HORMONE TEST NORMAL

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All. I am showing signs of peri men, even though my test has come back normal. I have skipped 3 periods then had a peiod from hell! the only symptons other (than skipping a few) is abosolute exhaustion , I never feel refreshed from sleep. I have no Flushes etc, however I have been on sertreline ( AD) for 7 years due to an anxiety disorder. can anyone recomend any vitimins etc that i could take at this stage of transition?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Forgot to mention I am 50 x
  • Posted

Hi hun

Ive been in perimenopause for eight years im now 48. The depression and anxiety is awful!!!! Went on mirtazapine AD in November. it did help but unfortunately I've gained a lot of weight so in the process of weaning off. Not sure if thats a good idea or not. Only time will tell. Ive not found anything else that works but would love to hear other comments

Keep talking it helpsbiggrin

• Posted

Hi Michelle

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time!  I've just joined this forum as I'm at my wits end with peri symptoms - mainly depression and anxiety and I need to 'talk' to others who understand how awful this is!  I'm 51 and almost 2 years ago I woke up one morning feeling as if I was having a massive panic attack and a feeling of being 'out of touch' with reality.  I couldn't make it to work that day which was not like me as I'm usually very conscientious.  I put it down to stress I was suffering having lost my mum suddenly a year previously and coping with my dad having terminal cancer for 3 years as well as many other major life changes.

I went to the doctor who advised it could be stress related and/or peri and prescribed me fluoxetine and diazepam - both low dosages.  I felt a little better for a while and then severe anxiety began.  I could barely go to the supermarket with feeling 'scared' and suddenly developed a fear of driving (for the first time in 25 years!).  

I was back to my GP several times, had blood tests which confirmed slight changes suggesting start of peri and was prescribed paroxetine which was gradually increased to 60mg.  I sometimes have days when I feel I can cope with anything and be 'normal' again and then I have days where I can barely get out of bed or get ready for the day.  I'm frequently tearful and my partner finds it difficult to understand.  I still grieve for my parents which is normal but it's the horrendous anxiety which is hardest to cope with.  I exercise (although it's difficult to get motivated sometimes), eat reasonably well, tke Menopace and have had CBT therapy but none of these are helping.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone else struggling like me.  Hopefully we can give each other the support we need.  

Hugs to all who are finding it hard to cope. x

• Posted

Im so sorry to hear that you are such a horrible place.  I completely understand, it must be so hard.  I have had a full on panic attack called 999, awful thought i was dying.  I went to the the dr then and thy gave me diazepam when probably what i should have had was anti-depresents.  There is something called talking therapy, you might be able to find out about it from your GP. (they are called Outlook)  Also mindfulness is brilliant, calmes your mind down.  i have just completed a self referral for talking therepy which is supposed to give you coping strategys.  Excercise helps me massively, swimming is good.  With me i start worryng about something and suddenly its massive, i dont seem to be able to get off that thought pattern.  Im so glad i found this site as i thought i was going mad at one point.  If we can all help each other in some way, well i thinks thats brilliant.  Pill wise, Magneseum ok is good as is Agnus Castus, all the b vitamins.

Take care big hug.

• Posted

Aww Nikiola.. thank so much for taking the time to reply - it means a lot. I'm so sorry that, you too, are having a hard time.  I admire you for doing what you can to help yourself with your swimming etc and wish you good luck with Outlook.  I also self referred for talking therapy through NHS 24 (I'm in Scotland so not sure if it's available elsewhere) and it did help me to understand that 'the world is not a frightening place' and with some coping mechanisms, however, I still have days I struggle to cope.  I've heard of Mindfulness and will look into this as I've hear it can help.  Your panic attack must have been terrifying but I've been reassured it can't do you any harm, will not kill you and it WILL pass.  I carry diazepam with me at all times which gives me reassurance should I start to feel panicky.  I lost all interest and enthusiasm for the hobbies I used to love (cycling, mountain biking, walking) and sometimes have to remind myself that, hopefully, that 'girl' is still in there somewhere (just buried deep inside!) and will come back one day!  I've just started taking magnesium so fingers x'd.  Goodness, we would try anything when we feel this awful!!

I also thought I was going mad until I started reading about peri symptoms - I can tick almost every box!  I don't have any friends suffering as badly so it's hard to talk to them although they are sympathetic.

Thank you again for your reply.  I feel a little better already.

Wishing you all the best.  Take care too.  Michele

• Posted

SNAP!

My hormone tests were normal too! Absolute joke as ive suffered with peri symptoms for the past 4/5 yrs and was on HRT for just over 3yrs.

