How did you injure your ankle and what's your age?

Posted , 37 users are following.

I've been reading posts for a good while now and have found everyone to be so kind, caring, compassionate and helpful.  People are really friendly here!

I thought it might be interesting to just give a short sentence or two, on how we got hurt and if you want to, include your age. 

I got hurt at a Prince Tribute Skate (roller skating) on May 10th.  I had a Closed bimalleolar Fracture of left ankle.   I'm 51.   biggrin

Beth

3 likes, 160 replies

160 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well at least you have a fab fall story!! Still heartbroken over Prince! 💜 I am 47. I fell off the two little steps going from my kitchen to the garage. August 3rd. Broke tib and fib. Surgery August 11 screws and plate.

Currently in 2nd hard cast, go to Dr Wed to likely be recast for 2 more weeks then hopefully walking boot. Burning pain is still pretty bad, can't tell if it is incision or nerve pain. I have 3 teenage daughters at home (not driving yet) so "mom taxi" being out of commission is really hard! Hubby is great but "mr. Mom" isn't his strong suit. I get around a little on the knee scooter but it's exhausting. I know I've scarred them all for life having to help me get in and out of shower. Nothing like seeing mom naked on a knee scooter! Poor kid. Looking forward to the end of this!!!

• Posted

Kelly- isn't it amazing how fast it can happen?  Lives change in a blink of an eye for sure.  Glad your teens are girls!  Our boys are grown adn live out of state so it has been my hubby.  I have a scooter, walker and crutches- all 3 are used.  I agree about the scooter- it is wonderful but is exhausting.  I went to church yesterday for the first time in 6 weeks (since accident) and was exhausted when I got home.  I am pretty sure that the scooter makes that burning pain worse... I believe (despite having padding in the front of the cast) that it causes a nerve or the cast to rub up on the inner ankle.  the pain is always worse after I use it for any length of time.. who knows.  I will have the cast 7 weeks- and get it off in 8 days.  I am coutning them off.

I have learned to get in the shower alone w/ the walker and seat set correctly.  I can even put the cast condom on but that takes a lot of imagination to get my foot up high enough.  Hubby helps me in the shower the days he is home.  He worked at home for the first 3 weeks as he was afriad I could not take care of myself.  I laughed about your girls being scarred!  That shows a great attitude and one day- one day... you will all laugh about it.

I could not have made it this far w/out a wonderful husband and friends bringing food, cards, visits, and just a lot of support.  

Sounds like you are about a week behind me so know this- we are going to make it!  

One of my goals has been to not gain weight but the good thing is that it takes so much effort to get the kitchen that it has not been a problem at all. biggrin.  Though I am definately turning into a marshmellow- despite trying to do some upper body stuff.  It is really hard to be motivated and keep the leg elevated at the same time.  

Will be anxious to hear about your visit on Wed- praying the skin and incisions look good.  

• Posted

Kelly, you crack me up on your last few sentences!  My husband had to help me wash my hair (he wet it and I washed it), while I sat on the lip of our shower.  NOT a pretty sight, I assure you.  I felt badly for him.  Haha! 

Beth

• Posted

Sounds like our husbands and kidsneedtheir own forum! The stories they would share 😱

• Posted

Jan, you got that right!  My poor husband was at my beck & call.  Waiting on me hand & foot for a good while (several weeks).  He'd come home from work and get my dinner ready (soup and chips - I'm easy to please LOL) and serve it to me on a tray.  I work, but I was out for 6 weeks.  I'm usually the one who fixes dinner and serves him.  I wash all the dishes and he never has to lift a finger - except of course for those several weeks.  He finally said the words I LOVED to hear:  "I never realized how much you did around here!"  Hahaha!  Well now, he knows.  lol

Beth

• Posted

Ha ha- mine too!! He has been cleaning some too and even ironed yesterday for the first time ever 😉

• Posted

Now that is impressive, Jan!!  Cleaning & ironing!!!  Mine really doesn't clean, but as long as he fed me...........LOL!!!!!

Beth

• Posted

Haha😍😍 mine does not either but he was getting tired of seeing the laundry pile. Sounds like our men are keepers. 👏👊🏻

• Posted

So today I had cast off and final stitches removed over the plate site. Was not prepared for the amount of dead skin, yuk! (And the hair! Just a very unattractive scrawny little chicken leg)

They said the other incision (screws) looked like it was healing normally but left the current steri-strips in place. I'm now wishing I had insisted they remove and replace them (and get a better look at the area) because that same spot is still very tender under this new cast. (I guess they would have been able to tell if it's infected or anything...)

In another hard cast for two weeks, then I get a boot and can put partial weight on and start PT. I did get a prescription for gabapentin to see if that helps with the burning sensation in that area and the occasional "jumping" of my leg (usually as I am falling asleep) and some sciatic pain on that side.

If that one area would stop hurting I work be more "ok" with everything. I think I'm going to try and drive a bit tomorrow, if I can figure out how to get out of the car and into the house successfully. (Break is left ankle) We'll see... Just ready to stop depending on everyone else to shuttle the kids around!

• Posted

Hey Kelly,

So happy to get your update and glad skin looks ok. You and I have such similar symptoms it is amazing though mine is the right foot. I used my crutches to go down 8 steps and about 200 ft to get the mail today and was so proud. My husband is on a business trip until tomorrow so I am on my own.

I cannot wait to get the cast off next Tuesday and into the boot. Anxious to see the inner ankle again as like you, still burning and driving me nuts. I hope the gabapentin helps you.

The 'jumping' is better for me- it is just that one area and now ...

Let us know how the driving goes though be careful!!

• Posted

Hi broke my ankle twelve weeks ago had surgery plate and screws fitted I was walking my own dog when another dog came running up behind me and took my legs out I'm 50 got hospital check up tomorrow walking with one crutch back in normal shoe foot still stiff and some swelling but hopefully going right way

• Posted

Maria- so sorry for your accident.  Good reason why dogs should be on leashes I guess!  Glad to hear you are on one crutch and in normal shoe.  Is your foot the same size?  I cannot imagine wanting to put a show on.  I am 6 weeks post surgery w/ a cast and i still have significant swelling.  Going next week for the boot and was told that will be another 6 weeks.

You are an inspiration that it will get better and 3 mos is a reasonable starting point for shoes.  

I am thankful to wear scrubs and tennis shoes to work.. do you wear a brace of any kind or compression socks?  Just curious.  thx so much for sharing.

• Posted

Maria, our four legged friends sure can cause havoc sometimes!  Good luck on your check up tomorrow. 

Beth

• Posted

Hi,

I am 57 and was in a car accident when a woman coming from the opposite direction veered into my lane.  I broke my ankle applying the brake and my tibia dislocated/fractured and came up through the top of my foot.  That along with other injuries sent me to Shock Trauma in Baltimore.  Air bag and seat belt saved my life.  I am in week 2 of boot after 3 weeks in external fixation device.  I agree this is a a wonderful support group.

Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.