Hot flushes at their worse.... help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, i have been menopausal for about 4 years or more now.  The doctor put me on Chlonidine which took the edge away from the hot flushes at first, but now i am getting aroung 20+ a day and the night sweats are horrendous, waking me up evey half hour or so.  I also take Citolopram for depression which, i think is actually making the flushes and sweats worse.

I have tried almost all of the over the counter products which work at first then my body gets use to them.

I am depserate for any advice anyone might have for me to try.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I would talk to your doctor it could be interactions between the two pills the Citolopram and the Chlonidine. Your heart rate or blood pressure could be up with these two meds causeing you the get the hot flashes 

Take out the Chlonidine and see how you feel because a lot of medications should not be taken with psycic meds or there can be an interaction 

I am on Zoloft and ativan and trazodone to help me 

• Posted

Hi Susan,

Yes was going to talk to Doctor about coming off the Chlonidine as it does not seem to be working now so taking it unnecessarily.

Thanks for getting back to me.

• Posted

Your welcome. I would never want to be on medication that affects my ativan my zoloft and my trazodone and my levothyroxine. 

Is Chlonidine an HRT for the hormones just want to know 

• Posted

Hiya

Sorry to hear of your problems with the flushes/night sweat. Ain't got them.....yet! Bloody dreading that as I toss and turn/up & down for the loo all night as it is!!

As soon as I read you also take Citalopran, I knew you'd be sweating. My eldest sister takes this in her cocktail of meds, soi knew it was one of the side effects. She also yawns ALL the time....another cr*ppy side effect! Mind you, you're probably yawning too - thanks to the hot night flushes!

You have my complete sympathy. I know you'll get loads of advice on here (that I'll make a not of for future ref!!!).

Read someone had used a 'hot' water bottle filled with cold water to hug. Sounds easy enough to try :-)

Good Luck Wendy but as others have suggested, your GP might be worth a visit as he might be able to alter doses/change your meds.

Take it easy Kiddo:-)

Sx

• Posted

Hi Shaznay, I had a feelin that the Citolopram were makin them worse, they do seem to have got worse since ive been takin it. Its an absolute nightmare, specially wen ur out in company n u start sweatin profusely. Really appreciate ur reply.

xx

• Posted

I think its the combination of the Citolopram and the Chlonidine the two med might be interacting with each other. I'm on different medications myself, I take Zoloft, Ativan, Trazodone, Levothyroxine, Vitd3, Multivitamin, and Losartan and there are a lot of interactions with these meds the GI doctor told me to stop my metformin because of my stomach issues. I am down to a 195 now from a 207 I have lost weight with walking and not eating much 
  • Posted

Hi Wendy, not sure I can offer you any recommendations.  Everything I have tried has done absolutely nothing, other than make me even more unwell!  My flushes have been around for a few years.  They have be around for a while, perhaps 3 months then stop.  They return with avengence or not!  Some start in my stomach and work upwards.  Some just start at my chest.  I've had ones that only affect my face then others that involve my whole body.  Sometimes I get a break of a month or two then I don't have them but then I still get all other symptoms.  I'm just trying to ride through. I just know I'm not alone now I've joined this forum.  Try to be positive. (I know it's easier said than done.) x 
  • Posted

I won't lie as have never been treated for menopause symptoms it will calm down I'm 52 the sweats do decrease no more night sweats for me but a lot of other problems do follow welcoms to the menopause club lol
  • Posted

Hi Wendy 

to share my experience of hot flushes over the peri i had ..

in a nut shell i got ( personally) hot flushes in my early peri ans night sweats ( waking sopping wet) in early peri.. I then took rainforest food maca 5.1 capsules (2500mg) daily and then the flushes eventually calmed to none,  Didnt have any for years..

thought that part was finished ..

but now being post menopause the flushes came back last summer ( the intense summer heat where i live ) were assisting my flushes i was also having 20+ a day, they only eased when i kept cool, in pool, or AC on full blast.. 

Still have them now when i feel warm, they are a pain, and i hear many women have them return in post menopause 😟

jay x

• Posted

Hi Wendy

I used a Ladycare magnet you can buy it in Boots about £25, it worked for me reduced my flushes by about 90%.

Lou

• Posted

Hi Lou, i used one of these at the beginning but then it stoped workin after a while. Had it checked by the manufacturers and they said it was fine but a new one would probably work better. Sort of put me off after that.

Thank you anyway.

Wendy

• Posted

Ha, Ha.  Saw one of these last week in Boots.  Was telling my husband what they're used for.

Funniest thing was when I said they had to be worn 'inside your knickers' - his face was a picture!  Can't tell you where I believe he thought it should go.......but that's blokes for you!

Not having flushes just yet (probably because I've got everything crossed!) but will try if I have to.

Bought up half of H&Barratts today: Primrose Oil Capsules; Acidophillius; 5HTP; Kelp.  Wasn't so long ago that buying a new outfit gave me the same 'buzz'. 

Great getting old, ain't it?!!wink

Sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.