Hot flushes

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

Periods stopped about 5 and a half years ago.

Why am I having hot flushes

Any advice please

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Junieju, you asked why are you having hot flashes? Here's your answer. Also, you can them all the way into your 70's, as long as you still have your ovaries.

Hot flashes are caused by a phenomenon called vasomotor instability. To understand this phenomenon first one must understand some basic physiology about the body. Blood vessels in the skin of the body can dilate or constrict (open up or narrow down), depending on what the body tells them to do. If the body gets hot, then it sends blood to the outside of the body by dilating or opening the blood vessels in the skin. This allows the heat of the blood, and thus of the body, to dissipate or leave and cool the body down. This is just like in an automobile when the water runs through a radiator to cool the car down. This ability of the body to cool itself is a regulatory mechanism for heat control of the body, and a thermoregulator in the brain directs this regulation. One may think of this as the body's thermostat. The thermoregulator in a woman's brain controls the body's heat and cooling regulatory function, just as the thermostat in a house controls the heater and air conditioner.

If the thermostat on a house is constantly changed, or someone is frequently moving it up and down, then the air conditioner of the house will be constantly be going on and off. This is similar to what happens in a woman having hot flashes; the thermostat in her brain is bouncing up and down. All of a sudden it tells the body it is hot, and tells the body to send all of the blood to the skin to cool the body down. First the woman feels hot as her thermostat has told her she is hot. Next the blood is sent to her skin and the flush or redness appears. Then the sweating begins as her body tries to cool itself off. Then, after only a few minutes, the thermostat resets itself and the woman feels normal again, but only later to undergo the same cycle again.While many things such as diet, caffeine, heat and stress are known to trigger hot flashes, the underlying cause is known to be a decrease of estrogen in the body. While the general mechanisms of the hot flash can be explained, the reason why less estrogen causes this instability of the body's thermostat is less certain. And, the more rapid the drop of estrogen, the more severe the hot flashes tend to be.

• Posted

Hi

Wow, I learned a lot there.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Junie

• Posted

Thats a great way of explaining it to all of us Sochima. So if you get them mainly at night, is this because you are experiencing drop in estrogen while you sleep?
    • Posted

You're welcome, looloo. Yes, estrogen levels could be dropping, and it could also be that you have too many covers and this too can cause the heat body temperature to rise. In either case the brain is sending signals to your blood that you're too hot and need to cool off.

• Posted

its strange as i apply my oestrogel at bedtime every night, & i always make sure i am a comfortable temp when i go to bed - loose pj's cotton, just a moderate thickness quilt, bedroom never hot & air vent on window open, but the majority of my "sweats" are at nightime. i can cope with them, as my hrt helps my mental symptoms tremendously, but its not pleasant waking up with pj's feeling damp, & it sometimes makes me feel cold too. something i guess i'll just have to put up with, but it's good to understand why it happens. Thankyou Sochima. 

• Posted

oops where's the edit button! You CAN have them into your 70's.

• Posted

Hi

At least I am not alone, but I have to deal with it.

Reading here is helpful

Thanks

Junie

• Posted

Hi,

I also have had no periods for 6 years....hot flushes have continued in this tima also. And the daytime ones are getting worse too.

• Posted

Hi

It's no fun at all,

How do you cope, I try my best, but it seems like it will never end.

Junie

• Posted

I think you just get on with it...not a lot else I can do, refuse to take HRT, so no choice really...there are some ladies still having them in their 60s & 70's, so they may not let up anytime soon

• Posted

this is what it's like in our house day and night lol!!!

• Posted

I suppose on the plus side, I don't need the heating on so much, which may be a relief for my husband, on the not so good side, I have the window open all night, and throw the duvet on my husbands side.

So he is suffering also, anyway we are suppose to share everything, lol

Junie

• Posted

I just sent a reply and then made your picture bigger

That is me, oh lol

Junie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.