How did the Atrial Ablation work for you?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm having the Ablation done in a couple of days.  All I know is it has a high success rate..  But what does it feel like?   is there ongoing pain or an awareness something is different?  Or are you just back to who you were before it started?    Thank you. 

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The worst part of my ablation was the stress leading up to it.   Since I never had any symptoms of afib, I really didn’t feel any different afterwards. My goal was to get off the meds with their terrible side affects and the successful ablation allowed me to do that — with the exception of eliquis. 
    • Posted

The medication for 9 months now has kept all episodes away. But the 50 pound weight gain is my nightmare.  Im not too stressed about it.   I should stop watching YouTube videos about it though.   My blood thinner is pretty heavy duty but works well for me. That a life long consequence of afib.   Luckily it can keep you living longer.    I’m ik with that.  Thank you. 
  • Posted

Glad to hear this as I am having it done next week. I have no symptoms for the most part other than on near faint episode...and going up steps..inclines. have to stop after a bit...I put it off but have a link and percentage of time in fib has increased so decided best to do it. I am wondering the same. Is there any difference since not mostly I feel nothing . 
    • Posted

Time will tell.  I waited a long time to get this done and the weight gain from medication is well worth any stress about the procedure.  Well see how we both fare.  Good luck.  
    • Posted

I have gained weight over the years and always think from the meds. my eating habits much the same. 
    • Posted

I have always been extremely active.  But meds took care of that.  I didn’t change eating so without my usual activity the weight just packed  on.   Circulation and metabolism seemed to halt.   But the ablation will get rid of those mess keeping me down and slowly get back to my regular self.    I’m very positive and optimistic about it.  
  • Posted

Mycomfyheart, I had had just a couple of episodes of Afib after significant physical exertion, April 2016 (cycling), Nov 2016 (high altitude trekking), and had my ablation in June 2017. Between Nov 2016 and the ablation I had virtually no episodes, and so it has been difficult to know how successful the ablation has been. All I can say is that I've had no significant episodes upon exertion since the ablation either, and I have continued to cycle.

Unfortunately, shortly after the Afib diagnosis I had a stroke, (Dec2016) and so have been on Eliquis since then.

Fortunately I did not stress prior to the ablation, and apart from a sore groin, no ongoing pain. I have my four monthly review later this week, so hope to have a better view after that.

I have only had to use bisoprolol once since the ablation, but that was middle of the night after a big, late meal (should know better) which sent my heart racing.....lesson, manage your stomach, and you should much better manage your Afib.

Not sure if that helps, but hope it does.

Sherpa Al

Irrespective of the outcome of my ablation review, I do not expect to get off the Eliquis medication, in fact I would take some considerable persuasion, having experienced the stroke.

• Posted

Thank you.  

I am aware and ok with lifelong blood thinners.  Glad you have recovered well. 

• Posted

I didn’t have a stroke.    A fib diagnosed with a EKG then medication then shock ed 2 times that didn’t work then wait for the ablation.   
    • Posted

Hi Betty47298,

I think your question was aimed at me, Sherpa Al; if I'm correct, the answer is yes, some time before the ablation, stroke Dec 2016, ablation June 2017 (NHS waiting time). The key point is that my stroke risk was deemed very low, but clearly now zero!

Regards

Sherpa Al

• Posted

Should have read, "but clearly NOT zero"

• Posted

I actually have been allowed to go off my blood thinners(Apixaban), but am still on 25mg of metoprolol & 2mg of perindopril twice a day (pretty low levels I believe?). Has been 18 months since my ablation and all is pretty normal. 

However, I have noticed that drinking more than a glass or two of red wine seems to increase the amount of PVS (skipped beats in my case) that I get. The literature around AF strongly suggest that  the skill of the Electrophysiologist doing the procedure has considerable impact on the success of an ablation. Good luck with it🙂👍??

• Posted

thanks simon...been putting it off forever. hoping now to go thru with it scared as I am. 
  • Posted

Thank you Mycomfyheart, although I have been very fortunate not to have been too affected by the stroke, my only regret is that my doct did not prescribe Eliquis upon Afib diagnosis, as opposed to my consultant post-stroke.......the reason was no significant risk factors, apart from being over 65, bummer!

Regards

Sherpa Al

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.