How does anyone eat???

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am not completely adverse to losing a few pounds but I genuinely still feel so sick to my stomach on day 6 - I have absolutely no energy whatsoever because I can't eat. Did anyone else feel like this? I don't think it is helping my recovery.

Also wondered if anyone else had significant knee and calf pain at this stage? My knee was perfect before op, but now the knee is competing clearly for attention. Would be reassured if this is all normal. I wonder if the surgeon took a hammer to it in hope of more business!! smile

2 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear sweet Rose, 

so good to see so many good responses and tips - 

what kind of "sickness"  do you feel? is it pain, or nausea? do you throw up ? 

Maybe you can call your GP or surgeon/ward?  You posted about having so much pain; did you get pain medicaton for it ? 

When i came home after 2nd THR I had this stomach bug - throwing up and all the other stuff as well - I didn't do anything about it redface - 

I started to have a little oatmeal before I took medication ... and that was it for at least a week - didn't lose an ounce !!!

Wishing you a better day - be gentle with Rose - she has gone through a lot, okay ...

big warm hug and love

renee

• Posted

Spent last night throwing up. I don't think it is remotely related to hip but it sure did a number on my morale. I had had two pretty good days (only tearful twice!) and now I feel back to the beginning. I have had a shower and that is heaven. Not sure how to deal with meds.
    • Posted

You poor thing. It is awful no doubt and you feel so ghastly. Re introduce your meds slowly one at a time - most important first ( DVT tablets if you have them) drink still lemonade sips and then when you are feeling better - warm sugar tea and sips of water. Really hope you get well soon
    • Posted

nothing today( hence not moving out of bed once.) Percocet in hospital which did not agree with me. Norco now but basically my stomach is janky and I have these episodes periodically. I had hoped maybe I wouldn't during hip recovery but there you have it. sad Tomorrow is another day. 
    • Posted

I really feel for you, I have IBS and Gerd. Mine kicked in after I got home, Gerd is worst I have ever had I also went through vertigo and post operative blues. I am 14 weeks still having problem with gerd so I can't take motrin 800 which helps me the most. Norco wipes me out and tylenol does nothing so right now I take nothing. Most of time ok but others my thigh and knee hurts...miss ibprophren!!
  • Posted

I forgot to mention, but as people have said, being wiped out is quite normal.  The first week and a half, all I did was really short walks around the house, the exercises twice a day, and eat a bit.  Otherwise, I slept. A lot.  Or if it wasn't sleeping, it was awake and staring off into space for who knows how long at a time.
    • Posted

It is interesting how little such an active person can do after this operation! I love sports and did not stop from dawn to dusk now it is a huge effort to do anything apart from flick over channels and it finishes and I realise I haven't even watched it! I had my first physio today and felt so happy to be doing something positive x
    • Posted

I appreciate you saying this. I feel such a slacker. I had a long visit yesterday from a grade school friend who drove 2 hours to see me but when it was over I almost collapsed.
    • Posted

I relate to this 100%, Rose. I think even though I was told I'd be tired I secretly believed my fitness and determination would transcend the experience. I have been humbled. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Hi Rose

How are you feeling today?

Linnet x

• Posted

Thankyou Linnet a bit better - it is a long haul but getting better by the day slowly! Xx
    • Posted

Glad to hear it. It is a long haul with good and bad days. But hopefully you'll be getting more good days from now on. 😀

Linnet x

• Posted

To everyone in the first few weeks

It is a huge thing that our bodies have endured. Some sort of anaesthetic, a great big cut which would be reason for time off work in itself, and then bone being sawed and Jack hammered and removed. Oh our poor bodies. It's a wonder we can even sit up in bed.

Allow your body to dictate what happens in these first few weeks. It knows what it needs, it's wisdom is greater than that of our conscious minds. It won't always be like this, but the fastest way out of the lethargy is to give the body what it really needs - rest.

Go with the flow, gently and placidly. There's plenty of time for exercise and fitness and activity. Later. When your body says its ready.

Kikeena

• Posted

I slept 10 hours a day for the first 2 weeks. And I loved it! I sort of miss the quietness of the early recover period. I just found this on the bone smart site.

"Just as a baby will take from its mother regardless of her health and well being, so will this 'child' body drain energy from the 'parent' body. This is the reason why, when a person wants to be up and get going on things, they very quickly run out of stamina and end up feeling totally fatigued and washed out! This 'child' body takes no enemies! It will take what it needs when it needs it and you better get used to accommodating its need to suckle else you'll find yourself regretting it big time! :wink1"

• Posted

I like Bonesmart there's a nurse Josephine, if you have any questions she will answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.