Horrible head pressure/ swaying feeling!!

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hi! First time posting on this so I'm hoping someone can relate/ offer any advice? 

I was was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 3 weeks ago after symptoms of extreme tiredness/ lack of energy, feeling low and this horrible head pressure/ tension on and off for weeks! 

I have been taking 50mg of Levothyroxine for 3 weeks once in the morning. I understand it can take a few weeks for symptoms to start to improve.. I was feeling a bit more like myself last week but feel like I've been bumped back down again this week and don't understand?! I'm an early years teacher and have been back at work for 2 weeks after 2 weeks off! So not ideal feeling like this when I need to be super energetic with 3, 4 and 5 year olds! 

The one thing that is really getting me down at the moment is this horrible pressure feeling (not a pain or headache) in my head!! It almost feels like I'm in a foggy bubble/ or walking on sponge!! From morning until I put my head down at night!! Sometimes I get myself into a panic with it and convince myself I'm going to faint!! 

Has anyone experienced this with hypothyroidism before?? Thanks in advance! 

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Emma I used to have that feeling and can only describe it as vertigo. So I started taking it last thing at night. It may help.
    • Posted

Hi mo_ Monet

Do you not have to take levothyroxine on an empty stomach..I read that somewhere my doctor never explained anything to me as she was busy and had to be told by a train doctor.

• Posted

Hi Emma. Gosh you sound how I felt 2 weeks ago. Was diagnosed about 9 months ago when I started to feel not like me and would start crying over nothing and didn't want to get out of bed. Was put on 25mg levo.. previous to that I was working out 40mins a day but as soon as I started to feel yuk I never had the energy or motivation.. felt like I was walking through quick sand.. every day I'd getup and say to myself I'm gonna do a workout today I would very quickly lose interest.. so 2 weeks I was doing some research I found some people where taken coconut oil.. so I thought well for the sake of a couple of quid I'll give it a go ?? well the verdict is I no longer feel like I'm wearing concrete boots my foggy head has cleared also.. I feel 80% better and started working out again with more motivation and last week I started taking vitamin c (the ones you put in water) and my energy levels have doubled.. ie afternoons when I just wanted to sit down because my energy levels just zapped I actually keep going and feel SO much better.. perhaps you could try that.. hope you feel better soon ?? x

• Posted

Beverly , coconut oils sounds interesting, but how much? How much do you take?  Coconut oil is reported to be goood to prevent diabetes
    • Posted

Hi cathy. I have a dessert spoon a day.. they recommend extra virgin coconut oil which i get from tesco at £3 for 300ml.. asda do one slightly cheaper but rarely have any in my store.. ive noticed iceland have also started doing it at a good price but the health shops are very expensive. . Anyway i either put mune in my porridge in the morning (its a solid oil so melts quickly in hot stuff) or i have it in a smoothie. . Jyst plonk a spoonful un with half a banana and a few strawberries and almond milk and away you go.. some people use it in frying but i haven't tried that yet.. xx

• Posted

Beverly , I like it for sauteing, but besides that I have heard it is good for maintaining memory and also  for diabetes.. Thank you
    • Posted

Hi Beverly... how long did it take till you felt well with the coconut oil? I tried It before but found every time I had it I had a really bad sore throat 😏werid!

Which brand do you take please??

Thank you

• Posted

I have the same issue. Literally can't deal with it anymore. Needing an adjustment to my meds very badly. Been on a roller coaster for 4 years. 😩

What does coconut oil do?

• Posted

I have been feeling like this for over a year now. Main thing being the head squeezing and eyes feel like it's pulling.. but the werid thing is it used to get better for months then bam back to the same feeling.. anyone know why that is? Makes me bed ridden for days until i feel a bit berter again.I'm taking 75mcg of Levo..

• Posted

Maya,

I notice my diet affects how I feel and when I have dairy my head sensations and pressure get a lot worse.

• Posted

Just might possibly be sinus pressure . I had a feeling in the left side of head (distinct feeling....and it went away and moved (slighter feeling), over my forehead. The day before I had the distinct feeling on the left side...feeling that the head was full, and when I woke up in the a.m., my eyes were all watery ,and I said , to my self, "oh, the weather....going to be some day for allergies and sinuses. " I have never experience the fullness in the head as I did yesterday, but it went away and I do get allergies. Keep saying I have to see a HEENT doctor, for the sinuses, and allergies. (I think the sinuses and allergies, many times work at the same time badly). So I don't think in my case it was anything serious, but something definitely worth looking into anytime one feels something in the head that is not right. I can understand your being upset over what you have said.

• Posted

I get bubble head..its what I call it. The back of my head feels like it's bigger then normal. When this happens I get aggravated and testy.. I am up to 125 on meds...so I am becoming think something is wrong. I often get inflamed nodes...which can cause the tiredness and weakness.

• Posted

hi

i have hypo also i was diagnosed 2015 and trust me it was a strong battle. in and out and back and forth to hospital for years. i finally found a Endo that treated me but i do experience head pressure from time to time but i dnt know if its related to high blood pressure, sinus, etc. Every since i was diagnose with thyroid i had to experience HBP Weight gain hair loss etc. i never had issues with hbp bt i guess i do now. i never known the thyroid controlled so many of your body functions so mayb u want to get checked for Hbp because sometimes people have it and dont know they do also my dr recommended a MRI just to be ons safe side. i hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi,

I am new here to this forum. I have been suffering for the past 4 years off and on with some weird head pressure, heaviness, feeling like my head is gonna fall off its axis like I have to hold it up most days. I have weird feelings of a cold sensation that that comes over my head that last several seconds a few times a day. I also notice an feeling of disconnect and sometime no painful shocking sensations as well. I know from the minute I wake up how Im gonna feel for the day. Its from the minute i wake til the minute i go to bed. I sleep terrible waking up 2-4 times a night for the past 2 years. Dont remember the last time I actually had a full night sleep. Most days I feel like my Im gonna have a stroke or a seizure( which I know Im not) but that is how my head feels. I have tried Acupuncture, Massage, Chiropractic, CBD, with no relief. I seen my PCP for most of this and she just kept trying to push me with antidepressants, and anti seizure medication telling me that i have non painful migraines. I have not taken any of those meds.. I have had 2 CT scan of my head in the past 4 years both normal. So I decided to see a Naturopath. I described everything that was going on and she started with a panel of labs. All my labs came back normal with the exception of my TPO. Normal range for that is ❤️5 and mine was 274. Im being referred to an endocrinologist and hope to get answers but Im glad to see that there are others out here that are having the same symptoms as me or close to the same. Iam awaiting for my ANA to come back as well. Thank you for letting me share and I hope to hear from you guys soon with more stories.

Carmen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.