Horrible feeling in throat

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia about 8 years ago. I've been on 20-40mg omeprazole since with no problems.  Since Christmas last year I've been experiencing a lump like feeling in my throat when I swallow.  It's perfectly fine when I eat or drink. I swallow so much now my mouth and throat feel dry most of the time.  Some time I can go 3-4 days and it's gone and I feel fantastic and so happy it's gone but then it just comes back. I dont think I'm eating anything differently. It's making my life a misery. I'm feeling depressed. It's making me tired and irritable and I can't be bothered to do all the things I enjoyed before. On the days it disappears I go crazy doing housework and going out for a drive as the days it comes back I don't want to do anything.  It's fine when I'm asleep and for about an hour in the morning before it kicks in again. Been to my gp 3 times. He gave me anti inflammatorys, Amitriptyline and sent me for a chest X-ray which was fine. 

I'm at my wits end. Could it be the omeprazole? If I don't take them though I get terrible burning in my tummy. Any medication suggestions?Please please any advice would be so happily accepted 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi yes I know exactly how you feel I would try the nexium anti acid. I was on Omeprazole for many years developed the hiatal hernia and ended up with surgery cause mine was bad and then I was put back on the med about a yr ago and was still having issues went back to my gi doctor and he did another scoop and found that this med wasnt working have erosive gastritis now so he switched me to nexium and my symptoms have gotten better but with this erosive gastritis I'll never be cured but it can be maintained.

• Posted

Hi Bonnie

When you say you had surgery for hernia, was it very painful after, were you able to eat normally?

• Posted

The surgery I had I don't recommend it's called the lap Nissan don't do this cause I now have so many other problems that I didn't have before I can't eat normally I have to take two multi vitamin a day in vitamin d definite and anemic cause I can't digest anything soon I have to have test down on my pancreas cause now I'm having issues with this.

• Posted

So sorry to hear that Bonnie, my doctor says stay a million miles away from Nissan, she says its worse than open heart surgery, hope you find medicine soon to help you
  • Posted

Thank you all for your very helpful answers.  I'm sure the Omeprazole is causing all my problems.  If I stop taking it though I'm in agony.    I'm going to try Zantac.  Trying to work out how long I've been on omeprazole   I thought about 8 years but it's probably more like 12. Time just goes by so quick.  My gp has never reviewed me or said about side effects.  I feel so depressed about it all. The lump in the throat is as bad as having terrible acid 

• Posted

It could be the Omeprazole. I kept having the 'dreaded' lump sensation in my throat while taking it for Acid Reflux and it made my life so completely miserable that I finally stopped taking it.

I wasn't positive it was the medication causing the lump sensation but after 6 months of stopping it I'm not getting it anymore. Of course I still have acid reflux symptoms , but just not the lump one.

The lump would make me extremely nauseous and there was nothing I could do but wait until it passed. This would be an every day occurrence too, not just once in a while. I had gone to the ER several times with it and all they could do was give me Gravol which actually did help.

I understand what you mean though. If you don't take the Omeprazole you get the tummy burning. Same here..but I couldn't handle the lump sensation anymore at any cost. All I can suggest is that maybe when you get the feeling, to take a Gravol tablet. It seemed to make the lump disappear and the nausea with it.

• Posted

Hey Carole. Thanks for the helpful reply. Excuse my ignorance but I've never heard of Gravol.   Are you in the U.K.?  You are right I think the lump sensation is worse than the acid tummy. It's really getting me down.  Had an ultra sound scan on Monday on neck and it was clear which was a relief. Thanks again 

• Posted

Hey Pami

You're welcome. No Im not in the UK. Im in the U.S. I never thought about there not being Gravol there but there are meds you can get called antiemetics and I was taking them at one time too. They're just anti nausea pills . I found that when I would take one of those or a Gravol ..the lump sensation would disappear. Over here Gravol you can buy without a prescription so a bit more conveniant. Best of luck to you. We all need luck when putting up with this stuff.

• Posted

Thanks Carole.  I'm sure there'll be some sort of equivalent here it'll just be a case of doing some detective work.  I don't really feel nauseous with mine but the lump in the throat is sending me bonkers. I'm so happy you got yours sorted.  It can make your life a misery can't it? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.