How can I tell if I am alive or dead?

Posted , 29 users are following.

Its occured to me that I might be dead and not realise it. I committed suicide a little over two months ago but recall coming round in hospital, but now I am not so sure? I have been off work for four months due to a serious heart problem, I live on my own and apart from seeing neighbours, I live now in total isolation. Thing is, since that day, I am feeling worst and worst, I e-mailed my cardiologist about my heart, yet recieved no reply, before my ablation they were in constant contact. I feel so ill and wrong inside, I now feel drunker and drunker every day, this feeling started when they put me on beta-blockers, but I have been off them for nearly three months now. I think I saw my GP last Thursday, he said he will contact my cardiologist to bring my appointment forward, but apart from that, he didnt really say much so I am thinking maybe I imagined it? or maybe he didnt even know I was there?  

3 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanking you for your responses, an update on my situation, it is now two years since I became ill from beta blockers, whilst the blood oxygen levels and heart rate returned to acceptable levels a full year after ceasing taking those medicines, the Drunk Zombie feeling still remain, too exhausted to get out much and I have been medically retired, NHS I have given up on so remain permanently unwell.

I think I have gotten used to how I feel in comparison to how I felt before the meds, when I was fit and well, so no longer wonder if I am dead but don't know it, I have modified my notion to wondering if I had invited Death into my life and he is drawing out the process?

• Posted

Peter,

Don't listen to the bull**** these people say. Question everything. Reality could be much more complicated than they have told us. Scientists and wise men throughout the history have said that there are multiple layers of reality.

Yes maybe you are dead and maybe I am dead as well and maybe both of us are just overlapping imprints of reality that once existed in another form.

Some say there are parallel universes that each and every one of these universes ranging from a little to a lot like the other ones.

try to find a better description for death itself and one description for life .

That I am typing this for you doesn't mean I really exist or you really exist, but it could be I am a leftover of a mind that once existed.

Maybe there is God, I don't know. You can call it a god or a creator or some aliens with much more knowledge and science controlling our existence and minds and realities. But it's not a bad idea to call him and to ask him to help you and to try to behave the way he would like you to.

I think one sign of being dead is constant problems. Problem after problem after problem. And nobody seems to care. That nobody cares could be a sign that they are not real or they are real but they are a different form of reality.

if you and I ordered then we are in a universe or a reality that we can't quite understand. If you and I are dead then there is only one thing we can do and that is try to reduce the level of pain and act as if nothing's wrong. You and I -dead or alive-are creatures that can think and that have minds, and mind affects reality. Then if we can somehow make ourselves believe that there is less pain than there will be really less pain. Maybe you and I are both alive but problems and loneliness have caused us to question the very essence of reality.

Try praying talking to God but before doing that you have to do something about your sins because if you are associated with sins God will not listen to what you say. Ask both religious men and decent scientists.

Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

• Posted

I have been having a similar thought, except.. I died having a seizure in my mums arms, and I don't know if I was having a dream about my death seizure in her arms or I actually died. The life I'm living now is... Some dream of thinking I'm still alive, but I feel floaty and messed up on this constant thought.

And it makes me sad.. But then am I letting my depression hit me.

I literally fear my epilepsy.

• Posted

Your conditions might cause paranoia, go for treatment that can help you cope with symptoms and live a happier, more productive life. Consult an experienced physician.

• Posted

At the age of eight I had a figure appear to me at the foot of my bed when I tried to tell my parents about it in the morning they told me I had a nightmare and to quit cussing they were a million miles away. I've come to learn that the same visitor came to me when I was 4 years old when I had a fever and I was in the closest in my bedroom. in their 40's both my parents were workaholics I'm going to bet I died when I was four. I called this visitor my grim reaper who was not there to take me away in death but to save me from it. why I saw this visitor again when I was eight I don't know maybe so I know it existed and I think it was me actually. I am the one eye'd freak ra the all we win again.

• Posted

• Hi all... i took an interest in the question as two day ago i had a dream that was so real. Story short few years back I fainted but recovered. The dream was about that episode but with me bleeding and dead. Since yesterday I had the same question: did I die and i am having an out of body experience. I know but how can you prove a negative if the answer is no.
  • Posted

Apart from your dream, do you feel anything else that is different?

I am being investigated, (very slowly) indeed for neurological issues as the drunk zombie feeling and dissociation along with the feeling I am in a dream with depersonalization and derealization that I got from beta blockers now four years since I stopped taking them, adds to my originally posted notion.

