How did you injure your ankle and what's your age?

Posted , 37 users are following.

I've been reading posts for a good while now and have found everyone to be so kind, caring, compassionate and helpful.  People are really friendly here!

I thought it might be interesting to just give a short sentence or two, on how we got hurt and if you want to, include your age. 

I got hurt at a Prince Tribute Skate (roller skating) on May 10th.  I had a Closed bimalleolar Fracture of left ankle.   I'm 51.   biggrin

Beth

3 likes, 160 replies

160 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I hit the back of my foot with a 200lb cart.. Fractured my tibia and navicular bones resulting in a talanavicular fusion in June consisting of plates and screws on my mid-foot.. Was in a cast for 3 weeks and a brace since.. Dr wanted to keep me casted for 3 months but my foot looked good and he decided the brace was ok now as long as I stayed off it ( I have an abnormal pain capacity and walked on my foot for 6 weeks before being taken out of work, so it's a dangerous situation for me..I forget sometimes.. And it doesn't hurt.. Nor has it since 2 days after surgery and even then it was tolerable just annoying) I was told if I followed his orders I could be back to right 5 months after my surgery.. That is my goal..Thankfully I have a peg leg walking foot I use to get around.. Hoping next appointment I will be able to weight bare but I know this surgery was very substantial and the success rate is not very good, so I am trying not to push it..it swells a lot.. Think that will not subside any time soon.. It's a 9-12m recovery typically.. I'm 34 hoping my age and great vitamins and supplements helps me heal faster than that. I want to wear two shoes again!

• Posted

Danielle, it sure is a long road!  But, at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm limping, but I'm wearing shoes.  I use a cane most of the time.  It sure beats where I was in my recorvery process, 3 months ago!  smile  Good luck with your next appointment!

Beth

• Posted

I broke my right ankle posterior malleolus on June 1st when I tried to ride my bike up a curb.  I am 41years old and this my first ever broken bone.  I spent eight weeks in a walking boot non weight bearing.  On July 26th I was able to be weight bearing. I return to work in retail on August 24th which has been painful and frustrating since I am on my feet all day and still having issue with pain and swelling in my leg. 
    • Posted

Elizabeth (that's my middle name) :-)

Eight weeks in the boot!  That's a while.  I was in one for several weeks, but not quite that long.  I'm on my feet at work (I do a lot of filing) and I know what you mean.  I wish I had a desk job, at least for the time being.  I can't wish you a speedy recorvery, because we know there is no such thing, with our injury.  But I do hope your swelling will eventually lessen.  I still have it, but it's only been a few months.  I've heard it can take up to 18 months for the swelling to actually subside. 

Beth

• Posted

I broke my Tallus and had to have surgery which required the Dr to break my fibula to get at it- not too bad with 4 screws, 2 in each bone although they look the size of decking screws in the photo. I broke it on August 11th, surgery was on August 19. I am now Ina cast and will be for a total of 4 weeks then a boot, but cannot put weight on it for 2 months per Drs orders. I umm well.... Fell out of a golf cart. Let's put it this way late night shenanigans with a golf cart and my cousin James at the wheel is hazardous to your health lol. I am 39 -- yes too old for shenanigans I know!!

• Posted

Tori, I love your sense of humor!!  I had to laugh at the end.  I'm glad you have the surgery over with - that's always good! 

Beth

• Posted

Hi Beth,

I agree with your post & find the stories & age very interesting. I had taken many small silly falls around house, outside, off curbs, & walking over garage cement lip which finally tore ligaments & tendons when I was in my 30's. Had surgery on left ankle & let right one heal on its own. Been through pt & such. But ligaments & tendons on L ankle loosened up & I began my falls over silly things again through the years. I developed post traumatic arthritis. Bone on bone in left ankle at 60.Had surgery on June 2, 2016 for ligament/tendon tightening, fallen arches & a bunion. Will be having STAR on Sept. 16, 2016. Many more surgieres on r ankle after STAR heals & pt helps me walk again without pain & swelling. Long road with bad weak ankles, but looking forward to a good recovery & walking after a few years. Patience & a knee scooter help me stay somewhat positive most days.

Thanks for listening - Weezer

• Posted

Weezer, sometimes when it rains, it pours.  I think you have a great attitude. 

I've near heard of STAR or what that is.  I know it's a long road, but little by little, we are getting down it. 

Beth

• Posted

Hi Beth,

STAR stand for sweedish total ankle replacement. Your right Beth! Little by little we will get there. I hope we all find comfort, support & stories of healing in these forums.

