How did you injure your ankle and what's your age?

Posted , 37 users are following.

I've been reading posts for a good while now and have found everyone to be so kind, caring, compassionate and helpful.  People are really friendly here!

I thought it might be interesting to just give a short sentence or two, on how we got hurt and if you want to, include your age. 

I got hurt at a Prince Tribute Skate (roller skating) on May 10th.  I had a Closed bimalleolar Fracture of left ankle.   I'm 51.   biggrin

Beth

3 likes, 160 replies

160 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was playing football with my granddaughter and stepped in a hole/dip in the yard. Torn peroneus brevis tendon. I'm 54. Stacey

• Posted

Stacey, those holes can be so bad, because they're almost impossible to see, until you've stepped in one.  Our yard is like that!

Beth

• Posted

YES!!!! It was a small dip really. Who knew the damage it could cause?!!! Already been 5 months and I'm only 3 1/2 weeks post op. It's hard done says to be positive.

• Posted

Freebyrd- it is hard to stay positive.  I have realized that the weekends are hardest for me cause my hubby, son and wife go out, do chores, exercise, yard work.... while I have to sit around and keep my leg up.  I have a routine during the weekdays when I am here alone and get thru ok.  It is odd- seems like I should be happier during the weekends. Just go a day at a time- sometimes an hour and know that a year from now- this will all be an unpleasant yet distant memory.

I am impressed- football!!  great story but terribly sorry for your injury.

• Posted

I'm 33, unstable fibular fracture back in July (no surgery). I slipped on a blanket at home whilst me and my 9 year old was getting ready to go and watch Swan Lake Ballet. It was 5pm and no alcohol involved 😭😭😭

Worst summer ever! Finally getting around without support.

• Posted

Anniea, I love ballet and took it, many years ago.  Swan Lake is a beautiful ballet.  I am glad that you're finally getting around though, without support. 

Beth

• Posted

Fell during frosty conditions in January this year while doing my job as a postman resulting in an injury called a Maisonneuve Fracture.Broken bones have healed well but it's the ankle damage which is still giving me the bother.This has resulted in Royal Mail getting rid of me on ill health grounds,maybe looking at another op to clean the ankle up.I am 54 

• Posted

Chris, I think it's a shame that they let you go, over what happened.  After all, you were on the job.  They should not be allowed to do that. 

Beth

• Posted

Chris- I agree it is shameful they let you go- and you were doing work .  Amazing.  I am assuming you are in the UK?  here we have a law called FMLA which protects your position for 12 weeks- so I am not too worried, though have to have more surgery for another problem in Oct so will be taking more than 12 weeks- not sure how it will all play out.  

Hope your ankle damage can be corrected... these are miserable injuries.

• Posted

Yeah that's what I thought,but it was based on the timespan for returning to work and the capability for doing the job.Walking 12/14 miles a day doing the job was the biggest challenge.At present it is still giving me bother walking,feels like bone on bone and unstable.But that's loyalty for you.

• Posted

Yes I live in Northern Ireland,I have been off 7 months and according to Royal Mails Occupational health doctors I wouldn't be able to carry out the job because of the injury.Lost my mother in law and brother and now my job in that space of time.Just a bad year but you have to look forward,hopefully I will be walking pain and cane free by the end of the year.

• Posted

I am so sorry for your losses over this past year. You truly have been through a difficult time. Pray that 2017 is a better year.

They say time heals but I know right now it must seem like things will never improve.

• Posted

Many thanks,I hope your own injury and the many others on here continue to improve and everyone can get back to some sort of normality.
    • Posted

I am so sorry. You were just doing your job. Doesn't seem right or fair.

• Posted

Hi Chris. That's awful re your job since having all my operations and issues (since 2012) I have lost my career. I used to be an ICU nurse. I am from Australia and got a job in UK. I went back to work after my first operation briefly (sciatic nerve release in hip) but was struggling. In and out of hospital with terrible hip pain. After 2.5 yrs of all this drama it turns out both my hips were partially dislocating which damaged my ankle and it started to dislocate (severe leg spasms which my ankle took the brunt of). So now I'm disabled and lost my job, career, independence, friends, working visa etc. It's horrible when an injury ruins it all so I really feel for you. Hope you're ok. Mel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.