Home Remedy for Bartholin Cyst that WORKS!

Posted , 108 users are following.

I'm 24 and starting getting bartholin cysts just over a year ago. It has recurred at least 6 or 7 times, and I have had an Incision and Drainage performed twice, one under local anesthetic and once under general. I can't stress enough, GET THE GENERAL! The needle with the anesthetic was BEYOND painful, and I'm not ashamed to admit I screamed bloody murder when they cut the thing open! Hands down, the most painful experience of my life. With the general, I experienced zero pain and no memory of the procedure.

Yesterday, to my horror I felt the familiar hardened bump start to rise. Today at work, where I sit at a desk all day, the pain went from tolerably uncomfortable to unbearable. After being driven to the ER and speaking with a doctor, I decided to forgo the surgery, or at least postpone it, and give home remedies one last try. In my searches through forums and websites, I saw the same remedy mentioned a few times: Phoebe's Cure. I decided I had nothing to lose, drove to the pharmacy, and picked up the necessary ingredients: a bottle of calamine lotion, a bottle of witch hazel, a bottle of tea tree oil, and a roll of gauze. At this point, it was about 5:00 in the afternoon. I drove home, drew myself a hot bath and added Epson salts, and sat for about 20 minutes. When I got out, I soaked the gauze in a mixture of 6 oz of calamine lotion, 2 teaspoons of witch hazel, and 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil. The recipe actually only asks for 1 teaspoon of the latter two ingredients, but at that point I was almost hysterical with pain so I figured, go big or go home. I soaked the gauze in the mixture, then covered the cyst (likely an abscess at this point) with the gauze, held in place with my underwear. I left this for about 40 minutes, swapped for a hot compress for about 10 minutes, then applied another soaked gauze for about 30 minutes. At this point, I couldn't even help crying from the pain. I took a painkiller, and drew myself another hot bath, this time using table salt instead of Epson salts. I stayed in again for about 20 minutes, then restarted the cycle of changing the soaked gauze every 30 minutes or so. I could feel the cyst growing in size and getting even harder, and I noticed the mixture in the gauze was causing some stinging. At around 9:00, about 3 and a half hours after I drew the first bath, (WARNING, this is gross! Please do not read past this point if you are squeamish!) I was lying on the couch and suddenly felt liquid drip down. I put some mild pressure on the gauze, then went to the bathroom to see what was going on. Full disclosure, I'm also on my period right now, making it extremely difficult for me to tell exactly what was going on. I pulled the gauze away and sure enough there was a large spot of pus about as big as a Canadian Twoonie. I wanted to cry in relief, but didn't let myself believe I was out of the woods yet. I swapped for a new gauze again, left it, checked again, and sure enough, more pus. I put pressure on the spot where it seemed to be originating from with the gauze, and when I pulled it away, more pus. I cried with absolute relief.

I have never, ever found a home remedy that was even remotely effective for this ailment or any other. I am BLOWN AWAY at how effective this was! Let me preface this by saying I'm not a medical professional by any means, but I believe this worked by bringing the pus to the surface of the abscess until it finally burst. The originating spot of the pus was the spot that had become the hardest and probably the most painful point on the abscess over the three and a half hours of changing gauzes.

If you experience painful bartholin cysts or abscesses, PLEASE give this a try! Absolutely worth it!

10 likes, 190 replies

190 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Has anyone tried this while on antibiotics? I’m on day 8 and I can’t move. This is the worst pain I have ever experienced. I honestly don’t think I can take any more burning and stinging. I have been on antibiotics since Sunday afternoon, do you think it will help this process go quicker?
    • Posted

Yep, I was on anti biotics too, keep on at it, I promise it will work. Mine took over 30 hours but i promise the relief was instant! I figure that the continued anti biotics will also help keep any infection at bay once it bursts. Stick with it girl, it’ll be over soon x 
    • Posted

I broke my neck 2 years ago and this is more pain than that. The compress with the stuff on it burns. The swelling it making the skin discolor and black spots are forming. Is it normal for the skin to bruise and the phoebe compress to burn and sting?
    • Posted

You’re getting close when you can feel it like that. A few ladies on here I’d read previous experiences the same. You’ll soon start to see yellowish pus like stuff on the gauze when you pull it away. 
  • Posted

Hi girls! Thanks for sharing all your experiences, it really helps to know others got through this successfully! I have a rather stupid question - when you apply the gauze, where exactly do you put it? As far as I know, the "entrance" to the gland is rather hidden. Do you have to place the gauze on the inside or is it ok if you place it where you would place a pad and secure it with underwear? 

