Horrible bleeding - 1st Time CIC

Posted , 8 users are following.

Yesterday, I tried self cathing but was not successful. I guess I couldn't get it past the prostate. But when I pulled it out after several attempts, I was horrified at the amount of blood that came out! Some of it very thick, and could fill like two small cappuccino cups - quite thick!

Strangely too, I am not experiencing any injury feelings when I pee since then.

Anybody had so much blood from cathing before? Where did my blood come from? What did I not do right? I am worried to try again. Any advice?

I feel like I am having some PVR which gives me regular discomfort in my abdomen.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks Lester

I did all that you advised.

I am only trying to understand why there was so much blood. My health condition has not changed since yesterday, so no alarms as at now.

• Posted

Emmanuel,

Bleeding is common when first trying to use a catheter. It is alarming when you first see it, but it will heal and the urethra will toughen up and the bleeding will stop. After the third or fourth time it will probably not bleed any more.

The Coloplast Speedicath is a very stiff catheter, not good for first time. I started in a Urologist's office with a Red Rubber (Latex) catheter made by Bard. The are much softer and flexible so less likely to cause bleeding, but you must lubricate them with a water soluble lube, like KY Jelly, Surgilube, or McKesson lube. The lube can be squeezed onto a paper towel or gause pad, and the catheter tip twirled in it to lube the first 3 inches or so. The Urologist I was seeing then recommended size 16 in the red rubber, because it would bend less going in, however I found size 14 worked well also. In the stiffer catheters like Speedicath, a smaller diameter like 14 or 12 might be better. The Red Rubber catheters can be cleaned with soap and water and reused. I have reused them up to 4 weeks, 6 times per day, with no problem. The pre-lubed cathers should only be used once. Most people with enlarged prostate (BPH) use coude tip, to help navigate around the enlarged prostate. If your using the coude tip, the bent tip should be facing up when you insert it. There is a mark on the funnel end that is in line with the coude tip and should also be facing up, towards the ceiling as you insert it.

If your having problem with bleeding it is very important to keep everything clean, to avoid Urinary Track Infection (UTI). I use Providone Iodine, from a drugstore, to clean the tip and opening of the penis. It will kill any germs without stinging the urethra. It is also useful to collect the urine in a measuring cup to measure the volume and check for cloudiness or bad smell, which would indicate UTI. If you suspect UTI see a doctor as soon as possible to get checked for UTI and get an antibiotic if necessary. Beware of the time because doctor's offices may not be open after hours and weekends.

Good luck,

Thomas

• Posted

Hi Thomas:

I used the Speedicath Flex Coude twice for emergency purposes. I did not know which way the coude part was supposed to point. I remember reading that another brand had the line that you mention, but I never "noticed" that line on the speedicath. Are you sure the speedicath flex coude has that line? I know I could just open one and check it more thoroughly, but I am going on vacation and don't want to waste a catheter just to check this (I only have 6 catheters for emergencies). Thanks for any info you can provide.

• Posted

Rdemyan,

There are several varieties of the Coloplast Speedicath. The one I am using is just call Speedicath. I think the Speedicath Flex coils into a circle, for compact carrying. I don't know much about the Flex, I tried it once, but didn't like the curve in it. The Coloplast Speedicath comes in a straight green foil package, pre-lubed. The catheter has a raised plastic rib on the funnel to mark the orientation of the coude tip. The raised rib is not a different color but you can feel it with your fingers when using it.

There is one variety of the Cure catheter that has a line all the way along the catheter, for orientation. The Coloplast Speedicath does not have a lengthwise line, just the raised rib on the funnel.

Thomas

• Posted

The Speedicath Flex Coude is an odd ball. It has no orientation at the tip like most coudes, just smaller. It is also very soft, so very good for starting out.

• Posted

Thomas,

Good explanations you gave Emmanuelle!

However, bleeding is common when first trying to use a catheter ? This statement is true if you use Coloplast Speedicath catheters, like most of us following this forum were conditioned to use, and to say. They are too stiff. However, most catheters out there are softer and more forgiving, I have been trying out, that it would be very difficult to bleed, even if one tries. Lol, now I find catherization so simple, unlike all the confusing instructions I had from this forum that didn't work for me.

• Posted

Thanks. I'll check for the raised rib if I need to use it on vacation or just open one up when I get back.

• Posted

Thanks, Hank. Good to know I'm using a fairly soft catheter as I have no experience with any others. I've used it twice. Both times I had twinges of pain while inserting it in the straight part of the urethra (before the prostate), but surprisingly no issues when negotiating the curve into the prostate urethra and then to the bladder. First time, I had a few drops of blood when removing it. Second time, which was about a month later, no blood.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.