I take multi vits, B1 B6 and B12 vits, starflower herbal capsules, cod liver oil and sea kelp. I noticed an improvement using the starflower as i suffered with period cramps but havent had any since. Sea kelp has improved the condition of my hair.

In hoping to go back on Hrt as it really agreed with me. Just waiting to see a gyne consultant on 15th May.

Lots of ladies on here take vitamins and herbal tablets. You just need to find something that suits you. Ive still to find something that helps with my flushes. Nothing has helped me so far.

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Elaine these tablets your taking are the b'S all in one or individual as i take alot too and have been worrying im overdosing.How ;long you been on sea kelp to see a difference ?
    • Posted

I take the individual B vits but have tried the B Complex (all in one) and actually felt better on those but was told id be best taking the individual vits as higher dose. To be honest i still get anxiety any mood swings especially before a period but im just persevering with all the tablets.

The sea kelp seems to have kicked in after 3/4 weeks. Even my hairdresser noticed the improvement. My fringe area was thinning and hair generally dry but it now seems a bit thicker at the fringe and much healthier and stronger smile So im definitely carrying on with the kelp.

I could do with something to help my Pmt as since stopping Hrt i seem to turn into a witch 2 wks before im due on! Any suggestions ladies?

• Posted

Thanks elaine .I wasnt too bad in my peri, i think i took menopace plus for months,that has all the vitamins in there is two tablets once a day.Then i started taking fx menopause,these were also good but expensive.i always got the starter pack so they lasted awhile,they were very good i felt a difference after a week.I have just finished them and back on menpace original,but still very hot at night.
  • Posted

Hi, I think i am at the same stage as you.  I have had weird anxiety things for the past 10 years, i had my daughter at 38 and a year later my periods started to go a bit haywire.  Over the years i have had odd radom panic moments. I had a full on panic attack 2 years ago ended up calling an ambulance.  I was told when i went to the Drs 11 years ago when my periods even way back then started going a bit eractic that i was on the slippery down hill peri menopause slide. Yay!  I used to get PMS so bad when i was younger my ex boyfriends mum put me on this trial for Magneseum OK, which i have taken over the years.  I have found that that worked (when i could remember to take it)  another one i take is Agnus Castus.  I remember reading an artical years ago on the Sunday Times Magazine about how women were turning up in surgeries in their 30s most probably peri meno and just being chucked anti depresents, when a simple blood test would determin that it was hormone fluctuations.  This was a while ago and im sure that most drs do test for this now.  It went on to say that the one herbal rememdy that seemed to work was Agus Castus, you can get it in various strengths some in liquid form, but it does work a bit for me, not on my really stressy days.  I have also been told as of last visit after stressing about an eye infection that i have mind hypertension, again i think all related to the anxiety i am feeling.  Menopace is another i have tried that is also good.  B12, B6 are all good.
  • Posted

Whooops just noticed in my reply that i said women were turning up at surgeries in their 30's, meant 40's, oh dear must stop typing so fast and read it before i hit send!! doh!
  • Posted

Yep. I have been showing signs now for 6 months. And the symptoms I was telling my GP, that I thought I was peri said rubbish. I'm to young mmm I'm 45!!. Because I'm still having regular periods no no no he said. Anyway I had some blood test done, today I had my results I'm NORMAL, I know my body and I'm PERI arrrrrrr. The lady receptionst recommended that I now see  a lady doctor?!!. My last period was so bad it knocked me out I was in bed at 7pm & didn't wake till 7am the following morning. It was probably the worst period I have had so far!. So at least  you aren't alone on that issue!!!.
    • Posted

Hi Michelle,  I too went to the drs 3 years ago when i was 47 when i had my panic attack and felt awful, anxious horrible crushing doom feeling never had before, did blood tests they also came back normal, I remember my dr was saying that no not peri-menopausal when i could swear something was happening, i think because the hormones are fluctuating so much sometime they dont show up.  I went to dr last Monday, on my 10th day of being on my period!! 16 days after the last one, and i was so uptight i was practically on the ceiling.  It did show hormone fluctations this time im 50 now. 

• Posted

I sympathies with you all. My tests too were normal but been in perimenopause 8 years!!

Ive had the worst few years of my life!!! Just praying for it all to endsad(

• Posted

my peri wasnt too bad i was 45 when the i had hot flushes but they were barable.My periods were all over the place but never very heavy,they stopped at 49 and thats when it hit me,in and out of hospital,for chest pains, gerd and all sorts of tests. Im now 53 and starting to settle down.I was on HRT for 6 months but didnt agree with me,im now on menopace plus just started black cohosh.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.