Also - I've had mine for about a month now, but it wasn't big or painful. A few days ago it became bigger and more painful and now the size and pain have receded a bit. Do you think I should do the treatment anyways? 

Thanks for your help! smile 

• Posted

Yes I would do the treatment too. As bonnie007 said, it will likely get worse before it gets better. The pain is just damn awful, but the relief once it’s gone is incredible. Put the soaked gauze literally right over the cyst. Cover it with it. It gets messy but cover as much of the cyst as you can with the gauze. Hope that helps x
  • Edited

I would do the treatment anyway hun, mine have never been painful or abscessed before now so it’s always possible for them to worsen. I finally have some drainage starting. This has been the most painful thing ever for me! 
    • Posted

That’s great! If it hasn’t yet gone, it won’t be long 👍🏻

• Posted

Hi ms jody. I found that you always have a soft heart to reply on their questions, so i think i can also ask you 1 thing. After the cyst popped, whats the next thing should i do? Continue the gauze with mixture? For how many days? Until it closed? Haha sorry i am so confused. I hope your free now to respond
    • Posted

Hi,  I have such sympathy for you right now. This is every woman’s nightmare to deal with. Once mine had burst, I sat in the loo and ‘coaxed’ the cyst to empty so there was nothing left in it. The relief was instant and because my doctor had given me anti biotics I carried on taking them till the course had finished to help fight any possible infection, it could be worth you seeing your doctor to get some if you haven’t already. I didn’t use any more solution once it had popped though. I hope your ordeal is over soon! Good luck x
    • Posted

Hi Ms Jody, I too find you really kind and soft hearted to all of us girls going through this pain. I noticed there's a lump some time last week but I neglected it as I thought it was just a pimple, but the lump became super swollen and painful three days ago so upon googling online I found this heavenly sent forum along with you lovely ladies. I immediately started the cycle with Phoebe's cure since then, and after another night leaving the cotton pad with the mixture on my lump, the mixture seems to abrade a huge chunk of the skin away. I'm really scared now because it's my first time getting it, and I would like to ask if it's normal and if I should keep applying the mixture knowing the pain will be even worse... I bursted out crying this morning when trying to massage the lump while doing another sitz bath with epsom sal. The pain was just too much to handle! 😭

• Edited

I only have my own experience to go by, and I’ve had a cyst like his 4 times over the last 7 years. My most recent one was when I tried ‘phoebes cure’ method. Whilst doing the gauze swapping, I also had a little bit of what looked like bruised split skin. It wasn’t long after that it popped to be honest. It was almost as if the skin was so thin at that point, it started to get sore, not like the throbbing pain from the cyst itself, but a stinging soreness. I just figured that it was working and doing its thing. I hope you get through til it pops, keep it going. Good luck! 
    • Posted

Thank you for your warm and speedy reply! After noticing the peeling skin (I assume it's the result of tee tree oil from the mixture but I'm not sure), I stopped applying anything and just lay on my bed to rest a bit, n two hours later when I wiped the lump I saw a bit of liquid so I took a mirror to check on the cyst n found a tiny hole. When I lightly pressed towards the hole, it started to drain! I managed to drain about 70% out til nothing seemed to come out anymore so I'm just going to keep applying Phoebe's Cure to see if I could drain more out later! I'm totally crying with happy tears now! :"D Thank you and the rest of the brave ladies who are willing to share your experiences with us who feel/felt so frustrated and helpless when trying to deal with this matter on our own. Sincerely appreciate it! ??

• Posted

If your skin there is thin enough look every part of the cyst if you can see a visible pus. Im also in so much pain that day. But when i saw the eye of the pus clearly, i ask my husband to buy a steriled syringe and steriled gauze. I popped it with the syringe & the pus+blood starts to flow right away. I know its not right & very dangerous. But i just pray & did what i feel. I just make sure to drain out everything & followed by the mixture of oils to prevent infection. Then sitzbath. Then i boil ginger, turmeric, garlic in a glass of water to act as my antibiotic smile Thanks god, nothing happened.  I hope you too get better soon.

