How do I walk??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Doctor today looked at x-ray and saw progress (bone growth). Said I could bear weight on it (as tolerated)....Now what? Currently using a walker. Sent me with a referral to start rehab but can't get in right away. I don't want to waste any time. When they first release you to be able to bear weight...What's the first step (LITERALLY!!)? I have to use boot until totally rehabbed.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is great news! I hope you get some good answers because I will be in your shoes in a couple of weeks so I am nervous about applying pressure as well.
    • Posted

Still taking small steps in the boot with the walker until the therapist tells me otherwise. This is scary! I want to walk but I fear injuring it (again!!)
  • Posted

Do NOT walk without your boot on! If you were just told to start bearing weight then do so with boot on and use of your walker. I'm at week 16 after surgery and have only been bearing weight for 3wks this Thursday. While in a hot tub start doing the alphabet, circles and foot pumps to help with range and motion until you can start pt. My surgeon is excellent and this is what I'm doing. Good luck and take your time!

• Posted

Great advice! Thanks Diane! Using my walker and just setting foot on the floor slightly and taking tiny steps...Feels very week and I know it will take time to regain strength.
  • Posted

Before first step in boot use Even Up Shoe over shoe on good foot. Even gait Is vital. 
  • Posted

How long ago did you break it and did you have surgery.
    • Posted

I broke it on June 28th and had surgery the very next day. I followed doctor's orders to a T and kept it prop'd up for the 6 weeks. Had to take off work but glad I didn't try to rush back. Two breaks, one on the inner ankle and larger one on the outer ankle. Walking in the boot only and then was told I can ditch the boot after therapy.

• Posted

I broke my tibia and fibula on June 15th. I went to the Dr today and he took me out of my boot and put me in a lace up ankle brace. I start put in two weeks.
    • Posted

Yay!! Get out of here boot!! Did it feel weird? I think it would be scary to take those first couple of steps without it! What should I expect?
    • Posted

I do not have a boot, cast came off on Tuesday. Finding it difficult to walk and no psyical therapy just exercises. All a bit scary.
    • Posted

I'm not able to wear the lace up because I don't have any shoes big enough to fit over it.  I did try it out for a couple of hours and there is definitely a difference. Your foot actually bends with a shoe on unlike the boot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.