Horrible head pressure/ swaying feeling!!

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hi! First time posting on this so I'm hoping someone can relate/ offer any advice? 

I was was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 3 weeks ago after symptoms of extreme tiredness/ lack of energy, feeling low and this horrible head pressure/ tension on and off for weeks! 

I have been taking 50mg of Levothyroxine for 3 weeks once in the morning. I understand it can take a few weeks for symptoms to start to improve.. I was feeling a bit more like myself last week but feel like I've been bumped back down again this week and don't understand?! I'm an early years teacher and have been back at work for 2 weeks after 2 weeks off! So not ideal feeling like this when I need to be super energetic with 3, 4 and 5 year olds! 

The one thing that is really getting me down at the moment is this horrible pressure feeling (not a pain or headache) in my head!! It almost feels like I'm in a foggy bubble/ or walking on sponge!! From morning until I put my head down at night!! Sometimes I get myself into a panic with it and convince myself I'm going to faint!! 

Has anyone experienced this with hypothyroidism before?? Thanks in advance! 

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes i was also diagnosed about 4 weeks ago and feel so ill. Still on 50 mg but it’s not making much difference. Terrible head and blurred vision. Tired and very very depressed. Also weight has piled on. Hands badly swollen. Hair falling out and all nails broken. Ready for the hills. Does anyone know if following a gluten free diet would help me at all. I’m taking selenium supplements - just want to feel a bit normal.
    • Posted

Mary,

gluten free can help. But don’t expect to see quick results. As well, you may need a higher dose before things improve, so keep getting tested and share your results here for insightful advice.

• Posted

Hi Mary. Thanks for your reply and sorry to hear you're feeling just as rotten.

Do you mind me asking how your head has been feeling? As it's this symptom that's really getting me down at the moment. Have your doctors suggested anything for it? Or is it just part of getting used to the tablets? 

• Posted

I had to go to doctor on an emergency appointment yesterday as I felt so bad I was feeling so down. Head and eyes really bad. Had been using optrex. Was told to go get my eyes tested. Then asked did I want to stop tablet. More confused than ever. Going to wait till January and if I’m no better I’m going to a private consultant as I don’t think GPS know enough about how bad you feel with this problem. I have had back surgery and would go through it again rather than deal with how I’m feeling at the min. Cried all day yesterday.
  • Posted

Emma, if possible, given how you’re feeling you should ask to get tested again. What was your last set of results, and when?
    • Posted

Dave, Emma has only been on levo for 6 weeks and is due bloods / tests results now
    • Posted

My TSH levels have come up into normal range 2.36.. So my low does she seems to be working at the moment? 

Doctor couldn't find reason for this horrible head other than she may think it's down to anxiety/ tension after all this worrying and my body getting used to the tablet? 

• Posted

She could be right. When I was first diagnosed I developed health anxiety which took a grip on me. I didn’t realise at the time but looking back it made me very ill. Constant headaches, chronic pain. I wasn’t sleeping due to worry. Then one day I thought I’ve got to get a grip and sort myself out. Once I did I began to relax more and the chronic pain disappeared, the headaches stopped. Then I started to sleep better which helped loads . 
    • Posted

I myself, had the same experience with anxiety before being put on levo.  The hypothyroidism made my anxiety 100 times worse.  I too, would get migraines, and my whole body felt sore.  My muscles would just be so tight all the time and my mind would not turn off.  Anxiety can literally make your mind and body sick.  It was definitely a terrible time in my life.
    • Posted

I too Jennifer done the same.. I spent so much time worrying about my symptoms that I felt ten times worse.. so now I tell myself I don't have nothing wrong with me (and started taken coconut oil ) I feel a 100% although i do keep getting a stuffed up nose(is this a symptom?)

• Posted

Yep, stress caused me so much chronic pain and tension. And it put my hormones out of whack even more. 

I also take coconut oil and apple cider vinegar.

