Horse riding after repair?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was hoping maybe there might be a fellow horse rider who can put my mind at rest.  Realistically will I get back to the normality I once had?  I have put my horse on full livery so not having to do any lifting etc to keep him but wonder if I'm being to hopeful in thinking I can get back riding regularly without risking my repairs!

thanks in advance x

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

An old post, but have you got back to horse riding Emma?
    • Posted

Unfortunately I never got back to riding.  I still suffer a little bit with prolapse following surgery and then got a frozen shoulder. I parted with my boy a few months ago and I'm devastated 🙁 

Good luck to you all x

• Posted

Oh no so sorry to hear that I had a frozen shoulder for two years  got it sorted 18 months ago I had physio and luckily it got back to normal I’m sorry you had to part with your boy how sad 😢 I’m hoping my prolapse repair has worked but to be honest it feels the same down there if it hasn’t I think I’ll just learn to live with it I won’t go through it again 

• Posted

Dear Emma

I'm so sorry to hear that, how sad for you.

I am only looking to return to a once a week lesson and maybe a riding holiday. We did one a few years ago with Freerein, in Wales. 

Xx

• Posted

I don’t blame you, Caroline 78194, if any of my prolapses return and i can manage them in any way, I will definitely NOT go through this again!!!!!!  I’m ready to have the fun type of surgery that removes excess fat and lifts these sad boobs up high!!😂 It May be painful but probably nothing compared to what I’m recovering from! Brutal!  (I’m 9 weeks post op.)

• Posted

Hi,

It's difficult to find anyone discussing a return to riding after prolapse surgery. I had a rectocele repair several years ago. Before then, I had taken horseback riding lessons for about a year with a lot of interruptions that were health or weather related. I'm 65 now and my friends think I'm crazy to consider riding again. I was wondering if I do return to riding if I would be better off riding English or Western to protect my pelvic floor and also, is it a bad idea to ride again after having pelvic floor prolapse? Anyway, I know this is an old post but I'm just hoping you might be able to advise. I'll look for somewhere else I might post my questions also. Thank you. 

• Posted

Hi Shirley 

I am in the U.K so have only ever ridden English style. I returned to once weekly riding lessons five  months after an anterior and posterior repair, a vaginal hysterectomy and sacrospinous fixation. I ultimately opted for surgery, after years of deliberating, due to stress incontinence; not good when riding! Unfortunately the surgery hasn't helped that, but the repairs are not a problem, no pain or discomfort. 

We're all different, my triple prolapse was apparently quite bad, who knows why some women get them and others don't. 

If you and your surgeon feel happy for you to return to riding then give it a go. I only started riding about four years ago and this activity was not the cause of my prolapse. 

Good luck. 

🐴🐴

• Posted

I’m pleased to read this comment as I think I’ve had the same as you without the hysterectomy mine was also triple prolapse stage 2 I think . Mine was three months ago now and on my check up the doctor said I won’t be able to ride for 18 months to 2 years which I think is a bit extreme as no else seems to have been told to wait this long even having had hysterectomys . My boy was only backed before my op and I can’t bear the thought of not getting on him for two years and I don’t intend to wait that long I think I’ll give it 6 months and then start riding maybe twice a week for half hour taking things steady .
  • Posted

Hi Emma,

I see that this was a while ago for you (discussion thread 6 years?) I was wondering how things went for you, i am having to have the same surgeries and also am a horse enthusiast, lover and rider.....and am very worried whether or not i will get through this....and still be able to ride again.

There seems to be no-one to ask....so hope you get this....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.