Hormone Replacement Therapy - Pellets

Posted , 10 users are following.

I recently had testosterone and estrogen pellets put in as well as an oral progesterone pill. Just wanting to get positive and/or negative feedback on this type of HRT. It's only been 3 days and I'm experiencing a lot of body/muscle aches and not sure if it's related or not. I feel like I've working out or hit by a truck!! Anyone experience this? Perhaps it's just my body adjusting. Help! Any insight on your personal experience would be helpful!!

Thank you smile

0 likes, 90 replies

90 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Ha, Tracy!  I wish mine at least had a sense of humor about it.  He probably thinks I am just a b***h and not aware that it is hormonal, although I have told him....was that probably when he wasn't listening?  Maybe he is just scared.  Ha! Ha!  I'd be scared of me the way I have been feeling lately.  I just wish it would start "working."  I hear of people having results like you so quickly and I feel nothing different.  I am so tired of feeling so like I am not really here, or am here, but locked inside trying to get out.  The old me, ya know?  Truly, I don't think we are meant to feel like this for the rest of our lives just because our bodies are not popping out babies anymore.  And I live in Orange Grove, Texas, and go into Corpus Christi where things are a bit backwards, for this HRT stuff.  Bedford is at least closer to a big city.  Was it hard for you to find someone for treatment?  It was hard to find and disappointing trying to explain how I feel to a 25 year old nurse practioner who has probably never even given birth, much less had any experience with menopausal issues.  Ya, I kind of ramble.... sorry.  Hope your pellets start working well for you.   Keep us posted!!

• Posted

Haha! Yes he does have a sense of humor and is way more patient than I would be putting up with myself!! It wasn't hard for me to find treatment here. Honestly, my doctor wanted me to do this 1 1/2 years ago but I couldn't afford it then. My muscle aches have gone away but now my nipples are tender!! Ugh!! I wish this sh!t would balance already!!

• Posted

I also just had last week my estrogen pellet inserted, no testosterone but (yet). Also wonder how long it takes to kick in rolleyes I have had estrogen injections for the last 8 months which where great but can't get hold of them anymore- mehhhh sad 

Anyhow I have weaned myself down on them to avoid having a higher level but now I think I probably should've kept it up for a bit, my joints are also aching today, didn't have that in the last 8 months. Also some minor hot flashes again 

Chin hair, I have them already I just tweeze or shave it, HRT has not helped with that issue. My ovaries have atrophied already, I'm 44 also end of this year and unknowingly until 2.5 years ago went through peri , defs postmeno now for good 1-1.5 years and been on all sorts of hrt, liking as stated above the injections the best. 

How much mg of estrogen did you get in your implant? Xx

• Posted

Ya know, when I read all our posts, and ones in other discussions about the same topics, I keep reading the same kind of comments from most of us.  One of us talks about our treatment and how it worked so well, and it had to be stopped because there was not a doctor to prescribe, and another has a doctor, and others are ordering online, and talking about who is reputable for that, etc....  It makes us sound like a bunch of drug addicts, trying to find a fix.  All we are doing is trying to find competent medical care and treatment so that we can continue to be contributing positive members of society, and not feel like death warmed over while we do it!!!  And we have to act all surreptitiously, trying to find this care.  I think it is a crying shame that we are treated like this..... or NOT treated.  
    • Posted

Yes, the same questions are asked over and over again and I feel like I am repeating my responses over and over again.

One good thing is that I am seeing more interest in oestrogen pellet implants.  Maybe this increased interest might bring them back to the pharmacies instead of chasing them up from compound chemists.

How is your's going?

• Posted

Hi, Sheryl,

I am feeling a bit better.  I don't feel so angry all the time now.  I guess that is a good thing, right?  It has been almost a month, or maybe only three weeks, so I don't know if I am just imagining it or not.  Either way, I feel better.

• Posted

I had to look back to your responses - it may be 5 weeks.  You posted 14 days ago to say that you had them implanted 3 weeks prior.

i am glad you are feeling better.

• Posted

Hi Traci! I'm in Roanoke. I'm wondering what Dr. you saw for your HRT. Did your insurance cover any part of it?

Are you feeling better now? 

Thanks for your help

Cathy

• Posted

Hi after a full hysterectomy 2 years ago I have tried all hrts and was still struggling with joint and muscle pain, fatigue, no libido etc. So last week had implant/pellets. 2.5 oestrogen and 0.5 testosterone.

Could anyone with similar experiences tell me if this worked and how long it takes to kick in, how long they lasted, any other useful information?

Many thanks.

• Posted

Hi you ladies that are on pellets...Ive had a low dose oestrogen and testosterone one for about a month but feel worse than on tablets, think too low....how long did it take to get settled on them?
  • Posted

Mine took about 3 weeks till I felt a 'surge' in my breasts.  If your body needs more oestrogen than what you have been given, it will use it up quicker.

Why do you need testosterone?  I never have that and in fact, I take an anti androgen medication to reduce the androgens/testosterone that cause high sebum in face (deep pimples) and scalp (sebum coating), hair loss, but hair gain on face.

I notice that a number of ladies on this forum are also given testosterone implants.

• Posted

Hi, think mine has run out, feel awful, literally like running on empty.

Testosterone given to try and improve energy and libido. Not working. Guess Ive just got to hope that it'll build up with each implant but not sure how long I can cope like this.