Sinus infections are linked to thyroid issues. I suffer from them. Having a flair up at the moment

• Posted

How can you stop these sinus flair ups? Do you feel better since taking coconut oil? Ive also started taken apple cider vinegar in tablet form x
  • Posted

I also have this horrible feeling like I’m gonna pass out, it’s like I don’t have a good grip when standing. Almost like I’m wobbling around all day... I don’t have a thyroid I had a total thyroidecyomy 10 months ago and I am on 112 mcgs of Levothyroxine. It’s been lowered two times cause it also gave me palpitations. I can’t see myself being on this medicine too much longer I feel horrible every single day. The head/ear pressure  is driving me crazy.  What’s up with this drug ? It’s the only medicine I take so I know for a fact that’s it’s causing all my symptoms. Dizziness, wobbling feeling, headaches, fog mind, lack of coordination, nausea, palpable every now and then. Horrible horrible anxiety, panic attacks. I never felt so sick in my life. 
    • Posted

Rita it is tough to know sometimes what is causing those symptoms, because while they could be from the medication they could also be from hypothyroidism, which causes very similar symptoms.  What were your latest lab results?
    • Posted

Omg Im sitting here crying my eyes out because I am soooooo majorly depressed. I found out with the last 2 yrs i have an underactive thyroid. My dr put me on levo 25mcg at first waited 3 months did nothing much. Went back for lab work Dr put me on 50mcg and I was finally feeling better. However Shortly after the new year I tried a weight less medicine(phentermine) that i was only on for 3 days before I had to stop because my heart was fluttering and my blood pressure was easily 250/114. It also caused this feeling you ladies are talking about with the head. Foggy, blurred vision, light headed, face pressure etc. I have been on different blood pressure meds because my dr couldnt get it regulated. It was causing low potassion, It was causing it to drop to low cause irregular vaginal periods etc. THESE LAST ALMOST 3 MONTHS HAVE BEEN COMPLETE HELL. I had to quit my job, because of the symptoms my high bp had caused as well of major panic and severe depression. I finally got a referal for an endocrinologist. I can not get seen until August. I feel like I will go crazy until then and I dont know what else to do. I am a 36 year old mom of 3 kids and am scared Im going to die EVERYDAY it is so horrible and scary. Last labs my doctor did my thyroid level was 3.7 I know its leaning more to needing a med adjustment soon but my doctor tried 75 mcg and I think it might have been too much as I had like this burning feeling in my throat and my heart was racing. I feel completely hopeless.
    • Posted

You might want to ask your doc for a mild sedative to help with the anxiety and depression. May help with the high blood pressure as well, and get you through to August.
    • Posted

Just a thought if you don't get enough selenium your T4 won't be converting to T3. Also Levothyroxine will elevate your blood Pressure. Confirmed on Mayo Clinic site

• Posted

My Kidz, I know exactly how you feel.  Try to relax, it can and will get better.  I am finally getting my thyroid problem sorted out 2 years post diagnosis and I feel WAAAAY better. 

A TSH of 3.7 is most likely still too high for you.  Adjusting to the medication increases always threw me for a loop for a week or two, I experienced some minor palpitations and brutal migraine headaches afterwards.  But that would subside and I would notice that a symptom or two that was related to my hypothyroidism would also disappear.  I am now on 88 mcgs of Tirosint and doing mostly well. 

As Dave suggested you may need an anti-anxiety medication during the interim.  I found that Ativan worked well for me, I only had to take a small amount and I felt better almost immediately after taking it.  

You have to do what you need to do to regain your health, physically and mentally.  With time you can, but the road can seem long.  You will get there.

• Posted

Rita,

I hope things have gotten better for you. I was extremely sick at first also and wondered how I could even get through another day. But very slowly things improved. I changed my diet, yoga, got on effexor for anxiety and depression and garden. I maintain friendships and work 2 teaching jobs. Its a struggle every day because I do not know how I will feel from day to day. Dont give up there are others going through this also and it helps to learn what they do to help ease symptoms or get through each day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.