Hot pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm experiencing this really hot searing pain just above my knee - i am now seventeen days post op- hard to describe but I woke the night before last and it felt that part of my leg was on fire - walking yesterday was excruciating and didn't get very far!!

anyone any ideas?! thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm 6 weeks post op and have been getting this every night . Ive read its normal. I take painkillers and occasionally sleeping tablets but nothing really suppresses it. I take 3 coolpacks to bed and rotate them. i try to sleep with my knee poking out of the duvet to keep it cool. I wish Id bought a blanket cage really to keep the bedclothes off of that leg , but I keep thinking this must get better soon.

Speak to your Dr about effective anti inflammatories. Go to bed armed with reading material , a drink, snack and just accept that you arent going to get a good nights sleep for some weeks but you will get there.

• Posted

Hi thanks for reply - well at least I'm not alone! hard going this recovery! I've got fairly decent painkillers and take a sleeping tablet - have my kindle and drink to hand! I ice just after I get into bed but I think I'll take your advice and bring more up for during the night!! I suppose I'll have to reconcile myself to having sleepless night - just exhausting during the day! I'll get there - trying to keep smiling 😊😊 to do it all again in ten weeks time- now that makes me want to cry!! thanks again for reply - nice to know I'm not alone

• Posted

I am 2 months post op and still get that burning all around my knee every so often. I believe that is normal and icing for 15-20 m as often as you can should help. It helped me anyway. Hang in there!

• Posted

All sorts of other pain and feelings are common after a TKR...

Other Pain After a TKR

Typically, burning sensations are associated with the nerves healing. The bad news is that this will take a while to resolve. Even years later, you will probably have nerve pain when you kneel on a hard surface. Very typical. Use a 3" foam pad inside and tactical knee pads outdoors. That residual nerve pain on kneeling is probably forever but the pain you have now will go away.

The good news is that you can use topicals such as Voltaren Gel (generic diclofenac) to help with that pain. Not guaranteed but it's the best RX anti-inflammatory out there. You can also try menthol and capsaicin patches to see if they help. You may also want to look into acupuncture.

IMHO, I cannot recommend the RX nerve meds Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Lyrica as they have huge side effects. This is a temporary problem that will get better in time. Personally, I wouldn't use the nerve meds...

Gabapentin Warning

Never take that drug with your opioids... Stay safe.

• Posted

The Ortho surgeon prescribed gabapentin + oxycodone to be taken together. Both of these drugs did a lot of damage to me; I still had the pain only accompanied by shakes, xtreme loss of control over negative thinking, severe constipation, conking out at the drop of a hat even with a fork in my hand while attempting to eat. Not for everyone.

• Posted

I posted that warning when I became aware of it. I will NEVER take those nerve drugs!!! And mixing them with the opioids is very dangerous. I know it's easy to just take a pill when you're in pain...and the pain after a TKR is absolutely extreme. Try to take as little RX meds as possible to get past it. Some can...some can't. We all had to ENDURE until the pain gradually subsided. Not easy. Hang in there...it does get better. I'm 3 1/2 years post-op and it was all worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.