On top of which, strange things are happening in my world in the past couple of years that are beyond logical belief, even if you say the same things are happening in your world, (the dismantling of our current world order to be replaced by a New World Order, something I have been warning my friends about for decades, is now finally happening using an over reaction to a flu strain as the excuse), I would simply feel you are probably just a part of my constructed reality.

• Posted

oh my. after having this exact realisation today i thought it pruden to start a quick search. i am 43 and after 10 years have moved back to spain from uk. into an apartment i used to own using a key i didnt realise was compleatly incorrect. im currently sat with my wife of 23 year whos not aged aday. my theory is i have died 8 years ago i was in a serious car accident. over 100mph i can assure you since that moment total chaos has ingulfed me. i assume the dead would suffer this confution. it makes total sence now. also just to clarify all my memory family i now deal with assured me im not dead but for obviously they would say this because everything i now hear or see is to assist me in the whole being dead!

im 100% sure im dead. and as my wife said if i am then just roll with it you cannot died twice! enjoy the ride what ever side your experiancing

• Posted

Funny thing is, I just sold my little house in Spain, though it was to spend half the year away from UK. In my land of the dead, the occupants have gone unrealistically crazy over a virus that they are using as an excuse to deconstruct the world I previously knew, to replace it with something out of a dystopian horror novel, so its certainly an interesting experience, plus I have the peace of mind to know I will not die, I was even told I had this virus though of course, it was undetectable to me. Other crazy things, I met a half sister I never knew existed, found because we both did one of these DNA tests, met her once, before we met again, she did kill herself. At the same time, there was a woman I was becoming friends with, we would talk for hours but had yet to meet up with, she wanted to join me on my next trip to Spain. Then I was looking at an online newspaper and her face appeared, the article reported she had jumped into the sea to rescue her dog, and they both drowned. Maybe for nicer people good, things happen to them in this twilight world?

• Posted

Hi Peter, I wonder this also and have for the past few years as the pandemic you speak of and the whole world forcing people to comply with these new mandates seems to me as if all free will is being removed.

While I also try to avoid all societal interactions I agree that this might be caused from a reduced brain activity while dying causing less rendering power of the subjective observable world. l still bleed and the blood is warm. I have done some other tests such as rapidly changing my destination in my vehicle onto side roads I have never been on and have no knowledge of where they go to see if new reality renders. The surroundings do render although most the houses look the same.

I have knocked on a few doors and some people answer that look different from other people but somehow I feel they might be different versions of me or me of them.

I drove for a few hundred miles and got off random interstate exits but they all seem basically the same with the same stores and gas stations.

It might just be a vivid hallucination or dream. I was forced into the hospital a few times and the police tried to shoot me a few more when I got confused or knocked on the wrong door.

Sometimes I walk around grocery stores saying nothing to see if other shoppers notice me. This strategy has become harder due to them wearing masks. If I am dead maybe its so I don't find out.

Some people say we are all one. I cant help notice that if everything is" allone" that is simultaneously "alone" as a big glob of all minus a L. maybe I am my own dead recursive reflection minus the L of life.

The hospital says I am bipolar 1. I'm tempted almost daily to do the jumping off of a high building to test it in a more concrete way however if I am not dead and become newly dead who would feed my dog.

• Posted

Probably best to not take that jump, even if your dog is a construct of your lingering consciousness, it will still go hungry and suffer in the world you fabricated for it.

Said dog must love you, that is the way with dogs, I was loved by a dog when I was young, it is the family waiting patiently for me at the gates of heaven.

Generally, I am invisible, I find it quite amusing to wander the world undetected, but very very occasionally, somebody sees me and is pleased to interact with me, that is such a pleasant feeling that most of my dreams are of such occasions and so I cannot take it as evidence that I am still alive, or maybe they too are dead and that is why they can see me?

Be nice to people, they like that, perhaps it might be catching and this dreadful world might refrain from slipping into the abyss?

• Posted

I like your idea of wandering as a nobody. I notice thoughts expressed by subjective knowing your dead vs feelings expressed by subjective acceptance that your dead are two different things. Since they both apparently originate internally perhaps with or without the existence of a live brain driving the process , it begs the question of which to give priority. When you experience both at equal believability its hard to understand where to park trust.

Trying to unravel the knotty paradoxes makes for a quick flight into metaphor. How do you explain without a cognitive lattice to build both thought and feeling into a syntax and language that collectively amalgamates both into a gradient of probable belief?

For me it always and in all-ways end up cleaving together the thought and feeling or cleaving them apart. I can't tell the difference which just leaves me scared and wandering.

Anyhow.... I hope that's helpful. I am still leaning toward the I am dead end of the spectrum as the current experience is weighted so negatively in the reality I still observe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.