Hoping for some advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

First off, I'm not in the UK but this is the forum that keeps showing up in searches.  I hope that doesn't matter.

I'm at that fat, forty, flatulent stage in my life, but I try to eat well because I'm diabetic.  Starting this past Thursday - pain, like a really tight belt across my upper abdomen, the bottom of my ribcage hurts, radiates to the middle of my back and until today I've been able to lay down and make it stop some, with an addition of tylenol with codeine at night to make me sleep.  

I've been drinking pure non-sweetened apple juice with a bit of apple cider vinegar in it as much as I can stand.  

I am not having nausea nor diarrhea, but I'm not hungry at all really. I'm trying to eat a few things to keep my blood sugar up.  

However I feel completely constipated/full.  I did go last night and it was normal but very light colored.  If I don't feel better by this afternoon (I woke up far too early and need to nap first) I am going to the ER to see what's happening.  

Would it be bad if I took a stool softener ie: colace or a laxative?  

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, It will be better if you will do ultrasonography of the abdomen. It will help to investigate if there is gall bladder disorder.
  • Posted

Hi Carrie,

I'm not from the UK either but everyone is so nice and helpful on here.

I have the same pains. They found gallstones with me and after not being able to handle another "attack" they scheduled surgery for me. Not till the 22nd so I'm trying cope and make it that far.

Gail

• Posted

Did you go to the Dr. or to the ER?  I laid flat for about 4 hours and felt fine while I did, however the minute I get up I feel bad again.  At this particular moment I'm not in pain, but am extremely uncomfortable.  

I'm not insured and have some really odd conflicts going on with work.  I honestly don't know what to do. 

• Posted

Hi Carrie,

I went to the doctor about 12 weeks ago for stomach problems. A lot of tests and then finally a ultrasound that showed gallstones.  I have put off going to ER cause I hear they just send you home with pain pills. 

I hope you can get some help. You did tell me you're in the States, right?

If so, you will get disability for your down time and the State should help you.

Hope you can get some relief soon.

Right now, I have terrible heartburn and a burning feeling in the middle of my back. have you tried alka seltzer  and tons of water? 

Gail

• Posted

I am in Illinois, and I'm one of the uninsured.  I qualified for Obamacare of course, but the deductibles for us poor folks is ridiculous so I didn't sign up this year.  I should have, but I didn't.  

I ate some turkey breast on white bread with my apple juice/cider concoction and again I feel all stuffed up.  I gave up alka seltzer and baking soda water a couple of days ago.  Perhaps I should try again.  

• Posted

I ended up going to the ER early this morning because I couldn't take the pain any more.  I went through the sonogram and they did find a gallbladder full of stones and inflamed.  The ER doctor came in and told me the surgeon would see me tomorrow morning or later this afternoon - left me alone to gather my things together and came back in and told me that I was being discharged, and to make an appointment with the surgeon because I wasn't "sick" enough.  My white blood cell count wasn't high enough, nor was I running a fever.  

I asked how much pain did I have to be in and because I hadn't told the triage nurse I was at a 10, that wasn't enough either.  I'm going to see about a different surgeon tomorrow perhaps.  I have all the tests and radiology, all he has to do is call in and ask for it.

I am so very disappointed.  If the other surgeon can't get me in, I'll have to wait until Monday and then who knows how long after that to get in to have it removed.  I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with the pain and now - the runs and nausea I've started.  

• Posted

Hi Carrie,

Well, I went in for my Pre OP, on Thursday and as soon as the doc. saw we he put straight to the ER. I was having an attack in his office. I was so sick, sweating and miserable . So went straight to ER and because of the good notes the doctor wrote, they put me in right away. Gave me some good drugs to ease me. Took a lot of blood work and then put me in a room to wait to be operated on. I had to waits little because emergencies came in so that did bump me back but I was ok, so glad to be out of pain. So at 4:00am next morning I went in.  Boy-O -Boy do I feel better. Alittle sore, four small incisions and it's done.  Been sleeping a lot and lightly eating but sooooo glad it's done.

