Horrible head pressure/ swaying feeling!!

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hi! First time posting on this so I'm hoping someone can relate/ offer any advice? 

I was was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 3 weeks ago after symptoms of extreme tiredness/ lack of energy, feeling low and this horrible head pressure/ tension on and off for weeks! 

I have been taking 50mg of Levothyroxine for 3 weeks once in the morning. I understand it can take a few weeks for symptoms to start to improve.. I was feeling a bit more like myself last week but feel like I've been bumped back down again this week and don't understand?! I'm an early years teacher and have been back at work for 2 weeks after 2 weeks off! So not ideal feeling like this when I need to be super energetic with 3, 4 and 5 year olds! 

The one thing that is really getting me down at the moment is this horrible pressure feeling (not a pain or headache) in my head!! It almost feels like I'm in a foggy bubble/ or walking on sponge!! From morning until I put my head down at night!! Sometimes I get myself into a panic with it and convince myself I'm going to faint!! 

Has anyone experienced this with hypothyroidism before?? Thanks in advance! 

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds familiar, but in my case I rationalized the side effects  as sinus issues related to probable changes in allergies. I was on Levo for a year when my BP was found to be lower side High BP and I was placed on 2 drugs that complicated the picture cause they have many of the same side effects LEVO . It would be 3 3/4 years before I would put it all together. Some of the side effects of Levo are blurred/ double vision, severe headache, lightheadedness as   well as a bunch others. Having symptoms like you are having can make you feel very unsure of your self  and  out of balance. Sort of like vertigo. You start over time walking guarded like an old lady with an unsteady gait. I kept making excuses instead of recognizing the changes in how I moved and felt, but being that I had 3 drugs working against me. I feel lucky I am where I am today. I do believe my balance has been affected, muscle strength and endurance, but I am hoping it will fade as work my muscle and gain better and full use. I answered your inquiry, not because I have any real answers, but when you don't feel yourself and you don't move as you expect to and always have it is scary and all too often doctors don't acknowledge. If you would like I will send you a list of all the side effects I have run across of course I didn't have them all. There are many good people who answer this thread and have their own unique experiences.

• Posted

Rocking/ swaying can be Mal de Dembaqument Syndrome ( Mdds in short ) yes it's every waking hour . Time it's not there is when driving . There is a site on FB for Mdds lots have it as I do myself ,but you need to get a meds check that maybe it's cause . Don't magne the worst ,we all jump that way understandable when it's you . I have chronic Sinisitis and tinnitus which I think holds part of my key . 

• Posted

i have exactly the same feeling. i am also on 50mg levothyroxine. one minute i'm fine and the next I am in total panic mode. i'm studying my last year on my psychology degree and some days i gave to drag myself to uni. when I am there I struggle even listening to what the tutor might be saying.

For my dissertation I decided to investigate hypothyroidism and the link between depression and anxiety just so i could start to better understand more about hypothyroidism. Hopefully might help me to deal with it better in the future.

• Posted

Hi

Don’t panic! Yes this is a symptom of thyroid issues. When I start to feel like that, I know my dosage needs adjusting. 

What you are experiencing sounds like brain fog, a common symptom of under active thyroid. 

It can take weeks/ months for your symptoms to improve unfortunately.

Your body is currently adjusting to the medication. I felt like something was sucking the life out of me when I first started levo. 

And the brain fog, poor concentration / memory were immense! Mornings were horrible so I started taking levo at night and the brain fog improved.

Do you know to take levo 1 hour before food in the mornings? Not with caffeine or any other supplements? If taking at night time, take 3-4 hours after your last food intake.

I don’t know your life style but eating as clean a diet as possible helps , mild regular exercise, basically looking after yourself to support the medication .

Also do you know your test results / thyroid levels? Did they do bloods on things like your iron / vitamins levels, b12, vitd? If not ask them to test? 

Will you be having thyroid bloods again in 6 weeks?

