How can I get past the tiredness depression causes?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone, does anyone have any advice as to how to deal with the tiredness that depression causes?

I am taking mirtazapine which helps me get a full nights sleep now, but I still lack the energy that I need to do things. When I do feel well enough to get out and about and do something with my day or go out for the evening it exhausts me and results in me needing to recover for a few days. I put in so much effort to try to keep positive and to try not to mope about but it's physically exhausting. I just want my energy and enthusiasm back sad.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

Just joined this site as feeling a bit at the end of my tether with the whole thing. I have been given temazapam from go as I'm not sleeping at all, but exhausted 24 hours. Only taken it for 2 nights and the 2 nod night it never worked at all

• Posted

Hi Claire, had you been prescribed anything before temazapam?
  • Posted

Hi

I've been on 200mg of sertraline for quite a while now. I discussed with gp that I thought I needed to lower dose as I wasn't sleeping. He did not agree and instead gave me the temazapam

• Posted

I don't know much about sertraline or temazapam. I was taking citalopram, but after 8 weeks gp decided it wasn't working for me, so I've now been taking mirtazapine for nearly 2 weeks now.
  • Posted

Ii was at gp on wed. He said to go back after 2 weeks and if I still hadn't improved he would start thinking about trying something else but I can't wait that long now. I've had a REALLY bad weekend.

Are you feeling better on your new medication?

• Posted

Yeah I understand how you are feeling, when you aren't sleeping it can become unbearable. Yeah they are starting to make me feel better in myself, I think mainly because I get a full nights sleep every night. I still feel a lack of energy though, I often have to take a sleep during the day.
  • Posted

I must admit, I really felt hopefully this time. I was increased from 150 mg to 200 mg and for 2 weeks I felt like my old self. I wasn't sleeping but I was willing to forsake that to feel good. Unfortunately I have now gotten even worse then I was before. I will ask my gp about the one u are on
  • Posted

Keep positive. Unfortunately I have yet to find a quick fix.. I have found that as your sleep improves in quality, you will take less time to recover after a busy day. Also try to get into a routine before sleeping. For example; wind down with a cup of tea and reading material, stest clear of watching the tv as it's too active. Find a quiet spot, or sit by an open window and then go to bed only when you are ready to close your eyes. This will encourage a more productive sleep pattern, leading to more energy during the day.

Hope this helps x

• Posted

Yeah, I just want to feel like my old self too sad. I hope you find something to work for you claire.

Hi DanMar, yeah i am keeping myself to a routine most days, and I do get a full nights sleep, I still get tiredness during the day though.

• Posted

Hi, I'm the same, I just can't sleep unless I take Zopliclone some nights but my GP is reluctant to give me any more. I'm exhausted all the time even to the point taking a bath leaves me exhausted. I don't know if I have chronic fatigue syndrome as well as the depression as this came later but it's been 7 months now and I am so fed up.
  • Posted

Hi to you all

The fatigue gets mes I have felt like this nearly 3 years had every x.ray ultra sound,ECG ,echo cardio gram blood test urine test all clear and the only diagnose is depression and stress but what the cure us don't know I am on clonasapan have been for about 20 years only 0.5mg at night but last night cut a quarter off to see if I can get off it I am so anti meds the GP wants me to up it no way.Anyway enough of me lets all see if we can support each other on here.I will always answer you when I come on.xxx

• Posted

Hi Kerry, yeah I was prescribed zopiclone for 7 days and it's good for the short term but there wasn't really much point in it for me, just meant that for a week I didn't spend half the night awake, but then went back to not being able to sleep again. The mirtazapine is helping me to get to sleep now, but the daytime tiredness is so frustrating. What medication are you taking for depression?

I feel as though I sound ungrateful and that I shouldn't be complaining because I am sleeping now, and I am so happy that I am sleeping now, because that tiredness was unbearable. This though feels like a different kind of tiredness. Like you said taking a bath exhausts you, this is what happens to me. I will wake up and I will be feeling ok, and will decide to prepare myself for the day, but then taking a shower exhausts me. I only have a shower in my house and I end up taking a shower sat down on the floor in shower, and then have to sit down for a while after getting out of the shower before finding myself able to get dressed. It is just frustrating as it does make me feel better to get out and about and do things and see people, but some days I am just so physically tired it adds to the difficulty of getting through the days and makes me feel down again.

• Posted

Hi Joan, yeah I would prefer not to have to be on meds too, but I think at the moment I need them, want to get off them as soon as I can though.
  • Posted

Hi again , I have been on 50mg of Sertraline for 4 weeks now and I have just been back to my GP who has kept me on the same dose for another 4 weeks. I am just hoping the fatigue improves as my quality of life is suffering so much and I am unable to work as I was a contract worker I am also unable to claim any benefits. I am definitely less anxious and not as bothered about things which is positive.
  • Posted

Hi

How is everybody today thinking of you. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.