How do you know if you are cured of scabies

Posted , 73 users are following.

Please help me i think i have scabies that wont go away.

I got a ring like patch on my right leg in april that was itchy so i treated it with an antifungal cream that made it subside but was still visible.

Then in late may i started to get a few small itchy bumps on my arms and legs that seemed to spread over time, i thought it was another fungal infection so i used sulphur soap and antifungal cream spot application for a week, when the bumps didnt go away i started to become really paranoid and looked up everything on the internet.

I thought i had hiv or std and got myself tested all of which came out as negative Thank God!

I was able to see a dermatologist last july13 and she said it was just an irritation and asked me to use a mild collagen soap from her clinic and prescribed citerizine (anti-histamine) 1x a day and to put betamethasone cream on the bumps. 2 weeks into this the rash spread like wildfire and it was red and very itchy, it spread all through out my body except for my neck, shoulders, upper back and face.

When i went back to the dermatologist last july 27 she said it could be scabies and asked me to apply 1 part 5%permethrin 1 part hydrodex lotion from the neck down twice a day without taking a bath for 2 days then stop and bathe for another 2 days then repeat the 2x a day for 2 days application of the creams which i did. My 5yo son who sleeps beside me every night did not get any rashes though so i had a doubt that it was scabies although i continued with the treatment she reccomended.

I threw away my mattress, washed all my pillows, beddings, clothes. I sanitized all surfaces and changed to fresh towels and beddings every day. I was already taking the anti histamine tabs twice a day.

i also started using sulfur soap since july 30 because i read somewhere that it helps.

But the rash was still there and its getting worse.

I decided to apply only the permethrin 5% last sunday august 4 which would have been my fifth application and took a shower the next day. I asked my mom and son to apply the perm just in case.

Monday and tues a take a bath twice a day with the sulfur soap.

And just tonight i noticed that the rash on my legs looks dried up and scaly, my thighs and arms still had the bumps. my palms are getting scaly and is flaking off.

All of which are still very itchy that sometimes i want to peel my skin off especially at bedtime.

I have red that it usually takes about 2 weeks before it all clears up.

But now i have these red rashes on my neck and shoulders and new ones on my stomach that i didnt have before.

I have been sufferring with this for almost 2 mos now. I no longer go out of the house or even my room because i look like a monster and i dont want anyone else to get infected.

I think that this disease is taking a toll on me emotionally, physically and even mentally. I sometimes want to set my skin on fire.

I dont know what else to do and im really scared that even my face and scalp will get rashes.

Please help me.

Please.

2 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Has anyone tried Scaboma?  It is a lotion for scabies.  You use it once a week for two weeks.
  • Posted

Same stuff for me... I was perfectly healthy and for no apparent reason my lower legs started to itch like crazy with no relief.  I used anti fungal, anti bacterial, moisturizers, calamine lotion, ben gay, etc, etc with no relief.  Saw family doctor who referred me to dermatologist (eczema on my legs and folliculitis in my hair).  She gave me a regimen of a daily allergy pill, bathing in a hot bath for 10 minutes with a 1/4 cup of chlorine bleach, and a topical steroid cream to treat the affected areas.  Still no relief and the pimple like bumps started appearing on the arms, my inner thighs, buttocks, and scalp.  I went back to the dermatologist who prescribed a stronger corti-steroid.  Still no relief, I took my allergy pill, and tried a variety of things myself.  I too felt like I was losing quality of life.  All the googling to find things and of course you always see HIV, and various forms of cancer as possibilities so it just increases your depression.  So after four doctor visits and struggling with this for 2 years I asked the Doc for 5% permethrin cream.  Applied last night, took a bath in hot water with bleach this morning, Last night I was able to sleep more than 5 hours for the first time in ages.  Today I feel itchy in some trouble areas but I read that with Permethrin the dead mites can cause you to itch for up to 4 weeks after treatment.  I am crossing my fingers that this will finally solve the problem.  I am glad to know its not just me but I would like to see other coming back with success stories and tales of finally beating this thing.  Incidentally I read something yesterday about people beating the scabies mites with treatments of cayenne pepper.  I havent tried it but I will spot treat areas with it if I am not feeling 100% four weeks after my Premethrin treatment.  Good luck to evrybody, you have my understanding and sympathy.
    • Posted

Hey Paul,

I can report that 3 weeks after my post and 6 weeks after my initial Permethrin treatment, I feel much better.  My quality of life has improved dramatically.  I notice that each miniscule itch I pay attention too just out of fear and habit.  I am not sure if I am 100% cured, but I would say I am at least 97%.  I have applied Permethrin in VERY SMALL doses to minor itches (before they become major) and have noticed it does help.

