How far , how soon are you walking post TKR?

Posted , 13 users are following.

2weeks now after TKR. Pain is constant I am wondering if I am pushing myself too hard on walking. Today I walked into town and back, about 3k . Have been building up. Is this average or do I need to up or down the distance. 

1 like, 69 replies

69 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well I certainly wasn't walking anything like that distance at 2 weeks. 

If you are on strong pain meds and still in constant pain, I would ease up a bit.

Can you ask your physio? If you are pushing yourself too hard it could be why you can't sleep. Don't fall into the guilt trap, you need to heal.

Caz 

• Posted

Thanks Caz . Will ask them today. Just not very good at sitting still. Want to get out and about but could be why I can't sleep
  • Posted

OMG I can't walk that far at nearly 19 weeks!

That is a LOT of walking at 2 weeks post op! I think you are over doing ( my personal opinion) but if you can do it and are not suffering for it afterwards, then good for you!!!!

Man, that is amazing though, I have to say smile

• Posted

Hi Betty think I might have to reduce and be patient . See what they say today
  • Posted

I would take it a little bit easy. If you are in severe pain after the walk, you are over doing it. You are doing more than rebuilding tissue, you are giving the bone a severe beating. If you have ever broken a limb you know bone heals slower than muscle. At least give it a chance to heal.
  • Posted

Thanks guys I thought this might be the case. Didn't have any guide lines to whether I was be highly motivated or unwisely pushy.

have the physio today. Really not looking forward to it. As my bend is not good. And it's staples out today. My wound is quite wobbly and I wonder if it's because I lost a lot of weight and had quite a lot of excess skin around the knee area. Hope that's not a hinderence to staples out. Be glad when today's over

• Posted

So that's 9pm here, I will think of you.

My sister-in -law is having her second TKR tomorrow in Croydon.

Caz

• Posted

Thank you Caz where are you based.

hope your sister-in-law's operation goes well. I wonder I'd a second TKR is any easier. When did she have her first one?

• Posted

Sorry should 'if' not 'I'd'
    • Posted

I am from Stanmore, Middlesex. We emigrated to Australia in 1989. I live in Perth Western Australia.

my sister-in-law had her first TKR done two and a half years ago. She didn't seem to have a very bad experience. I have been talking to her since mine and she can't remember the crying or the tight band feeling, or the painful nights. I hope this one is as successful for her.

She says that you always know in the back of your mind that you don't have your natural knee joint.

Caz 10 weeks post TKR Australia

• Posted

Unless you were underweight to start with the weight loss is the best thing possible. Any thing to lessen the load on the knee and leg is a blessing. They tell you a lot pre op but the thing most surgeons don't get into is how much damage is done when the remove soft tissue from the bone before they cut your leg off, drill holes in the bone and glue you back together. Now you have a bone that has to heal, soft tissue that has been victimized and blood flow that was interrupted needing to find its' natural path. Without proper blood flow nothing is going to heal. I don't know what your pre surgery routine is in the UK but in the US we are required to sign an approval form allowing for blood transfusion as excessive bleeding is a concern. I had to have 2 units of blood with one of my tkrs. All in all, there is one heck of a lot things that have to be in harmony before the straightening and bending can take place. Again, the docs don't bother to give most of us an advanced medical school course before whacking, chopping,gluing and stitching.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.