So how is it going with the insurance thing? Did you find someone to help? Do you have another appt. soon. You know, when they did my blood work, none of mine came up bad except for potassium  and I had to go for an hour to get a drip for that before they would do surgery

Go to the doctor and just tell them, I can't go through this anymore.

Let me know Carrie what goes on? Stay calm

Gail

• Posted

I went in Monday and we scheduled me for this Friday.  It's been a long week of highly annoying but  not horrible pain.  It's so tiring.  I've had a problem at work, it seems we've all fallen apart at the same time.  One woman had to have hand surgery last week, another girl and I are having a conflict of surgery.  She's been scheduled for a hysterectomy on the 24th for two weeks, but all of a sudden yesterday she comes in and says she's had the date wrong and it's the 22nd.  That puts 3 of us out of commission at once.  They're trying very hard to get me to change my surgical date.  And I just said - you know what, if we do that I'll just be missing a bunch of work because I've pulled up my big girl pants long enough about this and I need it done.  So I'm going to try to get back to work on Monday for them if nothing else.  

How are YOU doing?  Everything OK do you feel a ton better now that it's been done?  Tell me what's going on with you.

• Posted

Carrie,

Trying to go back to work on that Monday after Friday surgery?  UGH....no, who are you superwoman ? you tell work "I'll try "then you  don't . You have to rest and it's hard to walk and straighten up the first 2 days.

Promise to take it easy...

Gail

• Posted

OK I'm home, my gallbladder is missing!  It went quite well.  I'm sitting on the couch and having really bad gas pains, but I think that's good.  I'm belching too.  But man I'm starving lol 
    • Posted

Carrie,

Yeah!!!! Aren't you so glad it's over? Are you on pain meds? So it went pretty well then? Did you have any problems, gettiing nausea when you woke up?

I just had my stiches out today and had been a little conspitated for the past 2days. But came home and eating a lot of watermelon and grapes and forcing water down.

Rest up..

Gail

• Posted

I'm on pain meds, but have decided to let them be for the time being so my bowels could work, although with every tylenol with codeine i've taken, I'm taking a stool softhener.  I am worried about being constipated.  My friend made me some really thin potato soup and I've had a couple of bowls of it.  

I'm wanting something solid, but am going to wait until tomorrow to do that.  My pain is probably about 6 today.  And I keep having this odd little kick/cramp in my lower right abdomen.  It was super hard to get out of bed this morning.  

I have watermelon waiting on me too!  

I hope you're feeling well. I don't go til next Monday to get my stitches out and the Dr. called my job and said absolutely I was not to come back to work til after Wednesday.

• Posted

Carrie,

Glad your doctor called work and said that, now you can sleep and relax.

I have thoses " kick" pains too, Doc. said it is gas. My stomach is still sore but gets better everyday that passes. My mind says I'm hungry but stomach says eah, wait awhile. little pieces of graham crackers ease the urge. still nervous to eat normally .

Arent you so glad it's over .

G ail

• Posted

Gail, I'm very glad we've made a connection.  I really hope you're feeling well.    

Yes I'm very glad it's over.  I have a little cough pillow, which is very helpful.  I have COPD and cough a little bit.  I'm still on my potato soup, but had a friend drop by with 20 dark chocolate kisses - my favorite.  I ate a couple and put the others in the kitchen.  That was so good.  

Try this if you're seriously hungry for "good" food - 

one container of the pre-made Bob Evans mashed potatoes, in the regular flavor -

1 carton of natural chicken broth, no fat or salt added.  (the potatoes have enough salt and fat)

mix together til soup like then she added some potato flakes to give it some more texture.  A little pepper and it's been super good.  Makes me feel like I'm eating something.  

I'm alone now, and not comfortable being so.  I have dropped everything I've touched so I'm learning quickly how to bend over.  My two adult cats are very protective of me and are laying on either side of me on the couch, and the two younger cats are coming up for lots of head rubs.  

I also am supposed to shower today and take off my bandages, but I'm still kind of wobbly - and don't want to shower here alone.  But on the other hand I'm enjoying the alone time and I'm binging on Breaking Bad on Netflix smile  

• Posted

Oh, mashed potatoes sounds so good. And chocolate...haven't had that  in awhile. Yummmmm

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.