. I tried to take Serrapeptase for a month, the cyst has decreased in size.

• Posted

did you take 120 PSU or 40 PSU? three times a day or just one in the morning?

• Posted

Hi Meg! I'm 31 and i hv had mine for the past 5years. it has been painless but inching on a sunny day.

• Posted

Same here! But still not sure if this is completely normal or should be checked by a doctor? Have you been to see one and asked?

• Posted

I'm also interested..have had one for about 2 years, not painful most of the time, just a bit annoying when riding a bike and such. Which brand of Serrapeptase did you take and which PSU? Thanks for sharing 😃

• Posted

my doctor has been monitoring it the whole time, she doesnt recommend removing it unless its causing pain. i even had a baby vaginally 5 months ago and the thing never popped!i would recommend maybe speaking to your doctor so it can be checked out.

• Posted

Hello Jessica,

i have noticed a lump on my genitals for a week now, it's not painful nor uncomfortable and it does not affect my daily activities. My doctor recommended me to take antibiotics first to see if it's just a regular swelling, but it's been more than 3 days now and nothing happen. How long does it usually take for it to go away if i do natural home remedies? I don't really want to go under the knife for it. I have only done sitz bath at home.

• Posted

Since you're not having any pain or discomfort I don't think you need to worry about anything right away. I'd recommend finishing your antibiotics as directed by your doctor and follow up. There are people that report asymptomatic lumps that remain for years. The real challenges start when the cyst begins to abscess. Unless that happens keep the area clean, monitor it for any changes, and continue seeing your doctor. I'm really glad you aren't having any pain.

• Edited

I am also curious. My first experience with a BC resulted in an abscess. it was treated, but it did eventually come back. I had it for years without any pain or discomfort. my gynecologist drained it during one of my regular check ups and again it came back (no pain or discomfort). it's been almost 3 years since it was last drained. most days I dont even notice it, but other times I can feel some pressure. the size of it seems to vary over time. some days it's super small and other days it's much larger. the thing is driving me insane because it really messes up my personal life. I've tried turmeric but there weren't any notable changes. I'm going to give this Phoebe's cure a try and hope that it helps. I'm willing to try anything at this point.

• Posted

Wow, that must be really annoying.

Does it get bigger during intercourse?

What are your observations?

• Posted

Mine gets bigger during an aroused state and after orgasm. If you think about it, the gland that produces vaginal lubrication is what's blocked. so whenever you produce that fluid it's going to cause the cyst to grow in size. sex is uncomfortable and sometimes painful.

I tried Phoebe's cure over the weekend but it didnt seem to work for me. maybe because it isnt abscessed? or maybe I didnt do it for long enough? 20 min soak, 40 min with the soaked gauze. repeated 3 times.

• Posted

I'm 21 and have had one for 2 years, I've found taking mucinex can help reduce the size but nothing has caused it to reabsorb, even taking serrapeptase for a month

• Posted

hi! im curious as to did you ever get the uninfected BC to pop? if so, how?

• Posted

ive had one for several years, and its not painful. My doc says to just leave it. She says i can get it drained, but it will likely come back, and draining could be painful or even cause infection. if its not painful, she says im better of leaving it. however, mine is also getting very large and somewhat bothersome because of that. i may try a heating pad on it. hot compresses have not done anything for me.

• Posted

I'm 40 and have had one for years. One on the left side became inflamed and went away on its own, that was maybe 20 years ago. Had an abscess on the left side about 9 years ago. Had to go to the ER to have it lanced. It went away briefly, but this mass returned. It doesn't hurt normally, just grows in size during sex. it's so embarrassing... I'm going to try the serrapeptase again. I tried before but wasn't consistent, but I'm going to try it again.

• Posted

omg i too have research and googled trying to find someone with a similar situation regarding a BC. i got mine probably around 9 years ago abd ut has never went away!!! sonetimes extremely large (size if a large strawberry) or sometimes smaller. it is so embarrassing as to one side bring lopsided and nit at all like the other. never had any pain whatsoever, however, i can tell when it is larger than normal. i have tried everything abd this dang thing isnt budging!!!!! help im not getting surgery!

• Posted

hello, i also have a painless bartholin cyst since three months now. Please let me know how you made yours go away

i'm so desparate at this point

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.