How does anyone eat???

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am not completely adverse to losing a few pounds but I genuinely still feel so sick to my stomach on day 6 - I have absolutely no energy whatsoever because I can't eat. Did anyone else feel like this? I don't think it is helping my recovery.

Also wondered if anyone else had significant knee and calf pain at this stage? My knee was perfect before op, but now the knee is competing clearly for attention. Would be reassured if this is all normal. I wonder if the surgeon took a hammer to it in hope of more business!! smile

2 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sorry Rose, I am in the states so the meds may not line up at all with what you are given.
  • Posted

Yes i had calf pain for 3 wks after op seems to have now gone in my fourth week
    • Posted

Thank you good to know - looking forward to the day that the pain finally all goes!
  • Posted

Hi Rose,

I am 2 weeks and a few days post op.  I too had a sore knee and brought it up at my 2 week followup.  The PA said it is likely from when they wrenched on the leg to dislocate the hip during surgery.

I also made my physio aware, and she said the same thing, but that we'd keep an eye on it.  Hopefully that's the case for you as well.

As for meals, I was pretty uninterested in food for a few days, but just kept on with the bland, easy on the tummy stuff.  It felt that once my digestion got kick-started again my appetite returned to normal by the end of the 1st week.

• Posted

Rob you are a week and bit ahead of me/ so really helpful to read your posts. I remember our early chats about the operation. Are you glad you went ahead when you did? How are you feeling?

The knee things seems to be common - I was worrying that it was damaged or worse my hip had been fixed in the wrong place. Thank you for your post. I feel so much better that this all seems part and parcel of the recovery. I hope you are managing a little better and must be over the worst now thankfully biggrin

• Posted

Rose,

I am feeling a little more "normal" each day. I am almost off of the narcotics, which is really nice.  Resting these last few days as I over-did therapy the first week like a dummy.

Otherwise, I do short walks outside a few times a day. It still feels like it's not quite my leg, but just walking relatively pain free is such a treat. 

How are you faring today? Hoping your poor tummy has settled a bit so you can not have to worry about that anymore as much.

• Posted

The pain meds I was on, Endone, made me feel sick, though I had also been sent home with anti-nausea tabs to counteract it. Stopped the Endone after a week as I didn't need it and the nausea stopped, too.
  • Posted

Hi rose,

Having no energy is normal -you have had major surgery and will feel weak and tired even if you are eating normally. Add the fact that you cannot fancy fod right now and that makes you feel wiped out completely. Drinks are a good source of energy (and I don't mean the ones teenagers live on}  Fresh fruit juice is high in calories, also milky drinks are nourishing. If yu can face it, yoghurt is good. Even a cup of tea has a few calories in it.wink I like a rich tea biscuit with a cup o tea - an easy pickmeup.

Shirley

• Posted

A cup of tea with lots of sugar is a good idea. I don't usually drink tea unless I am in shock or have had a baby - I will give it a try. It is good to know lots of people have experienced this issue - how are you lovely?
    • Posted

Good thanks,

I am off on a long train journey today so will be stiff tonight. Just doing my exercises before I set off.

How are your little ones?

Shirley

• Posted

They were tearful but happy now I am home!! Love cuddling them so much and feel so relieved it is over!!!! My daughters first tender kiss when I got home took my breath away. I thanked god that night over and over.

How are you Shirley?

Did you have a good day out? I can't wait to be in the fresh air!

• Posted

Yes thanks,

It was a very busy day for me - two trains down to see my second daughter safely to her uni interview and then three trains back home. Hip stood up to it very well but my general unfitness was very obvious. Good day out though.

Have a better night rosebud, zzzz

• Posted

after my surgery in the hospital, the food was terrible, so I ate very little.  When I got home on day 3 I still was not hungry, only ate soup for about a week.  I lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks and thankfully have only put 2 back on.  My knee was sore also and dr said that is normal that the hip bone is connected to the knee bone.  It went away after a couple of weeks as my thigh muscles got stronger.  Take care

• Posted

That sounds very similar - I wish I could face soup. I was thinking dry cereal might be a good start - how are you doing now?
    • Posted

have mostly good days and nights.  Not as stiff as I was from sitting, so that gets better to with time, thank goodness.  take care
    • Posted

Oh diane - I can relate to the food, terrible. I was in a dedicated Heart Hospital, with a small ortho & general section. One of the Soups they served had so much salt in it I put in a written complaint pointing out that salt was one of the issues for heart patients, and what the **## were they serving soup with so much salt you could stand a spoon in it, and what a total waste of taxpayers money, would you believe they acctually wrote a letter to me thanking me for my feedback. hahahaha, obsiously nobody had tasted the so called soup.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.