Hospital Appointment has come through

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have an appointment for tomorrow morning, Thursday, with a General Surgeon, following on from my CT scan which confirmed multiple gallstones. Really hoping I find a way forward. I am getting problems two or three times a week, with extreme bloating, and pain under my right ribs and round the back of my right shoulder blade.

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi 

good luck with appointment. I had mine last week - now awaiting op .

i wrote all my symptoms down as I find it helps and I gave it to the consultant .

let us know how you get on X 

• Posted

Great idea! I am just hoping he agrees that all my symptoms are linked, and that, if it's right, that he will agree to surgery.

Hope you don't have too long to wait. Were you given any idea of waiting times?

• Posted

I will keep you in prayer for a successful outcome of our sugery.  Please keep this

site posted on your progress.  I am contamplating surgery myself although I am

wondering is there is a diarrhea to be concerned about.

Thank you and Good luck!!

• Posted

Thank you for the prayers. I value them. I am anxious about recovery, but the almost constant problems are affecting my quality of life, and ability to do things, so much. Have you been referred to see a consultant yet?
    • Posted

I am 2.5 weeks post surgery and there is some diahrea but it seems to be getting less frequent .

But the pain is gone so worth it

• Posted

Hi

Consultant just said a good few months , I tried to pin a estimated month out of him but wasn't having it lol x

A friend of mine had gall bladder removed and waited 6 months and was back in work after 2 weeks !

My dad had his removed years ago and has been fine as long as he doesn't eat very rich foods - they go through him x

When I went to see consultant he was very matter of fact - yes removing it will relieve symptoms but it's my choice to have it done!

• Posted

Hi Lindylou, good luck on Thursday with the surgeon. It certainly seems as though your symptoms are gallbladder related. 

As someone has said this type of surgery is elective so they will only do it with your confirmation.

Make sure if you're not already doing it to stick to low fat food and avoid high fat, rich food and spicy food as all these do aggravate the gallbladder.

To be honest the surgery is the easy bit, with all the pain relief you're given pain is at a minimum. Some people can go back to work at 2 weeks other take a while longer. You'll just need to take it easy and rest. Not everyone has diarrhoea, you can get constipated too which is how I am.

Let me know how you get on and ask how long it'll be. Its a good idea to write it down as someone has said as I forgot everything I wanted to ask.

Take care x

• Posted

Good luck with your appointment, I hope you get a date soon.  It's so hard to struggle with a maverick gallbladder when you know getting it removed will leave you better!

Please let us know how you get on!

• Posted

Hello, my husband has had his pre op and now just wait for a sleep clinic appointment on the 21st of April as he snores  a bit and was concerned about how sometimes he sort of stops breathing in his sleep,so he will be having a monitor fitted to check things over. Then he will be ready for an op. It's been a long time coming what with all the pain and bloating he suffers from at the moment. But not long now. Good luck with yours,I am sure you will feel loads better afterwards.

• Posted

Hi Belinda, Glad your husband has a date now for the sleep clinic. Let me know how he gets on. x
    • Posted

Hi Belinda,

Glad to know that your husband has had his pre-op!  I hope that all goes well at the sleep clinic and that he's scheduled for surgery soon.  Please keep us updated!

• Posted

Well that was the fastest appointment in the history of the NHS! Was seen 30 minutes early. In for two minutes. Told him my symptoms. He offered me surgery! Now I have six to nine months to wait.
    • Posted

Hi, yes those appointments are really quick, I spoke more to the gi nurse than the surgeon. It was very much like yours, I couldn't believe it. 

Keep us informed of your symptoms and when you get your date. x

• Posted

I forgot to say, if your symptoms get worse so that you're bad everyday then go back to your gp who'll speak to your surgeon and bring that waiting time forward. Don't hesitate to go back if there are any changes as it may mean changes inside. x

• Posted

Oh thanks. That's good advice. At the moment I have way more bad days than good days.

• Posted

The waiting is difficult!  But I hope that you won't have to wait too long for your surgery.  

Please let us know how you get on! x

• Posted

Omg I've taken the next step my surgeon will be seeing me Tues morning omg getting scared😥

• Posted

Hi Carol, don't be scared. You'll just go through your symptoms, I did that to his gi nurse before he came into the room and he/she will come in and say what he'll do but you have to agree to surgery as its elective. It was a really quick appointment. Then its a case of waiting for a pre op date and then surgery date. Its nothing to worry about honestly. Mine did come across as very matter of fact and official but I suppose they see so many people. When I saw him after surgery he was completely different.

Good luck and let me know how you get on and don't be scared, its easy. x

• Posted

Hi Carol, it's good that you got an appointment.  Katherine is more familiar than I am with how things go in the UK, I'm in the US.  But, you're taking the first step to becoming more healthy!!

Best of luck to you, and let us know how your appointment goes! xx 

• Posted

Hi thanks don't no if I've been lucky when i told the surgeon i didn't want op he must not have discharged me as i thought so I'm lucky not to have to go on waiting again 😔😷

• Posted

Meant to ask you. Do you know if the excessive bloating is directly related to the gallbladder/gallstones problem?
    • Posted

I can only go on what I've read and my experience i definitely think the bloating and wind is that's why I'm going to have the op i will ask Tuesday morning and i will let you no.take care😍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.