hookworm therapy for PMR?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Have any of you had experience with using hookworm to dampen the autoimmune system and reduce the symptoms of PMR?  Evidence seems to be accumulating on the effectiveness of this in treating other autoimmune disorders.

When I was first diagnosed, I assumed I’d have to take some prednisone for months or years and everything would be dandy.  However, based on the experiences of those on this forum, and my own overwhelming fatigue, I am getting less optimistic.  I would welcome a few intestinal fellow travelers if this would allow me to avoid both chronic inflammation and the side effects of long-term use of prednisone.

For information on this, you can google “hookworm” and “autoimmune,” or look for the program on parasites.

I’d really appreciate any information anyone might share on using this approach for PMR.  Thanks!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The most common clinical symptoms of helminthic therapy include;Fatigue[1]

Malnutrition[1]

Gastrointestinal discomfort[3]

Anemia[1][5][6]

Fever[6]

Abdominal pain[6]

Weight loss[6]

Anorexia[6]

Diarrhea[6]

General malaise[6]

I googled .... side effects.....

• Posted

A friend of mine has just been round for coffee and said "I have just met someone who has what you have got and she wants to stop taking steroids currently 13mg and try hookworm instead!!" Apparently she has enrolled somewhere and she will have a patch with thirty hookworms on it which they will stick on her skin. She has not done it yet, but seems to be quite a way down the path, I will let you know any feedback. 
    • Posted

Thanks, Ptolemy!  The course of PMR is so variable, it will be hard to determine whether the hookworms helped.  However, as I said above, I am more worried about the long-term inflammation of the blood vessels than I would be about a low level infestation of hookworm.  I'd love to hear how your friend's friend does.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.