• Posted

Keep up your hopes.  Everyone is different, and I feel like if you don't get to feeling better with one doctor, and if they won't change things so that you do feel better, change doctors.  Maybe you will get to feeling better soon.  I know it is horrible to feel this way, like you are not yourself anymore.  I told the GYN nurse that I would rather blow my head off than to continue on feeling this way.  She looked at me and said, "I am sorry."  I was beside myself.  And if this is as good as I get to feeling, I will try something else, but I am hoping things get better than now.  I feel a little better, but not as good as I would like to feel in order to feel like a woman again instead of a spayed dog or cat who just feels like laying around all the time.  I know this is not how we are supposed to spend our "golden years."  Not feeling like this.

• Posted

Thanks Kathleen, it's hard isn't it! What other forms of hrt have you tried? I've had everything so this is the last thing to try. I used to get good days but there was never consistency and I would get 2-3 bad days but my mood was good, was more joint pains and fatigue and I thought implant would have less fluctuations. Had bloods done so will see where I'm at.

How far on are you from hysterectomy if you had one?

Hope you continue to see some improvement

• Posted

Yes, ma'am, it is extremely difficult, and medical personnel don't seem to care a bit.....or very few of them....  I had a hysterectomy in 1987 when I was 34, and they left my ovaries in, but when I was 36 ir 37, I guess, the doctor told me my ovaries were so shrivelled up that they were hard to discern, and that they were certainly not functioning at all.  So he gave me the patches, and I felt great.  Prior, I had been crying for no reason, anxiety attacks, etc...  So the patches.... they didn't stay on my skin worth a damn, and I had to use several a week, because they would end up on the pillow, in the wash, down in my shoe, you get the picture....  very expensive to say the least, and not effective at all when they came off.  So they tried the pills, and nothing worked like the patches.  Then after several tries, they came out with the "flawed research" that said if women took HRT they would die, and no more pills for me.  The doctors all of a sudden said instead of needing HRT, I must have all of a sudden become depressed, and needed antidepressant meds, which made me fat and made me feel like a spayed dog (how I would imagine one feels) and so I stopped those.  So since about 2008, I have felt empty.  Completely empty.  I don't know how else to describe it.  So it occurred to me while talking to my daughter, who had her hysterectomy long enough ago that she is needing hormone replacement, and it all fell into place for me, as to why I felt so crappy.  Duh, hormones!!!  She said she noticed the difference in me when I stopped the patches.  Well, OK!!  Now I know what is wrong.  So I go to the GYN's office and in the office visit, I ask for the HRT, and this 24 or 25 year old child tells me basically that I am too old for them, but that she would give me cream for vaginal dryness, which is the only symptom I don't have, and had told her that. (bug spray for the cobwebs down there would have been more appropriate, as I had told her I hadn't had any attention to the danger zone in over a year) And have been off the HRT too long, and that there are whatever % chances I could have a stroke, heart attack, get run over crossing the street, whatever... and no.  No HRT. I don't care about % chances of things that could possibly go wrong.  I 100% felt terrible, and that was no chance of something, it was a total reality.  I told her I felt like killing myself, and she said she was sorry.  I only hope she is treated the very same way when she goes through menopause.  I doubt this woman has ever even experienced childbirth, much less any hormonal issues.   So ya, the medical personnel are less than informed, or maybe they just don't care about their patients at all.  I tend to think it is a combination of the two.  I want to hope it is a combination of the two.  So far it is slow going, but I do seem to feel better.  It is gradual.  Waaaay gradual.  I am going to get more blood tests, and see if I need more of something because although I do feel better, I still don't feel like myself.  I can't pin point what it is that is better, and I think it may just be my feeling like I am doing something about how I feel, and that I now realize what it is that is making and has been making me feel so crappy all these years.  My wish list is:

Libido

Ability to sleep more than 3 hours a night

Looking like a grandmother, not a great grandmother

Energy

Patience

Less irrational fear and anxiety

Did I already say Libido?

Ability to concentrate

Less joint pain

Basically, I just want to feel like myself again..... is that too much to ask?

So there you have it.  My story in a nutshell.  I hope we both feel much better soon.  

• Posted

Wow you have been through the wringer!! I think its criminal that a flawed study put so many women in that position 😠

Remind me what are you trialling now? What strengh pellets and for how long?

Ive gone so low on E that am barely functioning and am supposed to last till December. Waiting for bloods to see if can have another implant or supplement with patches x

• Posted

I had implants of estrogen and testosterone in July.  It is 137.5 of testosterone and 12.5 of estrogen.  I can't believe how lackadaisical the medical community is about our hormones.  It does seem criminal.  And there are thousands in my position, it seems.

• Posted

I had 0.25 oestrogen and 0.50 testosterone in UK. Definitely need more oestrogen!

I too need more energy, libido, relief from joint pains, hair improvement etc. Mood was good till this dip, forgot how much worse things can get.

Are you seeing any improvement?

• Posted

I don't know if I am or not.  Sometimes I think that I am feeling better due to doing something to advocate for myself.  I am just plugging away, doing what I usually do, and I noticed I feel hopeful where I didn't before, and I am not so angry all the time.  So that is good.  It is time for me to get blood work again.

• Posted

I did get told by the nurse that it can sometimes take 2 to 3 rounds to get full benefit...only another year or so of this nightmare then! 😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.