• Posted

Ah that’s brilliant! Well done. Glad you’re out the other side now 😊 x 

• Posted

Well done, the relief is instant isnt it? So glad you managed to get through it 💪🏻 X 

• Posted

Yes indeed! Btw, lets be 100% open here. Im sure lots of girls also thinking when they can have sex with their partners after the cyst popped? Any idea? So that everyone could also be informed. smile
    • Posted

I don’t know what a doctor would recommend but me and my partner waited until my antibiotics had finished which was just over a week later. Don’t know if that helps you but I did really like the thought so soon to be honest. Was too much going on there already! 
    • Posted

Wow I admire how brave you were with the syringe! Two days ago when my lump turned super big (no jokes it was a size larger than an egg) I did see some of the pus under the skin and I tried to pop it with a sterilized pimple needle, but it was too painful to go through so I gave up in the end and Im afraid I no longer have the courage to try it again.. After the initial drainage now I can still feel a bump in my cyst and I've been applying the mixture for the past 4 days, but the skin abrasion from the mixture is really harsh as if it's drying out and shedding my skin which makes it even more painful... At this point I'm debating if I should try other methods out (another lady from this thread mentioned turmeric and oil pack?) or just power through with Phoebe's Cure...

• Posted

As i remember, when i pierced the cyst using  steriled syringe i dont feel any pain. Its just like a balloon full of pus & blood. Liquids automatically flows out from the cyst right after i pop it with the syringe.  Next thing i did was to drew a sitzbath & soak a gauze in the oil mixture. I applied it until there is no more blood coming out.  Then after 1day, i stopped applying the oil mixture cause the witchhazel could dry out your skin for using too much of it.. maybe thats why your still in pain. I also stopped doing the sitz bath after 2days. I just felt that too much heat for our flower is not a good idea. smile

What i do now is to continue my detox formula. Which is the

2cloves garlic + 1 thumb turmeric + 1thumb ginger. 

Boil all together in a cup of water for 3minutes.

Squeeze half of lemon on it.

Drink while it hot/warm.

It will act as my antibacterial, anti inflammatory & detoxification.

& everything is so perfect.

At first, i was so nervous because i felt a small hard lamp until the 2nd day.

But maybe with the help of that detox formula, the lump slowly fading away.

I hope it helps. smile

• Posted

Thanks for sharing and providing your detox formula! Wish my experience could be the same as yours though! I'm taking antibiotics now (cuz I had chills and minor fevers on the first two days and I was afraid of getting cellulitis but luckily I have Cephelexin on hand!), but I will definitely try it out to see if it'll help my lump to go away! smile My issue is that I could still drain a bit of blood out of my cyst so I'm not sure if it's completely drained. Upon researching online I learned that if I don't drain it completely, there's a great chance it'll reoccur again.. So I'm just going to continue with sitz baths plus epsom salt and massaging the lump for a couple more days just in case~ And thank you for the knowledge of witch hazel cuz I mistakenly thought the drying was caused by tee tree oil! 😂 I sincerely wish all of us ladies here won't need to deal with this ever again!

• Edited

Hi I've seen your kind replys on here & I'm after ur knowledge of this phoebes cure i can't seem to see it but I know it has the tea tree oil in it, I was advised by the nurse 2 stay away from it because it burns the skin but I just had my first bc 3 wks ago & it returned 3 days ago even bigger and more painful than the first ,I'm beside myself with pain & my partner is also very upset for me, I can say at the ripe old age of 38 this is the worst experience of my life thus far & I'm recovering from a broken back, I'm assuming it didn't fully drain before hence the return, I've antibiotics this time but I need this thing gone!! I can't tell you how I appreciate all the lovely ladies on here & 2 know I'm not the only one suffering with this, I'm very shy & can't tell you the embarrasment I felt at having this so this group has been a life saver for my minds peace , thank you xxx

• Posted

Hi there, it’s a horrible thing to endure, I feel your pain! Ok, so I’ve cut and copied the original posters comments so you can see exactly what I read to get this thing gone. I followed her instructions to the letter and mine burst when it was ready and seriously enough, the relief is instant. Give it a go, I hope it works for you x 