I am happy to hear about the new post confirming the heat, and I like the hair dryer idea.  Just keep washing all clothes in hot water as often as possible in the first two weeks after Permethrin application to avoid relapse.

Great to hear continual feedback on this issue.  The more advice and support we get, the sooner I believe our quality of life can return to the way it was.  I hope to have a 100% cured report by the end of the year...Good luck everyone!

• Posted

jools3 post is good! I would like to add that I am using a hair dryer set on Low. It's still hot. The word is HOT. My normal skin can stand the heat, but where the mites are you will feel it hot.  I found immediate relief. Keep near the skin, as hot as you can stand it for around 5mins+, moving the hot air around the area. Every time I feel an itch, I would apply the hot air to that area.  It's like putting yourself into a hot clothes dryer! That would kill em too! (grin) Another thing to use are those heat bags you put into a microwave to get them HOT. Here in Canada it's cold, (well below zero) so put all your belongings into a plastic bag and set outside overnight or longer. Once I found a bedbug after returning from the Caribean, I set all my luggage outside for a week with -20c..that worked.
  • Posted

I found many discussions saying cayenne pepper worked rather well. I will try this.

I found Lakota Diabetic Foot Pain Cream. It has this ingredient [cayenne pepper extract]. It's a fine cream and very easy to apply.  I touched a little on my tonge, and it burned!, so has to be strong. Another idea is Franks RedHot Sauce. (Cayenne Pepper sauce)

Anyway just throwing out a couple of other ideas that may help.

• Posted

Started using Diatomaceous Earth approx. two weeks ago.  Had very high hopes for the product. But it is not a cure all.  Noticed improvement, though. Got the best result's from taking it orally. However, purchased pure sulfur at a Compound Pharmacy and put some in my bath and shampo and WOW!  I am getting good results.  However, it could be the combo of using both products.  Also, I am using the sulfur powder in my laundry. One thing to consider, the sulfur did cause som some G.I. issues.  Both products are fairly cheap.  

Finally, I don't work for either company.  Have no agenda other than trying to help other's get well.

P.S. MSM sold in health food stores is not very effective in my opinon. 

Best of luck.

• Posted

I am currently struggling scabies and am also in need of some serious help!

I've had scabies most likely for around 5 months now and my first rash which was very itchy and had little red bumps where I would scratch, this showed up in early October 2014.

I went to a doctor immediately and was told it was a mild dermatitis and to just apply any over the counter cream which repairs damaged, itchy skin. This did not help at all.

I then went to another doctor a little under a month later and was then told that I had eczema. After being diagnosed with eczema I was given a referral to a dermatologist.

I was put on a month and bit waiting list and finally saw the dermatologist who took a look at the so called 'eczema' which had spread from my wrist to hands, arms, shoulders, stomach, lower back, legs and thighs and was prescribed with just another cream which did not help.

Now only a month ago of having enough of my skin getting worse and worse and hating myself for the fact that what ever I had I had now given to my boyfriend I went to another doctor who looked at my skin and shock and told me it was scabies.

I have used the scabies cream which you apply from neck down, all over your body for 8 hours once a week for about 4 cycles now and have noticed some change even though I was told that after 2-3 cycles I would be completely scabies free which IS NOT TRUE! my boyfriend used the cream to and I am pretty sure got rid of them but I have no given them to him again!

I have tried having salt baths almost every day for the past 2 weeks, putting tea tree oil all over my body, scrubbing salt into the scabies infected areas, bathing in almost boiling water and tried scabies cream but I am still infested!!

Please someone help me! i am so worried I'm never going to be able to get rid of them.

