Horse riding after repair?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was hoping maybe there might be a fellow horse rider who can put my mind at rest.  Realistically will I get back to the normality I once had?  I have put my horse on full livery so not having to do any lifting etc to keep him but wonder if I'm being to hopeful in thinking I can get back riding regularly without risking my repairs!

thanks in advance x

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What prolapse are you or have you had repaired emma?
    • Posted

I've had anterior and posterior repair. Following hysterectomy last year I'm only 5 weeks out so know I'm a long way off riding but just worrying if it's really an option anyway as I really don't want anymore surgery after going through these two x

• Posted

You've had 2 major procedures (prolapse repairs) and what now is considered minor the hysterectomy however I don't see why you can't go horse riding again but it won't be for some time. Obviously discuss it with your consultant but I would think after 6-12 months it should be ok.

• Posted

I had already told myself 6 months minimum anyway so I should be ok x
    • Posted

He’s told me 18 months to 2 years 😳😳I had prolapsed bowel bladder and womb 

• Posted

I have a horse too Emma and am six weeks post op. I had not quite realised how long i would feel so weak and full of pain and showed my partner how to muck out etc as i knew I could not lift. One of the other kind ladies on the farm has been looking after my horse Barnaby. I think with hindsight I should have paid for full livery but round here (Harrogate) it is really expensive. My horse is retired and 26 years old so I dont ride him anymore but I did get back to riding after my hysterectomy and after adhesion repairs. However a combination of riding and lifting in my job as a carer probably didnt help and may have been a cause of my prolapse. There is a lot of lifting involved if DIY livery, mucking out, carrying bales etc. Light hacking should be manageable in about six months but no galloping about I should have thought. If like me your horse is your way of life I would just be careful and enjoy what you can. Get someone to help with all the heavy stuff. I feel so guilty having my friend doing it all at the moment. She had to deal with the farrier last week because i cant even lift up his feet to hoof pick at the moment! Good luck with everything
    • Posted

Thanks Angela I too went back to riding after hysterectomy and adhesion repairs. Had really started to enjoy having my time out on my boy. We had already discussed that I will keep him on full livery now as I won't ever risk it as like you know it's easy to start moving bales and feed etc.

I am hoping at 6 months I should be ok to ride but I think I have got to prepare myself for slower pace which will be hard as I love a good gallop and doing fun rides. I really just worry that I may cause damage to the repair x

• Posted

Hi Emma ! 

I know this was a while ago ,but hoping you have some good news?! 

I too have a horse and I'm 14 weeks post rectocele repair  .

Hoping and preying that you say you've managed to ride again!! 

My surgery was completely bad timing , I've had my boy since 18 months and had just backed  and started hacking etc when then surgery was carried out ...waited all this time to ride him and I'm back to nothing again 🤦???

• Posted

I’m the same had my boy from 8 months and ride him for the first time the day before my op front and back repair . I have a girl schooling him for me now and I watch her ride him once a week but I’m itching to get on him again I was hoping someone on here would know when we can start riding again I’m 6 weeks post op 
    • Posted

Hi Caroline ! 

I have a meeting with my consultant on Thursday so il get an unpdaye and let you know what he says re riding! 

• Posted

Oh yes please do my check up isn’t till December and that feels like ages away good luck and keep me updated please . 
    • Posted

I saw my consultant four months after my vaginal hysterectomy, sacrospinous fixation and anterior and posterior repair. She said it would be fine to start riding again. I am only a once a week rider, don't own horses so not involved in any yard work. 

I haven't booked a lesson yet, but must! 

• Posted

Oh that’s good I’ve got my 12 week check the beginning of December so hopefully by January I’ll be allowed to ride again thanks Sheila 👍

• Posted

Hi Caroline !

Good news! I’ve been cleared to ride !! 😀. My consultant said it’s time for me to go enjoy myself !! 

• Posted

That’s brilliant so how long has it been in total since your op and your ok to get back riding ? My 12 week check is beginning of Dec . 
    • Posted

My op was 3rd of June. So it’s about 4.5/5 months . My consultant said that I have to build it up slowly as il probably be a bit sore afterwards the first few times - 😀

• Posted

Oh god I’ve a long time to wait still then I’m not three months till December so I’ll probably have to wait till Feb/March 😳

• Posted

It was worth the wait !! Managed to have a little sit on board on Sunday morning !!  Only 10 minutes but I beamed for the rest of the day !! 😀😀

• Posted

Brilliant, can you remind me what surgery you had, and when?  
    • Posted

Thanks Happymoon. I'm a month ahead of you having had an anterior and posterior repair, plus a vaginal hysterectomy and sacrospinous fixation; quite a package! 

Onwards and upwards. 😳Xx

• Posted

Oh Sheila ! 

It was bad enough with the repair I had ! I hate to think about how your feeling!! 

I think if I had known the pain after I’d be in I may well have put it off for a couple of years ... BUT I’m still pleased I had it done !  (TMI bit now!) I’ve not been able to open my bowels properly for 8 years  and had the most horrendous fissure (the pain was that bad I’d nearly pass out!) to the point the consultant said it was the worst he has ever seen and would take years to resolve!! 

Touch wood , since my op , I’ve only had a few minor issues with the fissure and finally this week I feel like I’m not constantly worrying about undoing the work done !  I don’t doubt there are still gonna be rough days if I do too much asi tend to swell up like a balloon down there , but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.