Horrible Nausea, Feel Pregnant

Posted , 29 users are following.

Four years since thew hot flashes started, periods are now 4-5 months in between and I ahve had a slough of crazy symptoms! I am 54, and probably have experienced the worst case of nausea yet as a PMS symptom, literally have been feeling like I could throw up for days. Not only that but smell has become intense....walked into the grocery store and the smell from the fresh seafood section nearly made me hurl. I have had to keep trash out of the house as my nose has been sensative just like I were pregnant. infact, fearing I was I had two pregnancy tests a week apart from one another and both were negative. Has anyone else experienced these type of symptoms during perimenopause? My doc tends to think it is normal.

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

AVT, this is probably due to your estrogen not being balanced with progesterone.  Just my guess.  But estrogen can fluctuate wildly when you are nearing the end.  I also had increasing lengths between periods, first every three months, then six, then one final push.  During this period, I once had to pull my car over to throw up.  I wasn't sick, but my stomach sure felt I was.  I think it was just a surge of estrogen.  

I felt the same queezy stomach when I was put on an estrogen patch, after many years without these hormones.  But reducing the dose made it stop.  

And yes, many women get very sensitive to smells during this time.  

• Posted

Yes! Yes!Yes! That is how I try to explain it to people. I feel like I'm pregnant but with no baby. It kind of feel as if I'm in the first trimester and some of the last trimester. If that makes any sense.🙄

I think with me the progesterone makes my naseau worse. I'm on the bio progest pill and I've notice the time I take it the naseau seem worse. So I started taking it every other day. It seem to help some.

Do you have an appetite?

• Posted

same here.. just sat in my chair with a sickly feeling.  Weird thing is i havent had a sense of smell since i was in my late teens...  nothing.. couldnt even smell the kids when they pooped in their nappies..haha.. but all of a sudden i can smell again and yes its making me feel sick too.. can be fine for a few days them wham random churning stomach ... also have developed gastroparesis so that makes eating a bit of a nightmare. Makes me laugh as half of the women on here are piling on weight and cant loose any. and the rest of us cant eat and are struggling to maintain a normal weight. Its all nuts rolleyes
    • Posted

Okay, that also might explain why I am struggling to eat meat, nearly makes be nausious.
    • Posted

Hello littleme1969.  I was wondering if you've had any relief from your nausea?  I started feeling sick in March, multiple tests/scans find NOTHING except "possibly menopause issues", as my blood work shows estrogen is low and my FSH is high.  I find it's so bad in the mornings and eases up a bit later in the day.  Have you tried any medications or HRT?  Hope you're feeling better.

• Posted

Hello Renee298,

Not sure if you'll see this three years after you posted, but I'm 50 and bouncing from doctor to doctor trying to get help with occasional nausea that is definitely worse in mornings! Feels so much like morning sickness but the docs are all puzzled Did you find anything that helped? Im starting B6 and Unisom that they give for actual morning sickness Im a BC survivor over 10 yrs so taking hormones is not ideal I see Naturopath in two weeks Been dealing with this for months on and off!

Thanks!

• Posted

Dear AVR1962, I have not and sorry to hear about your situation. Hope you find some relieve soon.
  • Posted

Same here, it's horrible feeling, I went back to the only thing that helped when I was actually pregnant, a plain biscuit before I get out of bed. I just sit on side of the bed and eat it in small pieces. It really does help.

• Edited

Yes!!!  I have had debilitating nausea that came on suddenly. One day I was fine, the next, I was gagging and retching and felt like I was going to vomit. It has moved in cycles. I was nauseous for about 15 days and woke up on day 16 and felt fine.  Felt really good for about 12 days and the cycle started again. It is the craziest thing ever. I have started taking B6, D3, Estrovan, and will add proestrogen cream and primrose oil into my perimenopause cocktail in the next few days. I feel like I can handle most of the peri symptoms except this terrible nausea. 
    • Posted

Hi Nolegirl

What is the b6 good for? Someone else mentioned this to me.

• Posted

I'm hoping it will help with the nausea. It is recommended for morning sickness so I went down the internet rabbit hole, and read it was also recommended for peri menopause nausea. I'm desperate so I figured I would try it. I think it is too early to tell if it works. 

• Posted

Hi,

So glad I found this forum. Felt like I was going nuts!

My period was always as regular as clockwork around the 16th of the month. About 8mths ago they changed to every 6 - 8 weeks and most recently I've missed 3 consecutive mths.

After 3mths of nothing this period started at the beginning of the month and has come on with a vengence! Ridiculously heavy, severe cramping (I think I'd prefer contractions), morning sickness, lightheaded, no appetite and then ravenous at 3am.

Around the time my periods changed so did my moods. I can only explain it (without sounding too crazy) like I'm inside my body watching this crazy woman cry or blow-up over trivial little things and once she starts I can't stop her??!! Only lasts for a couple of days but now I recognise the signs I lock myself away so nothing can trigger an explosion 😕

Had me so worried I went to my doctor who has recommended BioCeuticals Methyl-Max to kirb my erratic mood swings and nausea. Basically it's vitamin B6 and B9. Have only just started so no results to report as yet.

• Posted

Hello! I’ve just come across your post as I’m going through exactly the same at the moment, I could have described my symptoms exactly the same, did you find anything to give you relief ? I’m going to try the mirena coil to see if that helps?  Thx
  • Posted

The best way to describe perimenopause menopause it's like puberty and pregnancy the symptoms I don't remember puberty that well but I do remember my pregnancys it's crazy what hormones do when they are off wow I have hope eventually some day I can put this all behind me

• Posted

Hi I'm panicking a little. I'm 50 and never been late or missed a period. I've had heavy ones and hot flushing.

My period is two weeks late. I do feel off my food and a funny mouth. Too scared to do a test. Anybody else go through similar ?

• Posted

Hi ive not had a period since March did 2 tests both negative the last 3 days been completly nauseas just back from a gps appointment they dont do tests anymore! Told me this can be a sympton of menopause and to do anither test in a couple of weeks stomachs a bit tender Dr saud im. Ovulating and should come on in a few days we will see

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.