• Posted

Hi Nicki,

I was totally in your boat.  I applied the medication (permethrin 5%) in the last week of October 2014 after realizing my GF had the same symptoms.  We both applied it and it took like 3 weeks to subside to a very tolerable level.

As I mentioned in my post I believe the cream they give us to fight the scabies is some very toxic stuff.  So toxic in fact, I felt tinglings up until last week (First week in 2015) that made me question whether I fully got rid of them or not.  Although the feeling was different, my psychie was sure being messed with.

If you truly have not beat them, I would start over and do 1 full application for 8+ hours.  Repeat the following week (to kill the eggs that have hatched).  And then wait it out.  I am certain you will feel tingling for weeks to come.  But remember what the red marks look like, and remember the bumbs come in pairs or tracks, almost never single bumbs.

If you think you may have beaten them, but are not sure, it all depends if you have red bumbs in pairs or tracks.  If it is tingling sensations that kind of itches, then I would say that is the toxicity of the medicine acting up.  I itched for 6-8 weeks after the first application, but it was a very different itch, mild compared to un-treated scabies at it's peak.

It's unfortunate doctors are so poor at diagnosing this problem, scabies are truly one of the worlds worst problems that no one talks about, and until you have had it, it wrecks your daily life and we fight endlessly to hide it resulting in no one having any sympathy for our misery, never understanding our quiet struggle.

Hang in there, it is beatable.

• Posted

i did a permethrin treatment a few days ago and the day after i developed a really bad bump on my wrist and bites in a row on both hands, in your experience do you think this is a new infestation or the old ones being erradicated?  should i put more of the cream on my body?
    • Posted

I know this sounds crazy but I got some generic head lice medicine and applied it to the affected area but don't leave on for very long you could get a allergic reaction it, but it started drying them up and stopped the itching, I've applied it twice and it helped a lot. The way I saw it, is this is a body lice just like head lice.  My bumps are very few now and I am going to do another treatment tonight.Well I hope this helps.

Concerned person

• Posted

Hi Michael ....I've been trying to fight scabies for 3 1/2 months now. I caught them form a friend that stayed at my place. I've done many rubes of permethrin....seen 2 dermatologists that keep telling me it doesn't look like scabies ...taken more ivermectrin then I should and I'm now covered in red bumps Your post is one of the few that mentioned post scabies....what to expect? This is worse then the actual scabies infection I had which makes me wonder how they can be gone ? I don't itch like everyone says ......have done so many things game...sulfur, grape seed oil , diatomaceous earth .....how can this not be gone ??? I have more bumps every day . I don't know what to do anymore ? I have health insurance and have had no help from dermatologists. They look at me like I'm crazy yet I'm covered in reDry bumps ? Any thoughts??? Help !
    • Posted

Try coconut oil .Put a drop on your tongue .Savor the flavor.See the manufacture date.It should not have gone rancid.Apply on affected parts 2 times daily.Soak body parts in hot water for 30-60 minutes.Add Vinegar , hydrogen peroxide and bleach (sodium hypochlorite ) a little of each to the hot bath water.Apply coconut oil to moisturise.Buy many hand towels.To itch place hand towel in hand and itch.Buy many pumice stones or volcanic stones.Use stones to itch.Boil hand towels and stones to clean.God Bless you.
    • Posted

When the dermatologist says you donot have scabies , you need a  dermatoscope.Dear dermatologist ,if I donot have scabies,what do I have??

Wrong diagnosis is very very common.

• Posted

My son and I were diagnosed with scabies. My father is in a nursing home and he was really infested to the point where he was diagnosed with Norwegian scabies. This was later in the year of 2016. I had a mild experience and was treated but was not informed my son should be treated as well as well as well as every object in our home. Needless to say we both started experiencing symptoms so I took us both to see the docs and sure enough were put on permatherin cream and Ivermectin medicine. My hands are raw from washing, sanitizing and cleaning so much. No one seems to sympathize and they think I'm going overboard because I don't leave my house unless I'm going to work. Thing that surprised me is if this is as contagious as they say then how am I allowed to go to work and he to school.