Weezer

• Posted

I hope your STAR goes well on Sept. 16th.  If you're anything like me, you wish it would hurry up and get here, so it would be over with already.  And yes, there is plenty of comfort and just good people on this forum.  I really like it.  cheesygrin

Beth

• Posted

Hi Beth. I'm 34. I tore my ligaments on both side of my left ankle, fracture my talar dome and had developed extensive arthofibrosis according to op report. I underwent a arthroscopic clean up and repair an open ligament repair and stabilization on my ankle as it was unstable and dyslocating. It hit injured because my left hip was partially dislocating and it took 2.5 yrs to figure out why I was in such severe pain. By the time, they figured out my hip issues I was having dystonic spasms from previous sciatic damage etc which caused my ankle issues as it would flick back abf forth way past the normal ROM. It was fixed over a year ago. 😄. Unfortunately still have a lot of pain and swelling and discoloration 😳

• Posted

Melissa, it was hard reading your post!  I can't being to imagine what all you went through and are still going through. I'm so sorry!  I'm glad they fixed your ankle over a year ago though.  It can get really frustrating, dealing with this type of injury and not just physically either.  In my opinion, it can be emotionally hard, as well.  Thinking of you.

Beth

• Posted

Oops!  That should have been BEGIN in that 2nd sentence.  I sure wish they would add an "edit" button to these things!  LOL

Beth

• Posted

Hi Beth. Yeah it was very frustrating as I kept going to surgeons saying my ankle was doing this huge clunk, was swelling and was very painful. They wouldn't  give me an MRI etc. I kept being told I had CRPS and I didn't need surgery! I could barely weight bear and finally found a sensible surgeon and he booked me in a week later for surgery. He said it looked terrible and he had to push the scope down the front of my foot and both sides to clean it out, plus stabilise it etc and fix the fracture. It's better but I still have a lot of pain and swelling etc. It aches and swells ALL the time over a year post op 😁. I'm not convinced it's ok to be honest. Both my hips have been operated on too so had five operations last year. Thanks. Can't walk without a frame/two walk sticks due to pain and weakness. I went to rehab four times last year. Each for 4-6 weeks. 9 months in hospital/rehab last year. It's been hard to be honest, both my hips ache and cramp etc all the time too. Very tired and fed up to be honest. But my family say I'm doing better so that's good. ??

• Posted

Oh yeah, I was bed bound for 8 months prior to them fixing my hip. It's was 12/10 pain when my hip partially dislocated. It was horrific. It was so bad, I couldn't cry, or scream or yell etc. I'd just go quite apparently. But because we couldn't get it back in unless I was sedated/medicated, it would be subluxed for over an hour sometimes, then it would clunk and drop and the spasms would stop. So that's how it all got damaged. 

• Posted

Melissa, sometimes surgeons really do need to LISTEN to the patient because sometimes, the patient really does know better!  Glad you found one that would listen.  I can't imagine the frustation - both dealing with the surgeons who wouldn't help, as well as the pain you're going through.  And I would be fed up too.  We are human after all, and even with the best intentions or the most positve attitude, sometimes, we do get discouraged and that is totally ok!  Thinking of you.

Beth

• Posted

OMG.  Eight months!!!!  Honestly, that would depress me horribly.  It would be very difficult to deal with emotionally.  I'm sorry you've had to go through and continue to have to go through all that pain.

Beth

• Posted

Yeah some times life just sucks and ppl telling you to be positive doesn't help because you're lying in bed and feel awful. After I had a 1.5 lt bleed into my right hip last October, I remember a nurse telling me that there are ppl is worst position than me and to buck up. I really wanted to fall through the floor.

• Posted

That nurse may have had good intentions, but she is going to tell the wrong person that same thing one day (if she hasn't already) and she'll get an earfull.  I would have been tempted to respond to her, "Yes there are, but we are talking about me and my situation." 

Beth

• Posted

Yes I had a gigantic headache and photo sensitivity and was vomiting constantly and had just come out of ICU. Yeah... Ppl mean well so I wasn't too cranky, bad timing and a bit dismissive of me and my suffering as they couldn't drain the haematoma and it took well over six months to break down. It was agony as I'd had surgery only a few days before. Things are better now. ??. Just can't lay on either of my hip. Off see ankle surgeon, now! fingers crossed he can work out why it's still so painful and swollen 🍀. Thanks for the chat

• Posted

Went to see my ankle surgeon. I have arthrofibrosis again 😒. He doesn't want to operate again as he is worried about complications so I will have steroid injection into it which will help my pain we hope and hopefully break down more scar tissue. I asked what happens if it doesn't work and he said more rehab and wait. So fingers crossed ??🍀

• Posted

You cannot seem to catch a break! So sorry for your continuing discomfort. Praying the steroid shot will help . I need to look up arthrofibrosis- new term to me tho I get the gist 😉 Hoping foo better days ahead for you - and soon!

• Posted

Ah thanks Jan. it's basically a build up of scar tissue which is very painful and causes swelling and reduced ROM. Normally they operate with an arthroscopy to clean it out but because of my hip issues it's too risky and difficult.

• Posted

thx- it sounds awful.  I have bursitis in hips and that makes me miserable sometimes- I cannot begin to imagine what you must feel on a daily basis.

When you hurt- and I do not care where it is on the body- it is hard to think of anything else.  I sincerely hope and pray that you can get some relief.

• Posted

Oh ouch! Can they do anything? Yeah, I get very fatigued and some days the pain and fatigue just makes me cry all day. Yeah, I hope the injection might help😊. I don't want another operation! It's too tiring and my hearts been having a lot of ectopic beats and racing for no reason. Just taken it's toll apparently. Thanks very much for your kind wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.