Horrible feeling in throat

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia about 8 years ago. I've been on 20-40mg omeprazole since with no problems.  Since Christmas last year I've been experiencing a lump like feeling in my throat when I swallow.  It's perfectly fine when I eat or drink. I swallow so much now my mouth and throat feel dry most of the time.  Some time I can go 3-4 days and it's gone and I feel fantastic and so happy it's gone but then it just comes back. I dont think I'm eating anything differently. It's making my life a misery. I'm feeling depressed. It's making me tired and irritable and I can't be bothered to do all the things I enjoyed before. On the days it disappears I go crazy doing housework and going out for a drive as the days it comes back I don't want to do anything.  It's fine when I'm asleep and for about an hour in the morning before it kicks in again. Been to my gp 3 times. He gave me anti inflammatorys, Amitriptyline and sent me for a chest X-ray which was fine. 

I'm at my wits end. Could it be the omeprazole? If I don't take them though I get terrible burning in my tummy. Any medication suggestions?Please please any advice would be so happily accepted 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pami

I cannot tell you if the omeprizol is causing the lump, over the past year since my problem started I have read several places of others experiencing the same sensation. So far it has not been one of my many symptoms.

My doctor prescribed it to me, it made me feel so miserable that I took myself off of it. I won't lie, not taking the PPI's is no walk in the park, I have to rely on diet, and other methods to get the acid under control, and sometimes it is better than others.

I have read of others taking PPI's over long periods, but I am surprised to hear of a doctor recommending them for that long of a period.

I do not know if they will work for you but I have been told by some of success with Zantac which you do not need a prescription for. One nurse who attended me for my colonoscopy said her research led her away from PPI's because of the concern over kidney problems with the long term use of them, but she read that Zantac was not as extreme and she had been using them for several years with some success.

None of this is with my experience, but what I have heard second hand.

• Posted

Hi Pami

I just reread, and found where you said that yours is related to Hiatal Hernia, I am sorry I did not notice that on my earlier reply. I do not know how a hernia is in comparison to just GERD, or reflux in other situations which is what I am dealing with.

I apologize, you may look into the Zantac. Maybe it won't be as hard on your system.

Michael

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Michael. It's weird you saying this. I've had dodgy kidney blood test results lately. One of them not working as good as it should. Have to have a blood test every year. Also it's amazing you've suggested Zantac. My husbands a doctor (a consultant not a gp) but he's suggested this too. I've been on omeprazole for so long. I don't even get a review just a repeat prescription every month. I know they're not good for bones. I slipped on something in my house and broke my ankle in 3 places. At the hospital they said it was the worse break possible for the ankle. I've got lots of screws and plates in it and it still really hurts and I have a limp after 4 years. They couldn't believe how easy it broke and so severely.  I've wanted to stop the omeprazole for some time.  I've tried to go without it today but my tummy is killing me now - burning.   I'm going to buy some Zantac tomorrow. I'm getting desperate and so miserable. Thank you so much for replying.  

• Posted

Hi Pami

I did not want to say too much, I know when someone is going through the anxiety of this as I have been it is hard to know how much to say. 

But, now that you are bringing it up. I have been dealing with these problems, and in and out of doctors for over a year with many tests. As I became aware that I am dealing with reflux at least as part of my health issues, it caused me to do a great deal of research into PPI's. The one thing that is common in all of the research I have done is a consensus on the problems to kidney.

I am not saying doctors are going to tell you this, but if I remember correctly even the white paper that comes with the drugs do say that it can be a long term side effect.

I do not know truthfully about the zantac because I did not look into it, only what others have told me.

I have also heard, and had my own experience with PPI's that after taking them for a time, if you do not come off of them slowly that the rebound reflux can get bad.

You may want even ask your doctor about a lower dosage, or perhaps think about maybe even taking half dosages and tapering down slowly rather than just stopping cold turkey. 

I have read several places where others have done it this way, even the medical industry on many web pages suggest not trying to quit the PPI's cold turkey but to reduce them and taper them over a period of time to give your body a time to adjust.

Something to think about, I am sorry you are dealing with this. hope you find the solution.

One last thing, don't know if you have looked into them but you may want to check out deep breathing exercises, and meditation. Both help me to reduce my stress, anxiety, and have helped me feel a lot better when I am really hurting or down.

