Hormone Replacement Therapy - Pellets

Posted , 10 users are following.

I recently had testosterone and estrogen pellets put in as well as an oral progesterone pill. Just wanting to get positive and/or negative feedback on this type of HRT. It's only been 3 days and I'm experiencing a lot of body/muscle aches and not sure if it's related or not. I feel like I've working out or hit by a truck!! Anyone experience this? Perhaps it's just my body adjusting. Help! Any insight on your personal experience would be helpful!!

Thank you smile

0 likes, 90 replies

90 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Traci, I'm sorry I can't help you with this but there are menopause groups on Facebook where you can ask your question and probably get loads of answers. I've gone on a couple and had so many helpful responses and normally really quickly. Hope you get some good advice x

• Posted

Thank you! I will check on FB. They have groups for everything on there!!
  • Posted

Hi, Traci,

I just got the pellets tomorrow will be 3 weeks ago.  I got Estrogen and Testosterone, but have not noticed any changes yet.  I didn't get progesterone because I guess I don't need it, having had a hysterectomy years ago.  I think it takes a long time to feel the results.   I am impatient.

• Posted

Yes. I have been on this therapy for 2 years. I had to cut back on the testosterone because I started to grow haair under my chin but otherwise love it! Never felt better. Just wondering where u are from. It is new to my area in the United States
    • Posted

Also I started to feel the effects 2 weeks after the initial pellets were placed. After about a month I was Golden!😀Hope this helps!

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

I have read about hair growth and weight gain and I'm worried about that! I sure don't want a big gut and beard LOL I feel like it's giving me a little more energy so I'm hoping I get good results with this. I had a hysterectomy when I was 29 (I'm 44 now) but kept my ovaries. My doctor said I needed the progesterone I guess to balance out the estrogen. I'm still learning and researching all this though. I just don't understand the achiness I'm having. 

• Posted

Traci, don't trust the ovaries.  I had a hysterectomy when I was 34 and kept them, but by 37 they were so atrophied, that it didn't even matter that I had them.  Doctor said they were nearly gone, and certainly not doing any good.  And I have heard some reports of the weight gain, etc... but only like two people out of all these posts.  And if we get more energy, then maybe moving around would counter act that.  And the chin hairs are already there for me, because of whatever causes them (if you don't have them yet expect them)  so I just wax them.  Is your thyroid OK?  Sometimes that causes achiness.

• Posted

Hi Tracey. I'm curious about the progesterone are u taking the generic or the promethium from the compounding pharmacy?

• Posted

Hi Shelly-sorry for the delay I'm not getting notifications and I've got it set up correctly in my settings. I'm taking 100mg generic progesterone. 

• Posted

I hope I start feeling better soon.  I was ready to kill my husband all weekend.  I don't even know if any of our arguments were even his fault.  I am so tired of this.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen- I probably want to kill my boyfriend at least three times a day LOL I'm very irritable and also a Gemini. He always asks me "which twin am I dealing with today?" LOL 

• Posted

I wonder if the testosterone has kicked in ahead of the oestrogen.  It is a pity your dr did get your oestrogen going first to see how that goes before introducing testosterone.
    • Posted

That has crossed my mind.... a lot.  Maybe I should just ride it out and see if things get better....hope that is soon.

• Posted

If and when you find the testosterone is not working for you, there is an anti-androgen you can take to offset it.  Unless you have the testosterone pellet removed, which is probably a problem if it is in with the oestrogen.

• Posted

They are going to have me do blood work again in another 3 weeks, so we'll know then.  That is good to know, and will ask for it if that turns out to be the problem.  I hope not, but you never know...

Thanks!!

• Posted

I've read that it's not an easy procedure to have the pellets removed and normally we just have to wait until our next pellet insertion visit (3-5 months) to make any adjustments but that's only what I've read. 

• Posted

Traci, I got 137 mg of testosterone and 12.5 of estrogen.  What amount did you get?
    • Posted

Kathleen, I'm honestly not sure. I forgot to ask! I am going to call and find out though. 

• Posted

Dear lord that's a lot of testosterone! I know it wears off because I was given that amount my first time from a "newbie". Way too high..

Since then I've started going to an experienced hormone dr who says you always start on the low end (maybe 50 mg testosterone) and work your way up according to your symptoms; same with the estrogen. You'll find YOUR number. We are all different.

I'm guessing you've found yours since this is an older post.

I'll never be without these pellets.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.