HOW CAN I STOP THIS EDOMA

Posted , 4 users are following.

I HAVE HAD EDEMA FOR OVER 4 MONTHS NOW FROM A MEDICATION I TOOK FOR MY BACK. I WENT TO MY FAMILY DOCTOR AND HE WRAPPED MY LEGS FOR 2 DAYS. WHEN THE BANDAGES CAME OFF I LOST 3 INCHES IN MY CALVES AND 7 LBS OF WATER AND MY FEET AND ANKLES LOOKED NORMAL. THAT WAS GREAT BUT AS SOON AS I WENT BACK TO WORK SITTING ALL DAY MY LEGS, FEET AND ANKLES ARE ALL SWOLLEN AGAIN AND MY RIGHT LEGS JUST ACHES ALL DAY. I TRY TO GET UP AND WALK AROUND FOR A WHILE BUT I CANT BECAUSE MY JOB IS TO ANSWER THE PHONE. IF SOMEONE KNOWS A SPECIAL KIND OF DOCTOR WHO DEALS WITH THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I CANT SPEND THE REST OF MY LIFE WRAPPED UP IN BANDAGES. I STILL CANT GET INTO MY SHOES . PLEASE HELP !!!!!

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What was the medication ? was it Omeprazole ???
    • Posted

No it was maloxicam 15 mg. It was supposed to be a non steroid ant- inflamatory. It did nothing for my back , but caused me to get this edema. Even though i havented taken the medicine in months this edema isnt reversing itself. I guess it doesnt.Was Omeprazole what caused you to get edema????
    • Posted

@patty42962, I hope you are getting better. My brother had an operation for his gallbladder and was put on antibiotic and strong pain killers, after 5 days when he completed the doses he developed swollen ankles and gradually getting bad as the swelling affecting both his legs now.   Wonder how are you doing now? Did your edema improve? Did it progress from small swelling or started bad and gradually improved? Sorry for too many questions, I am just very worried about my brother' situation. Thanks a lot.
    • Posted

I am about the same. My legs,ankles, and feet swell alot when I am working because my feet are under the desk all day and I dont get to move around much. I bought these velcro wraps on line that I put on both my legs for about 8 hours a day and the swelling really goes down. One day my calves were swollen up to 23 inches and after 8 hours of the wraps they went down to 18 1/2 inches. I couldnt believe how much water i had in those legs. I also take Lasix 20 mg every day which helps take the water out of my body. What happens after around 3 hours you have to adjust them because they get loose because the swelling is going down. They cost around 110.00 per leg but well worth the money. I can let you know where i got them if you like. Sometimes I wear them to work , but I need my husband to tighten them up for me so I usually wear them at home. When I sit all day my legs just ache all day. They are real tight and it feels so good while they are on. After taking them off I try to keep my legs up as much as possible and then wear compression stockings to keep the swelling down. I still dont know what else to do with this. I need to see a vascular surgeon to see what they think. My family doctor doesnt know alot about this other than wrap them up all the time. I got this from a medication called Myloxicam 15 mg. I was taking that for 3 months for my back pain and this I found out was one of the side effects. The doctor said not alot of people get this from that medication but I was the lucky one I guess. Let me know if you want to know about the wraps.
    • Posted

Hi Patty42692

So glad to hear you are managing your legs with the stockings and velcro wrap. But...if it was your medication...it would stop when u stopped the medication. I think you are in denial about the lymphoedema and that's your perogative. That's the same treatment they would have to do after getting your legs down to size....wrapping with velcro wrap or using compression stockings. My left leg is going to have to use something called a Farrow wrap which is the velcro wrap. My other leg wasn't a problem but since we started to lymphatic massage it began to swell too. Good stockings have different levels of compression...mine was special ordered and is 15 to 20 % .compression and is holding my right leg pretty good. My dumb left leg still fills back up very quickly if you leave the wrap off so will order the Farrow wrap. When it cuts circulation on your leg that's called seeking...like a rubber band just keeps squeezing...the stocking will try and find the weakest parts of your leg especially on fatty parts or creases...you can put a piece if foam under the stocking or thick pad like a kotex to fill that weak spot. Just gotta watch and adjust it sometimes.it makes sense that shorter ones fitted you better. You had too much material for your short leg...lol.

Oh...fyi...I AM the one that had lapband. I don't know about Donna but u and I talked a little about that too. Take care sweetie... ladyjack51

• Posted

I appreciate you getting back to me. I hope you find solutions and comfort in dealing with the swelling.  I will mention the Velcro wraps to my brother.  He went back to his surgeon for follow up and was told that the swelling was not on his line of practice and told him to see another doctor regarding the swelling, in short he discharged my brother from his care.  My brother then went to another doctor, he was prescribed aldactone 25 mg but didn't notice any improvement after 2 days, i know it's only 2 days and It may take another few days before the medication actually worked, but the swelling has becoming worst that he needed to return to his doctor, he was put on increased dosage since last night. I really hope it will improve his condition. Thank you very much for sharing your story with us.  Kind regards xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.