Try not to worry, hopefully things will improve soon for you. It’s just about finding the right dosage for you.

I use to work in the early years too so I know how difficult it is when you are feeling unwell and working with the little people. 

Jen

• Posted

Thank you for you reply! It's nice to know someone else has experienced the same feeling! 

At at the moment I have been taking the Levo in the morning 30 mins before breakfast. Mornings are a rush before work so maybe I'm not allowing myself enough time? 

I have read a few comments on here about taking Levo at night? Would I need to ask my doctor first or did you just change the time yourself? 

I live a healthy lifestyle, good diet and was going to regular gym classes 2-3 times a week. But the past 5 weeks I haven't been able to face the gym with the way I've been feeling! 

Other blood results have come back ok re: iron etc. Back to see doctor at end of 6 week period for blood tests

Do you take any natural supplements/ vitamins that help alongside at all? 

Thanks again! 

• Posted

Hi

No you don’t need to speak to the doc about taking it at night.  Research shows that your body absorbs a higher percentage of the levo  during the night and because your stomach/ lower intestines is empty, there is no interference from food.

You’ve only been taking it a short while so I would give it a bit longer for your body to adjust and see how everything settles.

I don’t take any supplements, my levels are fine. I also wouldn’t if I was you if your levels are good too. You could overload your body when not needed. I have slightly low calcium so have just included more in my diet. I have cut things out I. My cut things out in my diet , things that shouldn’t be eaten if you have hypothyroidism.

I have currently have gut issues / acid reflux ( your digestive system can become sluggish with hypo) so have started taking apple cider vinegar. I have felt the benefits with this and have slightly more energy. 

My tsh level has suddenly recently jumped from 3.8 to 18.0! So I’ve had an increase in levo. I think it’s stress that has done it

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, thank you for sharing your experience.  I am in the same boat as Emma and wondering if your TSH normalized before your symptoms did?  My TSH is now looking good (1.3) as are other labs but the wooziness is continuing, albeit not as heinous as it was in the beginning.

Did it take a long time for you to feel better, like months?  Looking for hope!

Thank you,

Rose

• Posted

Hi 

Sorry it has taken So long to reply. To be honest I cannot remember what happened first.

But unfortunately it took me 18 months before I felt well and ‘normal’. A long horrendous journey for me.

How long have you been on levo? 

• Posted

Thank you for the response.  I have been on levo since April but only recently worked up to a decent dose.  I have been on 88 mcgs for about two weeks now.

• Posted

Hi Emma, what you’re experiencing is pretty typical. It can take a while and repeated blood tests to get the right level of medication, so make sure you get tested at least every three months and push your physician to adjust your medication as necessary. If things don’t improve, get a referral to an endocrinologist. As well, getting your blood test results and posting them here will help people give you good advice.
  • Posted

Hi. First I’m really sorry to hear you are experiencing this and trying to work - I know exactly how tough that is, your symptoms are so familiar to me. So I hope it feels encouraging that you are not alone. But I’m afraid I haven’t got to the bottom of why im are having them. It could be the levothyroxine you are taking. The dose may not be quite right. It does take a little while to settle and if you now have just a bit too much that can really make you feel dreadful - anxious, unable to concentrate and exhausted - can I ask if you know the reason for your hypothyroid? Is there an inserlying condition ? I have Graves’ disease which initially made me hyperactive thyroid. Then after radio iodine treatment my thyroid was distroyed and I now am under active. But I still have Graves’ disease. So I get symptoms from both. I think it would be useful for you to know why you are hypo. I now go to see a Kinesiologist who prescribed homeopathic supports to the medicine I have to take. I have to say I was hugely sceptical but every time I go and have treatment, I am much much better. I take things to support brain function, and liver function. Finally my last insight, I’ve had my illness for 10 years and it’s been really tough because it has alternated between me being well and then suddenly bang imback in a dreadful state. Not able to think, Bain likes it’s been dropped to the bottom of a deed sea, Anyway what I e come to realise is I need to really look after myself, not take on too much, and have plenty of rest. A physio told me when you have an autoimmune condition it’s easy to get into a boom-bust cycle.   Doing too much when you feel well because your so pleased to be feeling better but then over exhausting yourself and coming crashing down. 

