How can I survive a roller coaster?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last time I went to an amusement park,I rode that pirate ship that goes back and forth and i freaked out so much that I asked the supervisor to stop and let me out! I used to love them.... Any advice?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is this a joke?

Yeah, I have some advice

Stay away from amusement park rides

• Posted

Why would it be a joke? I just want my life back! I want to be able to enjoy the things I used to,without freaking out over an amusement park. But thank you for you reply!
    • Posted

I honestly thought you were joking. If not then I apologize.
    • Posted

I do not believe this is a place to joke about anything.. I admit i have a sense of humour that has basically saved me many times,but no,I was not joking! I do accept your apology,no harm done!
    • Posted

There have been instances of people posting things which were fabricated, one person in particular who first was bitten by a bat and feared rabies..we all rushed to help....then a mouse peed on him and he thought he wasabout to die...on and on that went until the Moderator closed his account.

Hard to believe that people mock those with Anxiety/Panic Disorder but sadly they exist

I genuinely thought you were joking. I would never intentionally hurt anyone.

I appreciate that you have accepted my apology

Thank you

Helen

• Posted

Oh yes,they do exist... And the worst part,in my opinion,is the ones who are close to you that basically just think that this is an excuse to get out of sth... Ah,been there... It's alright,I can understand from what you're describing that you could be sceptical about a question like this! No problems here!!!!

Victoria

• Posted

That is very gracious of you!

I honestly resonded tongue in cheek but not with the intention to humiliate nor hurt you

If I might just say? If the ride made you feel dizzy and because of your fear of fainting in front of everyone, it induced a panic attack....Then it's no wonder you fear going on a ride again

Whatever ignites a panic attacks becomes to us something to fear. We fear it will induce another.

Fear by association

I cannot say make an excuse to opt out of going with your friends because avoidance is never a good thing. I learned that the hard way

However, on the reverse side of the coin, forcing yourself to do something you fear can also have a negative effect because you'll be dreading it before you even arrive and will then be in a state of heightened tension

You will have to make a judgement about how you feel when the time comes.  But it isn't the ride you must fear. It's your fear of the ride

I hope you can go, can enjoy your time on the rides with your friends

Good luck

Helen

• Posted

I completely agree... Fear by association is very real... I'm not sure what I will do... I like to face my fears,but maybe this fear is not very irrational,right? People without any phobias or anxiety disorders are not comfortable with amusement parks,right?

It takes a lot to humiliate me or hurt me,my dear Helen! Please,do not worry about it! And anyway,you didn't say anything that bad!!!!!!!  smile

• Posted

Many people are scared of amusement park rides. One of my sisters is a perfectly calm human being, almost fearless, but she'd be kicking and screaming if you tried to get her on one

What is interesting, though, is that the rides make people dizzy. This is a sense of loss of control. And losing/fearing loss of control/feeling an involuntary loss of control, scares the hell out of people with Anxiety/Panic Disorder

So I agree. It's not irrational.

Personally I would never force myself. I like to deal with my fears as and when I feel physically and mentally capable of doing so. When I'm in a good place

That might sound like avoidance, that might sound like shying away from that which frightens me

But

Failure is soul destroying to anyone with AD/PD. It sucks the courage out of us. It makes one avoid trying again. It makes one feel hopeless and helpless

Only you can decide what to do. What place you stand in and how capable you feel of seeing this though

It's a balance

Do I think you can do it? Yes, but not if you do it to prove a point to yourself, to prove you are not afraid

If you do it, do so because you know, you feel in your mind and body, that there is nothing to be frightened of

Helen smile

• Posted

I'm a control freak,truth be told.. I have never been drunk in my life,never done any kind of drugs... I cannot stand not having complete awareness and control over a situation...And I think I want to do it to prove a point to myself,you are right...

• Posted

I am a control freak too! Don't drink, never taken drugs.

I think a lot of people with AD/PD fear loss of control. That's why the symptoms we have devastate us. We cannot make them go away, or so we believe. They are involuntary

However, that's somewhat misleading. The symptoms, vile though they are, cannot harm us. It's our fear of them we must overcome

I believe you have enough feistiness to carry you through. Not the kind of gal that likes to be beaten ( Me Too, lol !)

But please, you have to do this for the right reason. Not for fear of letting your friends down

Do it for yourself

You can!

Go Girl!

• Posted

Thank you!!! My worst fear is to let myself down... As myself is my worst enemy and harshest critic,it's also my good friend (damaged as it may be,still..I want to think I am a good person) and I hate failure above all....

Thank you for your encouraging words!!!!

• Posted

Are you me? Lol. Am I you?

I hate to fail myself. I see it as a weakness which when one comes to think about it is absurd.

Ib get cross with myself if I feel I haven't done my best, given my all

However, I am like a dog with a bone when I set my mind to something

My eldest son always teases me and says,

"Ma, do you EVER give up?"

Well..no..not if I can help it I don't

Just keep on trying

Learning

EEk, no wonder I'm a bag of nerves rolleyes

• Posted

Hahahhaha|! Sister from another mister? Haha! Same here! And of course,I overanalyse everything!!! I drive myself nuts sometimes! Oh well... :P
  • Posted

Okay, the below advice was not very helpful. Geesh. Do you remember what you used to love about them? Can you recall how you used to feel on them? Or what changed? Do you remember the day your feelings changed about them or what got you so scared of them? I say JUST DO IT. Face your fear! You used to love it, so refind that love. Go on a more mellow roller coasters a couple times until you feel comfortable and then let looooooose! Ride them all! After you ride a few mellow ones, you will probably start to feel better. Face your fear! 
    • Posted

My last good memory was with my grandparents! They are not here anymore... I tried that pirate ship a few years back with a former bf and immediately I felt dizzy and that caused a panic attack.. Then,\i freaked out and the panic attack got worse..You know how it goes... I am not afraid of heights,not claustrophobic (ok,no caves..!!!) and I am exactly that person you described! I face my fears! I am a dj and I have worked a 12 hour shift whilst having a panic attack! But the roller coaster thing is a bit daunting... THANK YOU for being supportive!
    • Posted

And I agree... The previous comment was a tad aggressive,I think... I do not want to cower in fear anymore.. \i've had enough of thst. I'm 33 years old and I'm even terrified of pregnancy and giving birth!

• Posted

Omg you are a DJ!? How cool! What kind of music! And yes FACE YOUR FEARS. It's just a ride. Tell yourself that and as you wait in line remind yourself that it's just a ride, you used to have so much fun. Ya, you might get dizzy or even a bit sick after, especially if its been a while, your body may need to get "re-used" to it. But its not anything serious! Its just a little motion sickness! It'll pass and you will be OKAY! 

Do you want to be pregnant!? If so, don't fear it. Billions of women have and will give birth. Its a common thing. You will be able to handle it! I truly believe that once the baby is out and in your arms, all that pain and discomfort wont matter! You will forget about it and just be so thankful for what your body gave you! <3 

I don't have children yet, but I really want them. ONE of my MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY (lol) many fears is that either, I wont be able to bare children for whatever reason, or that I will not be able to handle my emotions when I go off my anxiety medicine and am hormonal from the prgenancy and that my anxiety will just be so awful that I wont be able to function or carry the baby healthily. AHHHHHHH. LOL. Can I just be "normal"? That would be cool. 

• Posted

Shoot me a private message!! Let's chat! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.