How do I know if it's too late for me?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I cannot stop and have pain under my right rib.

Also am a 54 year old woman .Had 3 years sobriety and want to get sober but i am afraid j cannot

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You need to go to your GP immediately and we totally honest about your drinking and your fears. There is no point in taking any chances. Explain that you need help.
    • Posted

Ashamed or not you have to force yourself to do it! All of us who drink too much feel shame 😒But there comes a point where you just have to do it!!!! Please go to your Dr....maybe even ask for an emergency appointment. Or perhaps a nurses appointment if that's possible in your surgery.

• Posted

I always prefer to know which country someone is posting from, before giving advice. This is a British website and the way our health service works is completely different to the US. The fact that the OP used the phrase 'sobriety' makes me believe that she is not based here in the UK.

• Posted

if i'm not mistaken, the pain under your right rib could be your liver. i'm only saying because that was the case with me

• Posted

But once you have that... Isn't a sign the liver is going to shut down ? Too damaged to be repaired?

• Posted

you are right about it being a sign. i was at my doctor's office for a regular check up and he pressed on my liver and asked if it hurt...i said yes, and that's when he asked me if i drank. i'd never mentioned that to him, i was ashamed too. anyway he told me to cut way back or stop, and come in for bloodwork every 3 months for about a year. so i did as he said because i'd gotten very scared. i didn't quit altogether...just cut back a lot. my liver is not in any danger right now, but if i start drinking too much again..it will get bad. i was lucky he found that, and then was lucky to have the oportunnity to get better. see your doctor. don't be afraid it's too late. you could be like me and have time to get healthier  x

• Posted

The liver the liver is an amazing organ! It can actually regenerate and repair itself if we allow it to. You will need help initially and medication in the meantime. You must make that appointment so you can start recovering!!!!
    • Posted

Agreed! When I was having surgery on my knee, the surgeon commented that he could see from my blood tests that 'I like a drink or two.' He showed me a reading for my liver and it was way above normal. BUT, after I stopped drinking it went back to normal reasonably quickly.

There is no shame on this forum Terry. You really must make that appointment. 

• Posted

Pain in that area can be many things. As for whether your liver is going to shut down, the only real way to know that is from an ultrasound scan. Most (nearly all) don't get anywhere near that stage, although it can be a warning sign that you should not ignore.

• Posted

terry you are breathing..so it is NOT too late.

I'm 53 and I have struggled FOREVER. I had 8 years sober..and have been drinking for 3 years (currently not for a couple months)..

People always tell me I did it before and i can do it again...its not the same as it was when I quit in 2005...but I know as long as I keep trying and don't give up it will never be too late.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.