I just did our second treatment of cream and meds for me. My son's Ivermectin was said to be done in two weeks. We were both skin tested and nothing was found. I have not noticed burrows of any sort on either of us but we did have the itching and his worse than mine. My problem is that even after doing the treatment I still had like two new bumps come up. The bumps itches for a second and that was it. I just feel defeated, lost, depressed, exhausted beyond belief from trying to wash and clean as much as possible. Thing is I don't know that anyone really know how to cure this and it's so sad and frustrating. I wish there was a way that the dermatologist and allergist and PCP could tell us the cure vs. all three giving different answers and saying it'll be fine when I'm about to go insane.

Trying to hold it together for my son's sake.

• Posted

You dont sound crazy at all.  I just had my forth surgey on my broken leg that i have been dealing with for alomst a year,  The surgery went great so well I had little to no pain but horrible itching a week out under my cast. Plz note this was not my first cast and the itching was 100 times worse waking me up and the only relieve was a hanger in my cast to scratch my leg raw.  I went to general practioner a week later when the itching and bumps spread to my both legs and arms. Fortunately she diagnosed me correctly the first time with scabies which is known to be in hospitals so while getting surgery i also got scabies.  She gave me the permethrin cream and i used it and cleaned as directed felt 100% better UNTIL 3 to 4 days later.  The same stinging needle prick crawling itching feeling came back and Im on high alert already after finding out I have bugs in my skin.  I tried to get a refill of the cream but my insurance would not pay it was $95.00,  So i did some research on some cheaper options and something that would work better than a cream just for the mites and still leave eggs that would hatch  especially with a cast creams are almost impossible to get every spot but i did get inventive I used a hanger to rub the cream down in the cast but I do not recommend sticking anything in a cast!!!  This is what worked for me I got dog flea and tick shampoo with PYRETNINS in it. It is a natural toxin from a plant but still a toxin and can be dangerous.  Washed my hair and entire body with the flea soap let sit for ten minutes and rinsed, please becareful of eyes.  Then i washed with my regular soap and shampoo.  That killed the live mites and i did this once daily as needed and I read about getting a prescription of IVERMECTIN which is usaully the doctors second choice when the infestation wont go away with cream.  There is a way to get it without a prescription and very cheap.. Go to a local animal feed store for example tractor supply .  They have a paste for horses of Ivermectin 1.87%VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU GET THE PASTE WITH ONLY IVERMECTIN  if your not sure just ask a clerk better to be safe than sorry. The dosage is measured out for horese so u just divide the dose in half and then that in half until u get close to ur weight it does not have to be exact.  Take once a week, for three weeks.  The cost of the treatment is Dog Shampoo$ 6.00 the Ivermection paste $4.00 so in all 10.00 and it works shampoo kills all mites alive immediately and the ivermection kills any mites that hatch and bite you.  Please be careful with the Ivermectin there can beside effects or you could have an allergy but This is the exact same medicine doctors will prescribe after premethrin doesnt work just in a different form but i will be honest it taste awful, but if you itch as bad as I did that was my last concern I would taste anything if it would stop me itching.  I also have kids and I did the cream treatment on them even though they had no signs or symptoms.  The mites seemed to only be infesting in my skin  but I am sure  under the cast was prime real estate for them about 80% of that part of my leg was covered and the rest off my body was a few bunps on my thighs and elbows.  I also heard if you have a lower immune system they seem to flock to you and make it harder to get rid of but dont know it as a fact.. But anyways your not crazy at all I used dog shampoo and horse medicine and even it its crqzy I dont have scabies and hopefully this can help someone who is suffering and the biggest piece of advice is do alot of reserach and see what other people did that worked and try what you think would work for you and you feel safe doing and if at all you question the safety contact a medical professional or find a different remedy.
    • Posted

I was told to leave the Permethrin cream on for 10 to 12 hours then was off. I've gone through 4 tubes of this stuff and yes the itching has subsided tremendously but still signs of them. I also tried Teetree oil and got more results after one application. I live alone so infecting family members doesn't bother me but I have perilously stayed away from church and family so they don't get infected although a You tube video says not everyone is susceptible to them.

• Posted

If you left it a while before seeking treatment once a week may not be enough as mites may have proliferated.  Try permethrin on 3 consecutive nights then again a week later- you may need further treatments, so be aware of continuing symptoms.  I see your post was 3 years ago so I hope you are now cured.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.