I hope this is helpful and I wish you all the best in finding solutions that work for you. 

• Posted

Hi thanks for the advice! 

I was was told there was no underlying reason...just 'something that can happen'.. I have had low iron levels in the past though. 

Do you take any natural supplements or vitamins along side the Levo that have helped at all? Also do you take the Levo morning or night? 

• Posted

You can definitely take your medication last thing at night and you don’t need doctor’s approval. Taking it at the same time each day is what matters.
  • Posted

Emma I have Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism.  My chief complaint is the head sensation or wooziness that I have from morning until night.  It's like having a hangover! Once in a while I will get an afternoon where I think "OMG this is what I felt like before!" but the wooziness comes back the next day unfortunately.  

I am working my way up on levothyroxine, Tirosint to 75 mcgs to be exact, and as of last week my labs are looking pretty decent.  I am really hoping that it will just take a bit longer to see real results, and that the head issues will subside. Your dose of 50 mcgs is probably still a bit low so don't lose hope yet.

If you're like me.... I get very nervous when I read about "brain fog" as all I can find is that it is like a memory problem, not a physical feeling per se.  Then I read posts like yours and Dave's and I feel so much better knowing I'm not alone.  Also when I read about "fatigue" people say they are bone tired and this head sensation isn't really like tiredness - although it does make me want to lay down and not face the world!  UGH!

I feel like the bottom line is that we need to have ALL of the patience that we can muster with something like hypothyroidism.  It simply takes a long time for the medication to get into each and every cell and make us feel normal again!  And everyone's symptoms are so different, so try as hard as you can not to compare yourself to anyone else.  

By the way I have had three doctors (ENT, MD and OB/gyn) tell me that this feeling can in fact be from hypothyroidism so that should help you to feel better too!

• Posted

OMG, I have had the same head sensation wooziness for over 2 1/2 years. This all started in one day and I have never been the same since even though the Levo works and keeps my TSH around 2.5. The head sensations always remind me of my dilemma. Mine also go away for a couple of hours or even a day but eventually comes back. I stopped drinking alcohol but still feel like I am drunk most days. I think I am able to ignore it for the most part but some days it gives me anxiety. Good luck to you. I have seen many doctors at Cleveland Clinic and not one has said my symptom is familiar. So it is comforting in some weird way that others have this to and try not to feel bad for myself when I am in the same boat as many other people.

• Posted

Did you ever get this sorted out? I feel like I'm in a state of drunkenness when I'm laying down mostly. My eyes will actually play up a bit too and I feel like there's a pressure between my eyes right on the brow above my nose. Also finding it extremely hard to concentrate but the sensation changes when I move my head or adjust my neck. This started up about 3 weeks ago maybe? I thought I had injured my neck somehow, and it has improved to some degree but I'm wondering if it's a rise in cortisol levels or thyroid antibodies since I've been away from my gym for 3 months now. I haven't had my bloods checked as I've been on the same dosage for my hashis thyroiditis for the past 10 years or so. Just a very weird series of events.

• Posted

Dealing with these same symptoms! horrible head pressure in forehead and eyes, exhausted no matter how much I sleep, tight feeling in my throat, just all over miserable and just want to cry most days. going on 4 months of this. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and hoshimotos and was put on 25 mcg of levo. doesn't seem to be helping symptoms even though labs are coming back normal. anxiety and depression have been at an all time high. I just want to feel "normal" I also get this weird sensation in my head that feels like zaps or shocks. not painful but scares the crap out of me. my doctor is increasing levo to 50 mcg hoping it helps because I am over this!! makes me feel better to see others struggling with the same issues though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.