“Phoebe's Cure. I decided I had nothing to lose, drove to the pharmacy, and picked up the necessary ingredients: a bottle of calamine lotion, a bottle of witch hazel, a bottle of tea tree oil, and a roll of gauze. At this point, it was about 5:00 in the afternoon. I drove home, drew myself a hot bath and added Epson salts, and sat for about 20 minutes. When I got out, I soaked the gauze in a mixture of 6 oz of calamine lotion, 2 teaspoons of witch hazel, and 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil. The recipe actually only asks for 1 teaspoon of the latter two ingredients, but at that point I was almost hysterical with pain so I figured, go big or go home. I soaked the gauze in the mixture, then covered the cyst (likely an abscess at this point) with the gauze, held in place with my underwear. I left this for about 40 minutes, swapped for a hot compress for about 10 minutes, then applied another soaked gauze for about 30 minutes. At this point, I couldn't even help crying from the pain. I took a painkiller, and drew myself another hot bath, this time using table salt instead of Epson salts. I stayed in again for about 20 minutes, then restarted the cycle of changing the soaked gauze every 30 minutes or so. I could feel the cyst growing in size and getting even harder, and I noticed the mixture in the gauze was causing some stinging. At around 9:00, about 3 and a half hours after I drew the first bath, (WARNING, this is gross! Please do not read past this point if you are squeamish!) I was lying on the couch and suddenly felt liquid drip down. I put some mild pressure on the gauze, then went to the bathroom to see what was going on. Full disclosure, I'm also on my period right now, making it extremely difficult for me to tell exactly what was going on. I pulled the gauze away and sure enough there was a large spot of pus about as big as a Canadian Twoonie. I wanted to cry in relief, but didn't let myself believe I was out of the woods yet. I swapped for a new gauze again, left it, checked again, and sure enough, more pus. I put pressure on the spot where it seemed to be originating from with the gauze, and when I pulled it away, more pus. I cried with absolute relief.”

• Edited

Hi! I had my 6th cyst last week and got rid of mine in 4 days which is the quickest I’ve ever done it. I read about this cyst formula on another forum that worked for me... I mixed coconut oil and turmeric powder in a bowl until it was a paste.. I added it onto a cotton round pad and placed it directly on the cyst area for about 2 hours. The turmeric and coconut oil help draw the infection.  After that I took a hot sitz bath to rinse the turmeric. Then I mixed sea salt and baking soda with a little water into a paste and placed it on another cotton pad. So the baking soda and sea salt is what’s really going to bring the cyst to a head, which means it will make it closer to popping. It may tingle and burn slightly, mine did. You’re probably going to feel your cyst start to become bigger and stick out a little more, but most likely it’s coming to a head. I did this procedure twice throughout one day. At the end of the day I was frustrated and took a hot bath. After about ten minutes I started massaging my cyst and saw a tiny bit of puss come out. I massaged and squeezed a little harder and a good amount of puss kept coming out. (It literally looked like thin spaghetti noodles- TMI I know but it was wild). I’m pretty sure it was coming out of my original gland opening and it burst through that. I gently pressed everything out and felt my cyst go down completely and only felt the inflammation on my labia. Two hours later I felt my cyst swell back up so I went back to the tub and massaged it out again. I was terrified that I was possibly going to make things worse. But I surrendered and then got out of the tub, put a dab of tea tree oil mixed with water on a cotton pad and had it on my cyst for an hour to clean the area. I went to bed and prayed for it not to come back in the morning. I woke up and there was no cyst but my labia was still inflamed. Its 5 days after and everything is back to normal. I still took sitz baths everyday. I have also been taking turmeric supplements (good for inflammation) and just bought an expensive vagina probiotic from my local health store. Hopefully these can help prevent future cysts, because I know this has to be something lying dormant within us! We just have to clear it out for future prevention. I’m also going to visit a holistic doctor soon for some advice, because I refuse to get the gland taken out or a marzupilation like the OBGYNS recommend. I hope whoever else reads this and tries this remedy that it works for you as well, just don’t give up, and know it will become worse before it gets better. I just refuse to go get them lanced ever again at the doctors, it’s just truly awful! Good luck to all you beautiful women, and know you’re not alone! 
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your reply I'm praying this will work I really don't want this back again, I'm a super clean freak and when I got this my heart plummeted now I know it's just one of those things that can't be blamed on anything , thank you again xx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I've just said to another lady that I'm a super clean freak and when I got this my heart plummeted now I know it's just one of those things that can't be blamed on anything just treated, mine went so large it blocked the opening of my vagina and the pain!! And I wanted to die from embarrassment at having the nurse poke around down there , silly I know but I didn't receive much advice just a prescription, so thank again for sharing your advice and experience it really helps to know I'm not alone xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.