• Posted

I have started using lansoprazole and have got the same symptoms and never had them before using this medicine.
    • Posted

Sorry wrong thred 
  • Posted

I have started using lansoprazole and have got the same symptoms and never had them before using this medicine.
  • Posted

Hi pami

Are you taking the omeprazole every day? I'm sure you know after 8 years with reflux that globus feeling in throat is one of the most common symptoms, it's nothing to worry about generally, I have reflux two years and have that feeling every day, when had you an endoscopy last, maybe you need to change your medication for awhile

• Posted

You probably need to have camera put down your throat to see what's going on I'm at this moment going through hell with a very sore throat and gullet and I'm having camera down next week I'm on PPI medication to have been for about five years but it doesn't seem to be controlling the heartburn anymore I would ho back to your doctor and ask 

• Posted

Have you had endoscopy?  I had the feeling of a lump but it turned out to be swollen nodes which dissapeared on their own, it was only when I ate and not all the time.
  • Posted

Hi Pam,

I had oesophagitis 4 years ago and my symptoms at the time were of a feeling like I’d swallowed a golf ball along with severe heartburn. I had numerous tests including a CT scan because I was so convinced I had cancer of the oesophagus. Eventually a really lovely ENT Consultant had a thorough look in my throat and diagnosed “globus” which instantly put my mind at rest. I was on Omeprazole but after about six months I just stopped taking them and returned to normal. 

However 6-7 weeks ago my heartburn has returned along with severe back pain and a pulsating sensation down my sternum. Ive been on Omeprazole 20 msg twice a day and had an endoscopy on Wednesday which revealed only a helicobacter pylori infection. However because my problems started because of taking loads of antibiotics and Ibuprofen for a tooth abscesses my Doctor can’t give me more antibiotics just now. 

I had to stop taking the Omeprazole prior to the endoscopy and was OK so he has told me to stay off everything and to wait and see!! 

I’m being super careful about what I’m eating and drinking and I’m not eating any dairy or anything acidic or fatty. Just lean chicken and salads really! 

Hope you have your problems investigated thoroughly but I have read that oesophagitis can feel like you’ve swallowed a golf ball which is what you’ve described. I think the PPI’s can lull us into a false sense of security and if you can be strict with your diet and you’re OK.........it would be better than any medicine, but I hope you’re Doctor will support you through this.

Good luck and take care

Jane 

• Posted

Hi Jane

Like you I'm so scared now that my oesophagus is in trouble, I have daily horrendous chest pain with burning between my ribs, it's so worrying, I had endoscopy done in, 2016 and was OK but now my doctor doesn't seem to want to do one, I go to different doctors and once they find out I've had one in 2016 they don't want to do one, I can't understand as this pain is unbearable, I think it must be what heart attack feels like, wish someone could help

• Posted

Hi Kate,

Are you on Omeprazole? 

If you’re having an acute phase of oesophagitis or gastritis you probably need to go on a PPI for at least 6 weeks to help heal whatever’s going on inside your digestive tract. 

I found by taking Omeprazole 20mgs twice a day and being very careful with my diet all of my heartburn , chest pain and the pain in between my shoulder blades has gradually subsided. 

I hope you can achieve the same success because believe me I was absolutely terrified so I know exactly what you mean. Take care and I really hope you get better soon.

Jane 

• Posted

Hi Jane

Thanks so much for your reply

Yes, I'm on omeprazole 20mg twice a day, and terrified of what they are doing to my organs, my doctor changed my prescription last week to pantaloc to see if it might help, are you off all ppi now and back to normal?

• Posted

Hi again Kate,

At the moment I’m not taking any medicine at all but I’m afraid to eat anything, acidic, fatty, or sugary. 

Hopefully in time I’ll re introduce these back in my diet but in moderation. 

I did get a bit of back pain but if I drink some hot water and have a good burp, the back pain subsides! 

Hope this helps and good luck. 

Jane 

• Posted

Hi Jane,

Just being able to compare notes is a great help, I know what you mean about trying to avoid fatty, acid foods etc, I think if I don't get an endoscopy soon I'll go insane with worry, I feel like I have a cement block pressing down on my chest all the time, I wish you well too, hopefully you will be able to stay off the meds

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.