How did the Atrial Ablation work for you?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm having the Ablation done in a couple of days.  All I know is it has a high success rate..  But what does it feel like?   is there ongoing pain or an awareness something is different?  Or are you just back to who you were before it started?    Thank you. 

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My first, then second ablation failed fairly rapidly. The third three years ago now worked and I'm AF free. My first ablation was uncomfortable - very long 7 hours and I kept coming round and moving as I was in pain and discomfort. Kept pumping me full of sedative and did not come round until 3am in the morning after being first on the list in the am. I was very groggy for some while

By the time of the 2nd ablation the hospital policy had changed to a full general anaesthetic for which I was grateful. Unfortunately although I felt much better afterwards - not as long,  I developed sepsis afterwards, precipitating more arrythmmias leading to an extended stay in a cardiology ward before the problem become very obvious.

The third attempt was brillant. Felt fine afterwards and recovered very quickly thereafter

The ablation does not mean the erratic heart beat will go away immediatly. It takes time for the heart scarring to heal so you may feel some lumps and bumps but dont take fright and think the AF is back. If after 3 months you still have a problem the cardiologists will take note. Up until that time they "blank" episodes you may have as part of the healing process.

So good luck. May the first time be successful! I was unlucky! Take it easy afterwards - treat yourself gently. 

• Posted

Sounds very scary to me ..your experience...I have few if no symptoms. doing it because time I am in fib has increased..really scared..Many drs told me to do it. I hope I have not made a wrong choice. I don't want to feel worse after since I did not feel bad before.Thanks ..

• Posted

Even if you cant feel your AF Betty, it would be a pity to ignore what the docs are telling you. Your paroxysmal AF can turn into a permanent one and ablation is markedly less successful for this
    • Posted

Some very sound advice there Okapis. I couldn't agree more👍

• Posted

Thanks . I know that..then what...do you know when a pacemaker is prescribed? I thought maybe for rhythmic reasons. 
    • Posted

I have no intentions or expectation for Snowden maker. I fully expect to be as close to back to my normal as possible after 3 months 

• Posted

A pacemaker is installed when your heart beats so low that it can 'pause' -- I have had mine for over a year, and forget it's even there -- but it IS doing its job for me because I am told by the docs that I am 97% pacemaker reliant -- a little scary but it shows I really needed it.  My second ablation was successful and my reason for doing it (both times) was to get off the terrible meds they put you on when you have a-fib, which can only get worse as the time goes by and your risk stroke increases.   My personal advice -- I would do it again to get off all the meds and as for the pacemaker -- it was a good thing for me.  Battery does need to be replaced every 8-10 years, but I don't look at that as a big deal.  The worst park about my ablation (only the first one) was the stress leading up to it. 

• Posted

Good for you Suzanne, a very positive outlook, fortunately I haven't had to take the "awful meds", just Eliquis. My daughter has had a pacemaker for nearly ten years (not fib, but another heart condition), and she leads a very active life, nothing to fear from a pacemaker.

Out of interest, how low is "low" that needed a pacemaker?

Regards

Sherpa Al

• Posted

I was wearing a monitor and my heart 'paused' several times (not a good thing) and my heartbeat would go to below 40.  I started wearing the monitor on a Friday and on Monday morning my cardio doc called me and said he wanted me in his office immediately.  I went from his office directly to the hospital (across the street, thank goodness) for the pacemaker.  He wouldn't even let me go home to pick up a few things -- so I guess the pausing and low heartbeat was very serious.  All fixed now, thankfully.

• Posted

Someone had asked why I did not have a pacemaker so I asked the question. Dr. not sure if there was a pause one time. Heart beats very fast my problem..so on eliquis and beta blockers. I tried on antirythmic med that did not work. Multaq...Ablation in view now..
    • Posted

As I wrote I finally had the ablation..Told very successful. I put it off for years. I did not want to do it and fear ruled. Not good. Best do it. As I wrote previous pre-op test not to my liking but for the ablation out and woke up when over. I may still have to be on blood thinner. Not sure why. Guess remains to be seen. 
    • Posted

Blood thinners are life long because those with a fib will always be at risk for a stroke.  I was out and didn’t see any needles or tubes at all. Went to sleep , they did the procedure that took 2 hours and woke up with only an IV.     Some afte discomfort but feeling on the mend.  I walked a regular route yesterday and when I got to the end I realized I didn’t faso for air.  So I must be in the mend.    Lingering effect is bad heartburn     Can’t eat much and that can’t be a bad thing really.  Seeing as the medication side effect was 50 pound weight gain.   
  • Posted

I had stress for years as I would not do it. I finally did the other day.Truthfully the worst part was when a probe and camera was put down my throat looking for any blood clots. I also did not know they put such a large needle for the anesthesia. On taking it out blood spurted. My veins are fragile from other conditions I had before. Other than that one is out. Since home running a low grade fever..It appears to have been successful..
    • Posted

Putting the probe and camera down your throat I believe is called a TEE and is usually done prior to ablation surgery while you are under anesthesia -- did you have a general anesthesia?  Hope your surgery was successful......
    • Posted

I was out the whole time.  General I expect.   Doctor says it went well. Time will tell if it worked 100%.     

I am being hyper focused and careful.  I want to get back to working out and active.  Thank you.   

• Posted

Some anesthesia ...not completely out  for the probe..I was told it was..remains to be seen if holds up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.