How can I get past the tiredness depression causes?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone, does anyone have any advice as to how to deal with the tiredness that depression causes?

I am taking mirtazapine which helps me get a full nights sleep now, but I still lack the energy that I need to do things. When I do feel well enough to get out and about and do something with my day or go out for the evening it exhausts me and results in me needing to recover for a few days. I put in so much effort to try to keep positive and to try not to mope about but it's physically exhausting. I just want my energy and enthusiasm back sad.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey Kerry, yeah I am sick off work at the moment, don't know what I am going to do when I go back to work, just hoping the tiredness goes by then. Yeah my anxiety is improving too I think.
  • Posted

Itssofluffy,

Nice to see you n here,hope you get back to work soon.

• Posted

it's so fluffy, hope you get back to work soon, I suppose it depends what job you do? I'm in a high stress job where people's lives depend on decisions I make so I could not risk going back while I'm so fatigued. My cognitive function is impaired to say the least!

I am thinking of a career change when I'm better.

• Posted

Yeah I am not allowed to go back yet because of what my job involves.
  • Posted

Hello all

Tiredness and depression - not a good mix. Have been on Fluoxetine for just over 6 years and have never beaten the whole tiredness thing without help from the docs.

Had Temazepam to start with after all the natural remedies (Avon sleeptime spray, lavender oil, bedtime relaxing teas) failed, or my body just got used to them. Doc has now prescribed Diazepam (as its cheaper) and most nights it will give me 5 straight hours of uninterrupted sleep.

I'm lucky in that i don't work so don't need to be up early. Depression affects many things - concentration, memory, patience, thought processes to mention but a few.

Don't be too hard on yourselves. Have some 'me' time.I've heard meditation is good though i've never tried it. You could try listening to relaxing music - worked for me before the 'zepam's' were prescribed.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

MP

• Posted

Hi all, just some positive news for me and hope to others, after 7 months and 4 weeks on Sertraline I have had 7 hours uninterrupted sleep.

Kerry x

• Posted

Hi Meganpooch, yeah I try to stick to a routine before I go to bed now, always have a drink of tea (decaf!) and have some caffeine free flavoured teas aswell. I rarely have difficulty falling to sleep now because I take mirtazapine, it's just the tiredness during the day I have trouble with.

Glad to hear you got some sleep Kerry smile

• Posted

Hiya itssofluffy

How long have you been on the drug for? It can take time. I'm on Fluoxetine and in the early days took it at various times of day. I found in the end taking in the morning was best. Maybe experiment? I used to get the tiredness in the daytime too - maybe my system is so hardened to this drug now it doesn't matter when i take it.

My sleep problems are not only down to depression unfortunately. I did something foolishly in my youth which has affected my spine and muscles but yesterday i had a cranial (which realigns the body at the osteopath's and last night had the best sleep ever (well, since the last time i had one over a year ago - at £40 a throw its not something i do regularly).

Well done Kerry - lets hope this is the 1st of many good night's kip.

• Posted

Hey meganpooch

I have only been taking mirtazapine for 2 weeks now so my body is probably still getting used to it. Had been taking citalopram for 8 weeks before that but it wasn't working for me, so GP changed it.

I take it just before I go to bed because it has a sedating effect which helps me to fall to sleep. Someone has suggested I try taking it a little earlier in the evening, which helped them with the tiredness the next day.

Glad you had a good sleep too. I know how good it feels to be sleeping again smile.

• Posted

Hi redjaxx, ok this sounds interesting thanks x
  • Posted

Sounds wonderful but expensive,that litre only last two days then if I have worked it out right.
  • Posted

Hi MP, sorry to highjack thread,I been on Fluoxetine for 12 months,first 8 weeks horrendous, after that fantanstic.UNTIL LATELY
  • Posted

You are not hijacking the thread Suzanne, just joining in which is good, so no apology needed. Like you the 1st 8 weeks and in fact a couple more than that were not good. I was on a level playing field until the last few days. I don't so much have mood swings now but my head feels like mush.

Tonight i felt like a drink and ended up having 4 pints of ale but it didn't make me feel any different. I know alcohol is a depressant but didn't care tonight.

So, what has happened with you lately? Like you it seems by the time of your post, sleep is tricky also

• Posted

I've sent you a Private message Suzanne.
  • Posted

Im strugling with tiredness for 2-3 years now. last year i got in to hospital because of depression caused illness, i thought i am sick with cancer or something but after many doctors and hundreds of euros i have now diagnose -severe depression. Im taking Venlafaxinum and Xanax, first 2 days i felt sooo happy like never before, then after 2 weeks the effects wore out and now after about month i feel a little bit better than before medicine but the reality gets me. When i was working in last job i felt so tired during day i thought i will just collapse on the floor, i quit that job, now im searching something new. But can not drop the thoughts of suicide, the emotional pain, lonelyness, weakness, hopelessness, I feel pressure in head in stress situations. I dont know how long i will take it, I feel better than month ago, but it is extremely hard to keep going. Im 29

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.